Is my truck falling apart????

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my truck falling apart????

So today on my way to work i was driving down the road and the truck started to shake a little almost like i had a flat tire or if a wheel weight fell off, so i stopped and looked but everyone was perfect. I drove the rest of the way with no problems. Later on in the day I was driving out for lunch and it started doing it again but much much worse (my windsheld wipers were bouncing off my window) so i slowed down to see if it would stop and nothing.(it felt almost like it could have been in 4WD but it wasnt) So i pulled over and put it in 4WD then back in to 2WD and it seems to be driving fine now. Is it posible that maybe it was stuck between 2WD and 4WD???? I'm getting it inspected monday so i was gonna have them check it out. Any ideas????

Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM
I take it no one has any ideas?? Or am i just an idiot and should know the problem?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I would check my inner and outer tierods as they can cause your symptoms.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Change the rear gear oil - when the modifier breaks down in the rear end , they will will shake like a b^tch. Feels like the tranny is going to fall out of it..

Once you change the fluid CORRECTLY , the vibration will be less apparent. It takes about 50 miles to go away completely.

Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
In an 06? Change the fluid already?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
In an 06? Change the fluid already?
Sure, most likely- he has some miles on it. It's also possible that the breather hose is missing and/or that the rear end was under water at some point .

He may have a misfire as well - But yea , it's definitely possible

Old 01-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Biggest reason I have seen with sudden excessive vibration is sticking e-brakes. Happened on mine, even though I did not use them. If it happens again, check the rear wheels to see if you have a hot brake smell on either side.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I have about 24,000 miles on it so far, i don't think its the rear but i never thought about the Ebreak it has felt kinda stiff when i push it in sometimes. No to sure i'll find out monday. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-04-2008, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford06FX4
I have about 24,000 miles on it so far, i don't think its the rear but i never thought about the Ebreak it has felt kinda stiff when i push it in sometimes. No to sure i'll find out monday. Thanks for your help!
On mine, it was always very stiff when I used it (seldom). Only went down a couple of notches. Got the smell from the brakes and had the dealer adjust it so the e-brakes weren't so tight. That cured the problem for me. Others have had to replace some parts due to corrosion. Do a search in the 2004 up forum. Quite a few have had problems.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I had the shaking problem also and assumed it was my e-brake. I took it out for a few days and was still having the problem. Along with it was the hot burning wheel rear passanger side. I gave myself a BJ (brake job) yesterday and found the RR caliper would not budge. Then I gave myself a real BJ.

Check if the wheels are hot or smell like burning. If so I'd check into the e-brake first. Some guy "Tyson" something did a good write-up on the e-brake issue on this site. If this doesn't fix it like it didn't for me, look into a frozen caliper.

Quick Reply: Is my truck falling apart????