quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick question

ok well it is coming up on the winter season here soon so i thought i would ask a quick question

my truck currently has the 3.08 open rear end

i have a feeling that this is going to be a pain to drive in the snow and stuff we get in illinois

does anyone have any suggestions on what i should go rear end wise??

should i go to a junkyard and see if i can find a truck that had a limited slip in it for cheap??

if i do anything it will have to be done quite on the cheap side

Old 09-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Assuming this is for the 2wd Super Cab in your sig pic...and this is just my experience...

Keep your current open rear end, get a good set of winter tires for the back, and load up 200-300lbs of sandbags in the back. And always remember not to overdrive the conditions. When things get slick it's much easier to start moving than it is to stop.

Until you get used to it, driving slick/icy roads with an LS-rear 2wd is quite a challenge...heck it can get pretty interesting even if you've done it for years.
When an open-rear breaks loose, your truck will spin one tire. But if you break a tire loose with LS, then more often than not the other one will slip too...resulting in two spinning rear wheels and the rear of your truck sliding out sideways.

In the winter, I don't mind running a 4wd with limited-slip since you've got the front axle to help ya out. I pulled the LS rear-end out of my van when it was a year-round daily driver. Extra weight for traction will be more help than the LS.

A good set of A/T or snow-specific tires is the best money you can add. Nokian makes some really good winter tires, but I've had good luck with BFG A/T KOs. I ran Cooper Discoverer ATRs on my van last winter and they did really well in slushy snow and ice too...they won't do too hot in snow drifts, but for on-road driving they worked great.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
cool thanks man
i do have 2 sand bags in my garage right now that i use as parking blocks but i will deff pick up some more when it starts to get nasty out

Quick Reply: quick question