2002 f150 4x4 front axle problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 f150 4x4 front axle problems

2002 f150 4x4 right side (passenger) rotates hard and then will break free rotates easy until it gets around to that same spot and then hard again. have already replaced cv axle and wheel bearing hub assembly. Do you think this is something in axle tube or something with differential. please include steps for repair.
thanks for your help.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM
is this with the wheel in the air and you spinning it by hand? what suspension mods do you have?

sounds like binding somewhere.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes with wheels off ground and spinning by hand. no mods.
messed with it more and removed cv axle thinking bearing in axle tube was bad and could turn the axle in axle tube with no binding installed cv axle and it would bind so jacked it up under A frame and it will move with no binding ?

Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Just saw this. Did you ever get resolution? I have the same issue with a '01 f150 Super Crew 4x4. I just posted the problem a little while ago. Mine howls when driving.

Titled "Front Axle/ Diff. Issue '01 F150 4wd"

Old 12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it is howling it's probably your front hub bearing assembly.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:48 AM
What throws me is I don't detect any play or slop in either wheel, which I usually would associate with a bad bearing in the hub. Is the drone or howl maybe a prerequsite to total hub failure?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I replaced a hub bearing assembly on my truck that was roaring like a train.
Bearing was wore out and you still could not wiggle the wheel by hand.Replaced assembly
and noise went away.You can not always wiggle the wheel, or that has been my
expierience anyway, and i have changed quite a few.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Yea I am now inclined to agree after reading the responses. I picked up a new hub today and I am going to replace it.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM
2001 F150 SC 4wd 103K miles
I wanted to provide some info in the hopes that this may help someone out in the future. I had a howl/drone in the front end. It turns out it was the passenger side hub assembly. In testing both sides I saw no play or slop on either side but decided to replace both hubs based on advice read in this forum. I did both sides to keep the wear levels consistent; the truck has 103K miles.
With the hubs off the truck you can feel the roughness when the passenger hub is spun. Something I could not detect when on the truck.
One issue I had was the hubs were essentially rusted onto the hubs, I tried PB Blaster, pounding, wheel puller, heat, nothing would work. I ended up removing the hubs with the rotors as one assembly. It was even difficult getting the hubs free from where they are press fit. A lot of rust in there. I don’t off road or go into water, just use the truck in the snow in the northeast. I guess time and miles take their toll.
The rotors needed replacement anyways. The inside surfaces on both were severely pitted. Almost like acid was dropped onto the surface and it stood there for a long time. Not typical score wear.
Regarding the binding feeling when spinning the passenger side wheel when raised. I don’t believe this is an issue. The differential is not centered, the passenger side axle/CV is longer. I had raised the truck under the frame cross member, both wheels in the air. The driver side has no binding, the passenger side does. I believe with the truck raised this way, the CV joints on the right are fully extended at a more severe angle. This is why it binds when spun. When I jack the truck under the normal jack point the passenger side does not bind when spun.
Lastly, I purchased the hubs and rotors from Advanced Auto Parts on-line with a local store pick up. Search the internet for on-line coupons; you can save a significant amount of money buying this way.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Glad you got it fixed,and thanks for the update.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I have on 01 F150 4wd, and will be doing hub assembly soon. Can someone tell me what size socket I need to remove the nut that holds the hub on?

Quick Reply: 2002 f150 4x4 front axle problems