Take a look at these pics (rear end related)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at these pics (rear end related)

can anyone tell me what im looking at? in regards to the apparent leaks on my rearend...

Thanks ya'll

Old 03-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am no expert on rear ends but the leak at the driveshaft is the pinion seal leaking and the leak at the top I believe would be the rearend vent. Pinion seal is not a big job to fix. Not sure why the vent would be leaking unless it is plugged and you are building up pressure forcing lube out?? I've changed my pinion seal twice on my 97 not a big job.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
I am no expert on rear ends but the leak at the driveshaft is the pinion seal leaking and the leak at the top I believe would be the rearend vent. Pinion seal is not a big job to fix. Not sure why the vent would be leaking unless it is plugged and you are building up pressure forcing lube out?? I've changed my pinion seal twice on my 97 not a big job.
I agree for the most part.

I do believe that the lower leak is the Pinion Seal.

I believe however that the leak on the top of the diff is the diff cover gasket (easy fix). It wouldnt be too bad to go ahead and buy a gasket, pull the cover, clean the old gasket off the metal and apply the new one. This will also give you the chance to change the diff fluid, and inspect the inside.

Id also check the breather line, make sure its not kinked or blocked up in anyway. Its located on the axle tub and runs upward.

they are both pretty easy fixs grab a Hanes manual or chiltons and just follow the steps. They often give you more steps than really needed but if you follow them it will turn out right.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Thanks guys...really appreciate it

Old 03-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I believe the Diff cover just uses silicone for the gasket. That's all i have ever used.

Last time I changed the oil in my F250's rear I just used Blue goo....

Clean the cover and the back of the housing real good, put the silicone on the cover, making sure you seal around the bolt holes well, and lit it skin over for a little bit.
Then bolt the cover on, and fill 'er up.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by n3up
I believe the Diff cover just uses silicone for the gasket. That's all i have ever used.

Last time I changed the oil in my F250's rear I just used Blue goo....

Clean the cover and the back of the housing real good, put the silicone on the cover, making sure you seal around the bolt holes well, and lit it skin over for a little bit.
Then bolt the cover on, and fill 'er up.
Yeah i normally use RTV gasket. Mine had a gasket from the factory. Some do some dont. I didnt put one back on i just used rtv

Quick Reply: Take a look at these pics (rear end related)