My truck rides sideways

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck rides sideways

Hey guys,

My truck (07 4x4 supercab) seems to have a sidestep (dogtailing) when it goes down the road its very noticeable the rear axle is 2 to 3" set to the right so the truck goes down the road sideways. Been to ford twice and they don't seem to want to notice that it is there. It drives straight when I let go of the stereing wheel and there is no uneven wear of tires (My truck has been through two sets though in 32,000 miles) What can I do that would prove to them its there or what do you think is the problem why its doing this??

Thanks a million!!

-Chris

Old 09-30-2010, 03:56 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Take it to another dealer.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
... there is no uneven wear of tires (My truck has been through two sets though in 32,000 miles)...
I'm not a math wizard but, did you mean you are getting 16,000 miles out of a complete set of tires (4)?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Take it to another dealer.
I'm going to do a few measurements than that's a very good point

Originally Posted by Raoul
I'm not a math wizard but, did you mean you are getting 16,000 miles out of a complete set of tires (4)?
Yup my truck seems to eat up the fronts really quick the two outer edges correct pressure and all with steady rotation...... i do drive quite aggressively though

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's your alignment? I usually see them chevys and gmcs riding sideways down the highway.

Mine doesn't drive sideways but I feel like the rear axle might be shifted a little because the rear wheels aren't even with the truck bed, and the right side gap is much smaller, I believe it's dog tracking? Sorry to thread jack

Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM
go to a body shop and have them check the frame, they can tell if it's bent / not square,if there's a problem then if it's still under warrenty take it to the stealership and show them the shop report - fight to get re-embersed for the independent shop cost's

i had i problem with my 87 f150 brand new pulling to the right when braking - they repeatedly tore down the brakes and claimed they checked the front end - i ended up going to an independent shop and in 5 min they had found that the tie-rod ends were bad - only 5k miles, i went back to the dealer and fought to get my money back (i had the shop fix it)

Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Raoul
If he's running the stock hancook dynapro A/S then that is what almost what I got out of them. 18K and I got new tires. It wasn't wear from the leveling kit because the backs and fronts looked the same and I wasn't terribly hard on them. They wouldn't have been street legal by 20K but I changed early because they were sliding all over the place. Even a drizzle could be dangerous in the city driving.

Trending Topics

Old 10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by BLFX4K
How's your alignment? I usually see them chevys and gmcs riding sideways down the highway.

Mine doesn't drive sideways but I feel like the rear axle might be shifted a little because the rear wheels aren't even with the truck bed, and the right side gap is much smaller, I believe it's dog tracking? Sorry to thread jack
Don't know for sure but I thought it was okay just becasue it was even wear all around. I'm going to be putting on 34" tires and a 2" leveling kit real soon than get an alignment so maybe it will stop than.

Originally Posted by FF301
go to a body shop and have them check the frame, they can tell if it's bent / not square,if there's a problem then if it's still under warrenty take it to the stealership and show them the shop report - fight to get re-embersed for the independent shop cost's

i had i problem with my 87 f150 brand new pulling to the right when braking - they repeatedly tore down the brakes and claimed they checked the front end - i ended up going to an independent shop and in 5 min they had found that the tie-rod ends were bad - only 5k miles, i went back to the dealer and fought to get my money back (i had the shop fix it)
Great idea there is a body shop right next door to where I work that will prob do it for me for free.

Originally Posted by Longshot270
If he's running the stock hancook dynapro A/S then that is what almost what I got out of them. 18K and I got new tires. It wasn't wear from the leveling kit because the backs and fronts looked the same and I wasn't terribly hard on them. They wouldn't have been street legal by 20K but I changed early because they were sliding all over the place. Even a drizzle could be dangerous in the city driving.
I had the BFGoodrich all terrains stock on the 18" rims ...... they were wayyyy to soft now I got a load range E tire for my 34's and my buddy has the same tires on his 150 and it seems to show nice even wear not the wear I had on the softer tires.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Longshot270

quoted for truth.

my 06 F-150 had 20K miles on it when the factory hancook tires 225/70/17's and by 23K they where near bald. so I burnt them up and bought new tires.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Since it's 4x4 are you sure it's not because Ford made them stick out to grip when the front tires are not gripping?

My 97 All Wheel Drive Explorer was like that. The front wheels sat out just a tad more then the rears. I took it all over town and got the same answer. Even called Ford and they said it was because it wouldn't track in the same tracks and less likely to get stuck..

Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Video, or it didnt happen! lol

Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by BLFX4K
Video, or it didnt happen! lol
Are you sure your on the right thread?

If so, it is pretty hard to get a good video of the whole truck smoking them up while your driving it...I tried.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:14 PM
You have a friend or the wife film, burn them up, good to go!

Quick Reply: My truck rides sideways