clunk in drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add me to the list with this problem truck has a little over 94,000 on it the problem happens like when I first head off somewhere or slow take off from traffic lights if I'm not able to floor it and it sometimes happenes downshifting when stpping for traffic lights the truck has 3.55 gears and is a open rear with a auto tranny

Old 08-28-2005, 12:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 97 has done it since new....

Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I was having the same clunk as has been described a thousand times over on here. I took out the driveshaft and greased everything up good and now it does it worse. It used to happen maybe 1 out of every 5 times I would take off from a stop. Now it does it every time. And it's much more severe now. I was also looking at the TSB and it says it's for 4x2 trucks. Mine is 4x4 so should I be looking for a solution elsewhere?

Old 03-04-2007, 01:09 PM
add me to the list of clunkers as well. My 98 4x4 does it probably 3 out of 5 take offs. I recently clanged my u-joints, rear end diff. fliud, and trans. fluid. My t-case fluid is full and looks good. Is it possible that it might be coming from the rear drum brake? Maybe the shoes aren't releasing all the way after you come to a stop and release some brake pedal pressure then take off again? that may be reaching a little... I'm gonna change my t-case fluid and grease my output shaft next weekend.

One more thing I noticed today was that my slip yoke has up and down and side to side play in it. I'm pretty sure Im going to sound like an idiot...is that normal? or should there no play in it at all?
thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by ldefoggi
add me to the list of clunkers as well. My 98 4x4 does it probably 3 out of 5 take offs. I recently clanged my u-joints, rear end diff. fliud, and trans. fluid. My t-case fluid is full and looks good. Is it possible that it might be coming from the rear drum brake? Maybe the shoes aren't releasing all the way after you come to a stop and release some brake pedal pressure then take off again? that may be reaching a little... I'm gonna change my t-case fluid and grease my output shaft next weekend.

One more thing I noticed today was that my slip yoke has up and down and side to side play in it. I'm pretty sure Im going to sound like an idiot...is that normal? or should there no play in it at all?
thanks in advance.
I have disc brakes and mine does it too, so I'd say your drum brake theory is out. As far as movement in the slip yoke, mine has a little play in it also. I'm not sure if it is normal, but I'd really like to know.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by leapfrog
Yup , mine too but the dealer says its transmission 3-2 down shift clunk.........yeah right i told them not downshift but noise happens from start to about 10 mph they still wont claim its any problem and fomoco is no help all they did was call dealer and they said its normal......but they had reapired it before and it lasted about 8-10 thousand miles
Been to the dealer for the infamous 3-2 shift clunk, here is what they did:

Relaced the drive shaft

yes it still clunked at 20mph when you step on it hard.

Said it was "normal to clunk on the 3-2 downshift"

Went for a drive in an '07 scab and it did the same thing but not quite as prominant --- what gives?

The Mechanic at dealer is stumped, said they were going to call for more info/help on the issue.

Mark

Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What exactly are the clutch packs everybody is talking about, I took mine in today and they said my clunk is being caused by the clutch packs which they had to order? I assume they are in the rear in, I am familier with one way clutches, is this the same think and is it something to do with limited slip?

Old 03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry guys i just did a search and learned more than I wanted about clutch packs. How rediculous to have them fail at 23k miles. I am loosing faith in my truck rapidly.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
An independent mechanic once told me my clunk ('02 screw) could be caused by the engine idling too high causing the drive shaft to bind and not slide back and forth smoothly until the brake is released at a stop light or stop sign. He said the only way to slow down the idle was to replace the oxygen sensor because there was no other adjustment. I didn't do it and have been living with the clunk for years. Does this seem like a possibility to anyone?
Billt23

Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM
I have the clunk its really bad I thought it was the lift (6 inch fabtech)...but reading what you guys have here I guess its a big problem

Also been thinking of getting deaver lift springs would that solve it? or would I need traction bars as it wouldn't move the slip yoke then?

Last edited by 98infinity; 06-21-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old thread for sure! I have had the clunk for years on my 97,4x4 3.55 L/S rear end. Tried applying the teflon grease per the TSB and that worked for a while but always came back. I read about axle wrap on these trucks and how guys were having the clunk when starting up from a stop, fixing it by adding rear leaf springs, spring load levelers, or shocks. Anyway I changed my rear shocks about 5000 miles ago and have had zero clunk since the change. Just another thought on what may be causing the clunk problem.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 06-21-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 AM
hmm well Im going to order these springs sooner or later so I'll be able to tell ya if that works

Old 06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
05 F150 FX4 78K miles.

Mine did it new, maybe 2,000 miles.
Dealership took a peek and lubed it, went away until.

Now (78K miles), Dealership took a look, lubed it and said there were some metal shavings but not that bad. They said I'd probably need a new Drive Shaft in a couple years. They said there wouldn't be a catastrophic failure but just more consistent clunking down the road.

I'm kinda pissed, this should not have happened at 2K miles or
78k miles. I would think that major part should last much
longer than that.

Quick Reply: clunk in drivetrain