Eaton elocker on 2wd??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 04:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eaton elocker on 2wd??

Would something like this be worth it? Obviously, being able to lock the rear on command would add more traction than my non LS that I have now... But how much traction would be added, and would it help that much?

Lastly, what would something like this go for plus installation? Worth it, not worth it?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same boat I'm in.
Was at the junkyard today and found a stock limited slip but slipped way too easy? Don't know if they work that way or it was worn-out? Are the stock LS any good?
My experience with trucks; open rear axle is a pain, spinning all the time. with 4x4 at least you can pull the handle. but a two wheeler with a locker is almost like a open 4by.. My 03 xcab long box 4x4 ram with limited slip is way more convenient than my old Chevy 4by with open rear. How I drive and where I go I seldom even need the 4by with the ram's LB.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Would something like this be worth it? Obviously, being able to lock the rear on command would add more traction than my non LS that I have now... But how much traction would be added, and would it help that much?

Lastly, what would something like this go for plus installation? Worth it, not worth it?
I don't know what a locker would run but it would definitely give you more traction than you have now, especially since you only have 2wd. Keep in mind that people have been running "Lincoln lockers" for years when off-roading, on a 2wd or 4wd. Lincoln meaning welding the gears in the diff to make a locker the cheap way. I wouldn't weld on a new/er truck but on a trail vehicle its fine.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:40 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
A Tru-Trac (Detroit Locker) would be less costly than a e-locker. They work very well and are a lot better than the stock LS.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Did some research, You can get a traction-loc rebuild for about 125.00. but by the time i get the rear out of the pull-it yard and rebuild it, install it with a drum to disk changeover. I would probably be better off with a Aussie or Detroit ,Eaton..just not sure about the spine count 01 f-150 2x4 with the code 27 anybody know it its 28 or the 31 spline 8.8 ? just priced a "lockright" for 331.00 at central 4 wheel drive? don't know if lockright is any good though?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:50 PM
I think you should have the 31 spline 8.8 rear axle in your truck. Search "Eaton Application Guide" for reference.

I won't recommend the Lock-Right, it will actually keep your axle "locked" way more than you'll need if you are driving on road the majority of the time. You may find it will even stay locked when cornering causing tire hop and unwanted tire wear.

If you want want full axle lock capability without surrendering your tire life and on road driving performance I'd definitely recommend the Eaton ELocker. Being able to fully lock your rear differential on demand will allow your 4x2 to go just about any place a 4x4 can go.

I'm with gls, the Tru-Trac is a less expensive option that still provides far superior performance over the stock LS. This is because the Tru-Trac provides a much higher bias ratio which equates to excellent torque at both tires. It is not a fully locking differential but with a little driving experience a Tru-Trac is very capable. (i.e. Using brakes to control wheel slip also provides increased torque to the high traction tire) I actually have a Tru-Trac in my truck and it definitely lives up its reputation in traction.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:13 AM
yeah I was thinking that too. the lock-rite is in all the time and is supposed to go to overrun on corners. sounds iffy.
My o3 ram with the stock limited wears tires out on the back faster ( scary fast and choppy) than the front even after 140k miles of usage. so basically ponying up 800.oo or so for the e-locker might payoff considering the price of 1 pair of tires is about 400 bucks.
Since mine is 2wd also, I know I would like full lock capability and the open capability at the flip of a switch. Just gotta scrape up the coin.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2010, 10:21 AM
SRB
turning the locker on/off is a PITA on the street. If you have the 8.8 with the V6 look at the 03/04 Cobra LSD which has carbon fiber discs. It holds well and will last a long time, pretty inexpensive too~300. 31 spline. Either that or the True Trac, either will give you traction all the time and some biasing reducing tire wear compared with a locker of any kind which generally aren't real streetable, especially the lock rite in my experience.

Quick Reply: Eaton elocker on 2wd??