Broken Detroit TruTrac?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Detroit TruTrac?

Does anyone know what they sound like when they are going out? Symptoms?

I have a baaaaddddd feeling the glump glump glump from the rear of my truck is from laying down more rubber than cal-trans in San Francisco

I really hope I have a broken heim joint on my piggybacks.

Last edited by sbchris; 04-14-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The TruTrac is not a clutch system LS, as long as it's installed properly I would think it should outlive your truck. Does the noise only happen on acceleration or whenever you are moving?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:16 AM
I think when I had some wicked wheel hop it might of broke some teeth as it is getting weird when turning. Spinning the 37's might not be the best idea.

I read on the mustang forums that the death of this unit is always wheel hop.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TruTrac does NOT recommend a tire over 32"..it's in the TruTrack users manual.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:02 PM
I thought I had blew my truetrac, turns out my passenger side axle is broke in half. The caliper was the only thing holding my axle in place. When I would make a right turn, the caliper would allow enough movement to let the axle pop out of the truetrac

(Those 2 pieces are suppose to be 1)

Easy way to check if you have this problem, remove your rear wheels, remove your calipers and pull on the rotor. My axle cam right out..

Old 04-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by FarmerFranck
I thought I had blew my truetrac, turns out my passenger side axle is broke in half. The caliper was the only thing holding my axle in place. When I would make a right turn, the caliper would allow enough movement to let the axle pop out of the truetrac

(Those 2 pieces are suppose to be 1)

Easy way to check if you have this problem, remove your rear wheels, remove your calipers and pull on the rotor. My axle cam right out..
Damn..thats nasty..makes me feel better about mine now, ever since you posted about your issue FF I was starting to imagine noises coming from my trutrac.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Turns out the wrench who last cycled the suspension forgot to fill one of the piggy backs up with nitrogen when I had some work done on the suspension. Sounded like a rubber hammer hitting the frame, weird sensation. All back to normal with a call to SAW.

32" tire max.... tell the guys on the jeep and pirate 4x4 board that lol!

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
TruTrac does NOT recommend a tire over 32"..it's in the TruTrack users manual.
Well, I can honestly tell you, the website is wrong on the 32 inches. My Manual says, "Max diameter 38 inches". An the tech at Eaton says 38 inches. The unit is made with way better materials then before, reason being they up'd to 38 inches. I bought mine for that reason, cause I'm running 37's. The Auburn I had previously in their, died a horrible death! Max for the Auburn was 33 inches. I was told different, an found out the hard way after it went, an did some homework on it.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK Guys.....I stand corrected !! Sorry..didn't know they changed the specs. I have 33" on mine and I love that unit.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
OK Guys.....I stand corrected !! Sorry..didn't know they changed the specs. I have 33" on mine and I love that unit.

It's all good! You only know what they have posted on there website. I pulled my manual to double check, cause I knew mine said 38, but you gave me doubt! I have the 8.8, but building a 9.75 to put in, an am putting in the Detroit Locker unit in there. They're good for up to 40's. I'm with you, I love that unit also. Should have went with the Eaton to start off with like I wanted to, but got talked into the Auburn. I knew I should have stuck to my guns, cause that Auburn unit is in about 30 pieces!

Quick Reply: Broken Detroit TruTrac?