1996 4x4, broke u joint at the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 4x4, broke u joint at the wheel

Hello to all. I've been off the board for what seems like an enternity. Now I am need of some help.
I am looking at a 1996 Eddie Bower 4x4. Its got 234,000 miles on it. I currently own a 2001 with 205,000 and my sons 97 with 234,000.
Anyhow, this truck I'm looking at. The passenger side, at the wheel u-joint is snapped clean off, on the wheel side of the u joint. The owner said he pulled into work and heard a loud clunk, and found the u joint lying on the ground! I asked him if it was dry pavement and he said he thinks so. Now I see why they say not to use on dry pavement.
Has anyone seen this before. How much is involved in replacement. I wondered if its just a yoke or if the entire wheel hub assy. needs to be replaced?
All in all its a pretty good deal. I can get this truck for 800 bucks. It does have a small amount of rust starting. Above the rear wheels has a small spot and the door bottoms are looking like they will have holes in a year or so. The engine sounds great. No smoke or ticks. 5.8 liter.Runs pretty good. Needs brakes pretty bad and the front end floats a bit.
The owner says he didn't use the 4x4 a lot but if this is any indication, then I think he's used it enough!
Any input on this matter would be great. Thanks, Brian.....

Quick Reply: 1996 4x4, broke u joint at the wheel