4X4 not engaging.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 not engaging.....

I have a 2002 xlt with the floor T-case shift. It feels like the t-case changes because I can hear some gear noise down there, but the "4X4" light never comes on, and the hubs don't engage. I also don't hear the "clicking" under the dash from the relays or whatever are under there. Sometimes, if I fiddle with the t-case shifter, sometimes going all the way down to 4-Low, it goes into 4X4 and then it will shift into 4-Hi and stay engaged. I didn't find much here as far as people who've experienced this, and those who have seem to have older trucks, 1997-1999 or so. It goes to Ford tomorrow, under warranty, but I'd like to have a "heads up" anyhow.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:45 PM
15 readers and no replies, huh? Oh well. The dealership has it now. Hopfully it's something simple and I'll have her back in a few days.

On a sidenote, anyone know how the t-case shift **** was attached? 'Cause mine slips right off. I can't feel any threads or splines or anything there. Please, please don't tell me the thing was just glued there!

Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I just had a similar problem. Mine was the auto hubs not engaging. However, the 4X4 light was coming on. The auto hubs were packed with grease

Old 01-06-2004, 10:57 PM
4x4 not engaging

Encountered same problem today trying to use 4wd in the snow. 4wd dash lights come on, but no engagement in the front end. Tried 4wd-low and heard the rear-end click in and the truck was definately in low, but still no engagement in front end. I have a 1998 F150 with ~82K miles.

Mike

Old 01-07-2004, 05:32 AM
Hi All-

I had the same problem last Spring. It was the vacuum motor on the front axle. I purchased a new one from Ford and 20 minutes later it was working again. To diagnose the problem, I laid under the front end while my brother engaged the 4WD, when I saw the motor was not moving at all, I figured it was the problem. Something to check out I guess.

-Crotteau

Old 01-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. When I put the t-case into neutral or 4-LOW, and then back to 4-HI, usually back and forth a few times, the 4X4 will work. The front hub engagement doesn't just not work at all, so I'm pretty sure the problem is whatever in the t-case makes the front hubs engage when it's shifted into 4-wheel.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:45 AM
Truck's all fixed. It was a switch in the t-case that activates the front hubs. Part # E7TZ*7E440*AA which the paperwork calls a "SW ASSY-TRANS OIL PRESS" which I'm guessing stands for transfer case oil pressure switch. Kind of strange. All I know is it works, and luckily was still covered under warranty. This is the first warranty work for it in 1.5 years and 32K miles. Hopefully it's the last, but I doubt it somehow unfortunately. There was this beautiful silver '04 Mustang GT just screaming my name every time I walked by it.......ah, I miss youth!

Old 01-08-2004, 02:05 AM
I know there have been a few threads on here saying to make sure you engage the 4hi and low every once in a while to keep it in working order. Now if that would have stop the pressure switch from going bad who knows. I had a 2000 with the lever and I put it in 4hi at least once a month. I traded it in with 53k and never had a problem with the 4x4. As a matter of fact the last snow storm in winter 2003 i drove from boston to albany in 4hi at about 35 mph. i got the best gas milage ever. only used a 1/4 tank.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:59 AM
kev
Originally posted by nditech
I know there have been a few threads on here saying to make sure you engage the 4hi and low every once in a while to keep it in working order. Now if that would have stop the pressure switch from going bad who knows. I had a 2000 with the lever and I put it in 4hi at least once a month. I traded it in with 53k and never had a problem with the 4x4. As a matter of fact the last snow storm in winter 2003 i drove from boston to albany in 4hi at about 35 mph. i got the best gas milage ever. only used a 1/4 tank.
I use mine almost weekly and I still lost my 4x4 this weekend Of course it decides to go when it is 9 below zero and snowing! Nothing like laying on snow and ice in frigid weather trying to fix this thing! Oh what I wouldn't do for an old fashioned manual hub 4x4 system!

Thanks for the info on the pressure switch. I will check into it tonight. I will also check out the diaphram.

kev

Old 01-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Kev,

Did you figure out what was wrong with your truck and what the solution was?

G

Old 02-07-2004, 01:06 AM
OK...Now just tonight I've seen two posts: one that states that the 97-up MSOF/ESOF systems still use an "auto locking hub" system and one that states that "there are no hubs to lock, the disconnect is in the front differential" This is important because right now...my `97 F150 4.6L/MSOF/5Sp (w/86K mi) is at AAMCO and they are getting ready to spend $300+ to tear apart the front differential. Front Driveshaft is turning just fine in 4-hi and 4-lo, but no power is getting to the front wheels.

1. Do I have a hub problem?
2. What's the most likely broke part?

Ford dealer wanted $500 to rebuild the transfer case--glad y'all told me they were full of s**t.

Jordan Murphy

Old 02-07-2004, 01:08 AM
OK...Now just tonight I've seen two posts: one that states that the 97-up MSOF/ESOF systems still use an "auto locking hub" system and one that states that "there are no hubs to lock, the disconnect is in the front differential" This is important because right now...my `97 F150 4.6L/MSOF/5Sp (w/86K mi) is at AAMCO and they are getting ready to spend $300+ to tear apart the front differential. Front Driveshaft is turning just fine in 4-hi and 4-lo, but no power is getting to the front wheels.

1. Do I have a hub problem?
2. What's the most likely broke part?

Ford dealer wanted $500 to rebuild the transfer case--glad y'all told me they were full of s**t.

Jordan Murphy

Old 02-07-2004, 12:50 PM
kev
Yeah stupid me inadvertantly switched the vacuum lines at the one solenoid on the firewall. I replaced the vacuum lines this past summer because the one cracked and since have not had 4x4. I was wondering why I haven't been having as good of traction as I used to, lol. Good thing I never was in a situation where I really needed it, hehe.

Mine is all fixed now and working good.

kev

Old 02-09-2004, 04:01 AM
Well, I have been having the same problem. I used the 4x4 all summer and didn't have a problem, but as soon as the first ice storm hits it decides to act up.

I have found that the transfer case will engage, but the front end doesn't transfer the power to the wheels...the drive shaft turns, but no 4x4. So about 2 weeks ago I replaced the vacuum motor on the front axle. It worked fine for 1 time in the snow. Then it started acting up again. It is hit or miss whether it will engage or not. I haven't done alot of checking on it because other projects are in the garage right now. But it sounds like it could be the pressure switch. I will check as soon as weather permits.

It's been a while since I've been here, I switched jobs and don't have the free time I used to. It's good to see everyone still helping everyone else out.

Mike

Old 02-09-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, I have been having the same problem. I used the 4x4 all summer and didn't have a problem, but as soon as the first ice storm hits it decides to act up.

I have found that the transfer case will engage, but the front end doesn't transfer the power to the wheels...the drive shaft turns, but no 4x4. So about 2 weeks ago I replaced the vacuum motor on the front axle. It worked fine for 1 time in the snow. Then it started acting up again. It is hit or miss whether it will engage or not. I haven't done alot of checking on it because other projects are in the garage right now. But it sounds like it could be the pressure switch. I will check as soon as weather permits.

It's been a while since I've been here, I switched jobs and don't have the free time I used to. It's good to see everyone still helping everyone else out.

Mike

Quick Reply: 4X4 not engaging.....