Torn 4X4 vacuum line + heavy front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torn 4X4 vacuum line + heavy front end vibration

So basically my front passenger (right) vacuum line got stuck in between the knuckle and tire while driving so it got torn. Right when it got torn the front end started shacking very badly on the passenger side. My guess is that the 4X4 got engaged with the vacuum leak but only on the passenger side. Could this lead to more damaged parts? The truck was driven about 5 miles to go back home.

I will be changing the vacuum line tomorrow morning and hopefully it will go back to normal but something tells me it's not going to be that easy.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM
No chance, none of the dealers were open this morning and could find an actual OE replacement part for just the vacuum lines. So I decided to do a temporary fix until I can get the OE replacement.

Here are the pics:

Seems to work fine as I can engage/disengage 4X4 and the front end vibration is gone.

Cheap temporary fix (15$) all in all.

Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably wont win any tech award but it does work Good job!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 PM
I doubt any further damage came from it. I had a similar issue during a freeze that locked in both sides; 4WD solenoid was the culprit. Watch out for this little guy too. May want to get one as a spare part to have on hand. If not feasible, I was able to pull a MacGyver by bypassing the solenoid directly at the unit with the existing vacuum line couplers around the solenoid assembly using minimal tools and no collateral damage. This provided the required vacuum to disengage the hubs until repair/replacement.

Quick Reply: Torn 4X4 vacuum line + heavy front end vibration