Bad mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm I've noticed a little change in my truck the passed couple of weeks.
Then again I did a bad owner thing and totally forgot about my oil, so it was over used and was giving me terrible mileage. But now that its been changed a couple times, im still getting only about 350-380 miles to a tank. But thats understandable. Its cold outside, so it takes a little more gas to keep it within its average temperature range. try checking your driving habbits. In the summer it doesnt affect it much to jump the gun. It takes maybe 1.5 more times the fuel consumption to jump. But you divide that by the fuel mileage you used to get, it adds up. But if your jumping off the line in the winter, it then takes about 2 times that. Cause you have to add in the fuel its already using to keep your engine at its average temperature. And when you do that, it begins to take a lot of fuel. So in conclusion, what about your habbits?

Last edited by Hespen537; 01-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I dont know, the truck has no mods that would effect the gas mileage in a negative way. Has brand new goodyear tires to specs. Never played with the gears. It has custom exhaust and a drop in K&N filter that should help if anything. Hopefully its just winter gas.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Well, put it this way. My "toy" if you will is an 06 mustang gt. Loaded to the hilt with performance upgrades. So I get all of my adrenaline outta that baby. I actually drive the truck like an old man lately because Im being to careful to get an accurate mileage calculation. I mean yea, I pass someone here and there, but certainly no jumping the line or accessive acceleration. Never the less, Im a Ford man, always have been, Always will be.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Well in reality, an exhaust system doesnt always help a trucks fuel mileage. Thats more of a power gain, more than anything. Before I knew how annoyingly loud my truck was going to be with an aftermarket exhaust on, I had a Gibson duel exit exhaust put on my truck. Well, I noticed a slight drop in fuel economy. I thought it was because of a leak. Well I talked with a couple of my buddies, and they said that some aftermarket exhausts actually give your O2 sensors different readings. And that can alter your mileage a little bit. Not saying thats the problem. But wouldn't hurt to have that on your mind. If you had it on their for a while though, and nothing changed before, then it probably is just winter gas. If it still does it when the temperatures rise a little bit, then i'd be a little more concerned.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:57 PM
My edge evo normally revolves around 15.3-15.8 mpg while cruising, but if I leave the truck running in park, that number will drop dramatically in 5 minutes. Usually down to the 11-12 range, in ten minutes it will be under 10mpg, I've seen it as low as 4mpg (pull up, load some firewood, take off). 15 mpg x 23 gal=354 miles 11mpg x 23gal=253miles. It definatley makes sense that the remote start is hurting overall mileage. Try running a full tank without using the remote start and see if it jumps back above 300 miles a tank, it's worth a try if your that worried about it.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey, I just bought my 2006 F150 screw 5.4 4x4. I bought it in Phoenix and drove it back to Nebraska this past weekend. Through the first half of the trip, from phoenix to colorado springs, I averaged 15-16 mpg going 81 mph on the interstate which include some high elevations, etc. I fueled up in Colorado Springs and headed for Lincoln which is pretty dead flat, I could only get 12 MPG the whole way! Something changed and I cannot figure out what it is. It seems like a fuel issue as the truck did not change at all. I have since filled up twice and the mileage is still sucks. Maybe there is some type of winter gas? I know that applies to diesel but I was not aware of it in gas?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Oh yeah, its definately in gas too. I believe that its an additive to help the vehicle start better on cold starts, unfortunately, it isnt the best for fuel economy.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by WarrenH.
My edge evo normally revolves around 15.3-15.8 mpg while cruising, but if I leave the truck running in park, that number will drop dramatically in 5 minutes. Usually down to the 11-12 range, in ten minutes it will be under 10mpg, I've seen it as low as 4mpg (pull up, load some firewood, take off). 15 mpg x 23 gal=354 miles 11mpg x 23gal=253miles. It definatley makes sense that the remote start is hurting overall mileage. Try running a full tank without using the remote start and see if it jumps back above 300 miles a tank, it's worth a try if your that worried about it.
Do you notice that the edge gives you any gains in mpg when using the 87 octane tune? How about NOTICEABLE power? Without cutom tunes.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Ok. this is officially starting to **** me the frig off! My damn gas light just turned on at 230 miles! I filled up and figured out the mileag....9.8 mpg! WTF!?

Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM
did you calculate the tire size in?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 PM
The truck has Brand new goodyear tires so stock specs. Thats a pic of my old truck. So its not the tires killing the mileage.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:21 AM
Go buy a regular Wix, Motorcraft, or comparable paper filter for it. Cold air is more dense and to me there's really no need in having the extra flow of a K&N or other hi-perf filter. I quit using my K&N drop in after I over-oiled it and coated my MAF in filter oil causing my truck to die while in gear at a stop. I seriously doubt this is your problem but it can only help. Do you keep the engine cleaned out? Might take it for a good hard thrash down the road or interstate a few times and use some good fuel treatment. Using good gas, treatment, and running the "soot" out of the engine should keep it cleaned out and running good so you can at least eliminate that possibility.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Hmmm...Ill try the paper filter. I never thought of that. The only other thing that I can think of is that just before xmas the intake on the truck went. They had to replace the gaskets, (I was told they were platinum or something). I dont know if theres still something thats not right thats causing the bum mileage. The truck only has 35k miles on it so I was shocked having to replace such a major part. Also, do you think that a good tune up would make a difference? I know it has low miles but im wondering if new plugs would help. Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks again guys!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
I noticed a dramatic change in mine after I changed the plugs, cleaned the throttle body, and put in my Wix filter. Of course I've got just shy of 98K on my '04 so that's why I changed the plugs. It was horrible changing plugs because I knew nothing of the horrors that others had already experienced. Anyway on my '04 SuperCrew 4x4 5.4 NBS I went from 12/18 to 16/20 on mileage. I'm sure a long trip with a whole tank on 70 mph cruise would yield upwards of 22 or 23 mpg. You can't beat that with a stick on a big 4 door 4x4 like these trucks are. I have gotten 21.8 before on the interstate headed to Pensacola locked on 70 with a truck load of luggage too. I'm proud of my mileage now but a programmer is definitely in the near future once taxes come around...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I also took heed of some members' suggestions on here to read up on top tier gas and have been using Phillips 66 fuel ever since. I've experienced better mileage and performance than ever before in my truck.

Quick Reply: Bad mileage