4X4 rear axle seals leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 rear axle seals leaking

Hello, new to the forum. I recently bought a 2003 F150 4x4 140K miles (shes really clean), I installed some tires and it was brought to my attention that the rear seals were leaking. We pulled off the hub (all disc brakes, but the parking brake uses shoes inside the hub on this model) and grease was caked all over. Looks like the air vent tube/port on the top of the rear axle was clogged and caused the seal to blow. So I understand that the brakes, rotor, axles, and seals need to come out. Is there anything that needs to be done with the rear diffrential or gears back there? I think I can handle all the other stuff, but messing with ring and pinion gears makes me nervous. Any tips, ideas, or guides would be much appreciated. It feels good to be back in a truck again

Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try a search using "rear axle seal replacment" there is a good thread by Quintin that should help you out. He did a great job complete with pic's.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 01-27-2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 PM
If the vent was plugged the seals may still be good. Make sure the vent is free and clean up every thing and see if the leak comes back.

By the way you do not have to mess with the ring and pinion gears to take the axle out. You just have to remove the back cover, take out the locking bolt, pull the pinion shaft out, push in on the axles then remove the "C" clips and pull them out. There is nothing to set up.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the info, I could not find the thread anywhere but I contacted Quintin, hope he does not mind .

Old 01-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Whew! thanks for that, I was hoping not to mess with those...

Quick Reply: 4X4 rear axle seals leaking