wheel bearing installation...need advice and pointers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel bearing installation...need advice and pointers!!!

So i have concluded that i need to replace one or both of my front wheel bearings on my 2000 F150 4X4 V6 in order to stop the loud humming noise coming from the front of my truck. I understand that if purchased from the parts store the hub and bearing assembly comes together in one kit. Does anyone have any advice or pointers on this process? Do i need to remove the axe shaft coming from the front diff? If so, how do i remove it? I know i can do it myself, i just need some additional pointers....Thanks!!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
easy there bud there's actually nothing to it...

go get a chilton's book from autozone, a deadblow hammer, and a 1/5th of 100% southern comfort........

mix ingredients together in driveway and let stand trying to figure out what's going for about 3 hours.... finish and repeat as necessary

Old 01-29-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can do brakes, the hub is only one more nut and three more bolts. Pick up a replacement axle nut as the original is a one-time-use nut and should not be re-used.

You'll need a 38mm socket for the spindle nut, and IIRC the three bolts that hold the hub into the upright take a 19mm socket.

-Joe

Old 01-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I have gotten the three bolts off for the hub, but it seems like the hub assembly is really on there. Should it just pop off? The axle is free from the hub but the hub is really attached (rusted) to the spindle. Once i get it off, does the new unit just slide back into the spindle and attached with the three bolts? Can i beat on it ?? Do i need any type of puller?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elite
I have gotten the three bolts off for the hub, but it seems like the hub assembly is really on there. Should it just pop off? The axle is free from the hub but the hub is really attached (rusted) to the spindle. Once i get it off, does the new unit just slide back into the spindle and attached with the three bolts? Can i beat on it ?? Do i need any type of puller?
If you beat on the outside flange then the hub bearing assembly will come aprt because the big nut that goes on the ouside and threads onto the cv axle is what holds it together.Not a big deal since you are replacing it anyway but it still won't get the rest of it off.Did you take the whole spindle off the truck or are you trying to get it offv with the spindle still on?I found it easier to take the spindle off truck which requiers seperating the upper and lower ball joints as well as unhooking the tierod end.Then I unthreaded the 3 nbolts half way out and hit them with a big hammer going around the triangle till it came aprt.I replaced the bolts since the heads got a little mangled and put it back together.The other side I was able to get apart with a chisel from the outside and didn't requier a hammer but the chissle didn't work on the one side.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I have taken the spindle nut off, and I know that the axle itself is free from the hub because i can push in on it and it moves the axle in toward the diff. I am having a hard time getting the hub assembly off of the spindle. I have sprayed it with PB blaster and beat on it with a hammer. I will try a bigger hammer or take the spindle off like you did.....The truck has over 160,000 miles so it might be a little stubborn....Do i need to pack the new bearing assembly with grease?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elite
I have taken the spindle nut off, and I know that the axle itself is free from the hub because i can push in on it and it moves the axle in toward the diff. I am having a hard time getting the hub assembly off of the spindle. I have sprayed it with PB blaster and beat on it with a hammer. I will try a bigger hammer or take the spindle off like you did.....The truck has over 160,000 miles so it might be a little stubborn....Do i need to pack the new bearing assembly with grease?
Yeah you would probably find it easier probably with the whole spindle off and hitting those three bolts with a hammer just make sure you have them threaded halfway in so you don't mess up the threads.They should already be greased since it is a whole hub assembly asnd not like the old style ones where you can just buy the bearings.I just did this job saturday so if you were around me I'd give you a hand

Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
chapdog, I plan on doing the bearing replacement soon.....I may need your advice again soon.....keep in touch please !! Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: wheel bearing installation...need advice and pointers!!!