So I replaced my front drive shaft u-joints today and...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I replaced my front drive shaft u-joints today and...

... it didn't help the vibration occurring when I'm in 4-wheel drive.

I tried wiggling the tire and there's no play so I don't think it could be the hubs... but ya never know.

The vibration only happens when I put it in 4-wheel drive and when I let of the gas I can here some slight grinding. Anyone know what it could be?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:02 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
do you have the same size tires all the way around???????

does teh vibration happen only in 4X4? are you running 4X4 on hard ground???

Old 08-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Yes, I have the same sized tires all around. And yes it happens only in 4x4. I was on hard ground... but when I bought the truck this vibration wasn't there. A guy at work thinks it may be the carrier bearing in the transfer case so I guess I'll pull the driveshaft soon and see if the vibration is still there.

If it is... I guess it could be the pinions?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 PM
It's been at Ford all day and they can't figure out what it is. They say the vibration goes away when it's on the lift but definitely notice it when it's not. They first blamed the lift... then said I didn't change the gears in the front end when I changed the rears (when I haven't changed any gears to start with). I'm starting to loose a little faith in Ford.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Well after talking to Fabtech they figured it out. Apparently the front drive shaft was never re-clocked (front rotated 90 degrees) and rebalanced (which was confirmed). Guess I'll take it to a shop next week. It took me 5 minutes to talk to Fabtech to find the problem while Ford charged me for 7 hours of labor in a shop to tell me they think the problem is the lift but they just can't pin it down...

Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by BlackedOut07
I'm starting to loose a little faith in Ford.
you and me both man, they have told me that on several occasions for things that cant be blamed on a leveling kit and add a leaf. like my brakes...the front rotors were unevenly wearing and they blamed it on the tires...then the lift. i still have faith in the truck but the customer service surely isn't there

Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM
glc
Received 765 Likes on 708 Posts
Do you really expect the dealer to be able to properly diagnose modded trucks? They aren't trained for that. When you mod your truck, you have just cut off a lot of dealer support and you are now looking at having to depend on the aftermarket.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Agreed on the modded thing, especially something that heavily modified.

And unless you agreed to each hour of diagnosis ahead of time, you dont need to pay for something you didnt approve to pay for

Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Do you really expect the dealer to be able to properly diagnose modded trucks? They aren't trained for that. When you mod your truck, you have just cut off a lot of dealer support and you are now looking at having to depend on the aftermarket.
Then when someone takes something in that is modifed they should say... "We aren't qualified to do this work" not "Yeah we'll fix the problem for you!" I know times are tight and people need work, but the world would be a whole lot better if people would just be honest. "You know what... I'm sorry, I don't think we can fix that. I would recommend you take to Shop X." Then I say, thanks man... and I bring them more business at a later date.

The way they handled it... no way would I come back or let anyone I know take something there.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackedOut07
Then when someone takes something in that is modifed they should say... "We aren't qualified to do this work" not "Yeah we'll fix the problem for you!" I know times are tight and people need work, but the world would be a whole lot better if people would just be honest. "You know what... I'm sorry, I don't think we can fix that. I would recommend you take to Shop X." Then I say, thanks man... and I bring them more business at a later date.

The way they handled it... no way would I come back or let anyone I know take something there.

i agree with the modded thing as well, but i agree with you to, they SHOULD be honest and say "hey, we cant work on something like this take it to **************" this reminds me of when i took mine into the FORD place for my transmission problem, 2nd would rev way high then SLAM into 3rd, everytime. took it to ford and they said the only thing to do is get either rebuilt transmission, or a brand new one for 1200-2800 dollars. i said ok let me pay for diagnistics and ill be on my way thank you. took it to my local mechanic (i dont know didly squat about transmissions) he drove it and said oh thats the (what ever the part was called) leave it here a couple days and ill have it fixed, called me i paid him a very happy 350 dollars and drove it home and problem solved

Old 09-26-2009, 10:08 PM
I've got the same problem. My drive line guy said to completely rid my truck of the vibration I'm going to need a double cardan joint on the drive shaft. I'll let you know if it completely goes away when I get it back.

Quick Reply: So I replaced my front drive shaft u-joints today and...