1997 f150 driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 f150 driveshaft

i am trying to find somewhere to replace my rear driveshaft in my 97 f150. the truck is a 4x4, with a maunal and 4.6 lt. it has a 6" suspension lift. has anybody had problems running the stock shaft? Would an aftermarket one be the way to go? im trying to keep this as low buck as possible. thanks for your time. the currnet drive shaft needs to be replaced, whether it means another stock one or aftermarket. are there any places that could rebuild my current d.s.??? i am in central il if anyone knows of a place.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
What is wrong with your current shaft? If all it needs is U-joints, those are easy enough to do and don't cost much.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:10 PM
when i bought the truck, i didnt notice it, until it was too late. the drive shaft had apparently came apart, and smacked either the ground or frame, in which it managled the yoke on the end of the drive shaft. who ever tried to fix it, spot welded the u joint cap into place. the grooves where the cap retainer goes is also been smashed down, probably from improperly removing and installing a u-joint, like they smacked it with a hammer a few too many times

Old 02-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by ridnskyhigh
when i bought the truck, i didnt notice it, until it was too late. the drive shaft had apparently came apart, and smacked either the ground or frame, in which it managled the yoke on the end of the drive shaft. who ever tried to fix it, spot welded the u joint cap into place. the grooves where the cap retainer goes is also been smashed down, probably from improperly removing and installing a u-joint, like they smacked it with a hammer a few too many times
Your old shaft can probably be repaired. Ask a local repair shop in your area they will know where to send you. Good luck

Old 02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
x2

The local Mack dealer fixes driveshafts here in Windsor. Find a similar place in your area. I had mine shortened and balanced there when I swapped to a 9.75 diff.

JMC

Quick Reply: 1997 f150 driveshaft