Rear end noise 97 4x2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end noise 97 4x2

Just thought of another question. Does anyone know if a 95 rear end would work in a 97. My sons rear end is getting pretty loud now. I'm thinking about just picking up a rear end to replace it . I've never opened up a rear end and really don't know what to look for in it as far as the hum its got. Sure, if I found a pile of teeth or somthing, that would be rather obvious.
Any info on year fitting a 97 would be of greatr help. Thanks, Brian.....

Old 09-09-2007, 08:38 AM
are u sure its the rear end? i had a loud noise in mine and everyone said that my rear end was bad and it turned out being the u-joints.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:58 AM
jhitti, very interesting. I guess I shoudn't put the cart before the horse. I am not certain its the rear end. I did keep saying that I should do the u joints first. Just haven't done that yet. Perhaps I'll do them this week. I have put the rear end up on jacks and tried to listen, but can't really pin point it to the rear. Actually, the sound seems to be comming from the very center of the drive shaft. I've just seen so much on rear end noises that I just kinda assumed,,,,, I don't have any telltale clunks when putting it in gear or any slop or play in the shaft.
I'll difinetly do the joints before I take qany plunge and pull the rear end.
Thanks a lot, Brian..................

Quick Reply: Rear end noise 97 4x2