Power Steering Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1999, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power Steering Noise

I'm having the same problem that all of you are having. Mine goes in on Wednesday to find out what is wrong. This noise is very annoying. I will let you know at a later date what they tell me and if it takes care of the problem. My truck didn't start making the noise until the weather turned crappy here in Michigan.

Old 01-17-2000, 03:57 PM
Sierra, any luck with the power-steering?
Mine's in the shop now with this and other concerns.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT-STX, Reg. Cab,Oxford White, 4.2L, Auto, 3:55, Prestige Alarm System, MPC Wrap Bugshield, Spare tire Shield,
-It's a beautiful Thing!-
Also: 1996 Probe
1998 Mustang
1999 Taurus

Old 01-17-2000, 05:23 PM
Yes, I ended up getting the pitman arm replaced and that took care of the problem. On Tuesday morning my truck goes to the body shop to get the door cracks repaired for the first time. One thing that I'm finding out is that it is very expensive to get new plugs and wires on these things. So far I have to estimates from ford dealers one at $296 and at another dealer for almost $400 for the same work. I wish I knew why one dealer could cost so much more than another.

Old 01-17-2000, 07:53 PM
Is this a kind of wining noise thats constant? I have that in my 98 Expidition...Is this a known prob?

Old 01-17-2000, 08:28 PM
When your parked turn your steering wheel back and forth if yours has the problem you will notice something that sounds like a rusty old swingset.

Old 01-17-2000, 08:29 PM
How do you get a description of your truck to show up with your posting? I want to get mine to show up. Any help?

Old 01-21-2000, 07:51 AM
Im having a noisy powersteering problem too. Mine almost sounds like a slightly lose belt. It makes a belt-type whine when I turn at low speeds. Makes the noise faintly turning at idle and is louder when i step on the gas while turning. Is this the same as you all had? Id like to be sure what it is before i go to a dealership about it. Also does anyone know a TSB or recall code on this problem?

Thanks
DS

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x2, supercab, shortbed, 5.4L auto, 3.55 LS, Class III tow/cooling, 4 wheel disk/ABS, Med Toreador solid, Med Graphite int, 60/40 bench, sliding r.window, pwr everything except seat, 16" chrome alloys
*** In the Works - FabTech 3.5",Bullseye spindles,3" bodylift,Eagle 589's w/35x12.50 BFG AT ko's,alarm/keyless entry,Changer/Fosgate amp/JL subs (when i figure how im gonna make the box fit!) ***

Old 01-24-2000, 05:36 PM
Thumbs down

Took mine in for the Pitman Arm last week. Got it back without the squeak. However, the steering wheel was off center by about 15 degrees. Took it back to Baillargeon Ford and they asked me to pay for an alignment! They told me that the Pitman arm replacement can not change the center of the steering wheel. Anyone know if this is true?

Goes without saying that I told them it did not matter to me how they got the steering centered, as long as they fixed it.

------------------
97 Lariat SC, 4.6, CD, TT package.
Plus: Superchip, Borla, AirAid, Leather Steering Wheel, Trick Flow Diff Cover, BossLock tailgate Lock.

Old 01-25-2000, 01:15 PM
Who was your service advisor? I have worked with Brian Cassleberry (sp?) and he is the one who told me the power steering fluid noise was normal, that his truck (97 4.6) also does it...

Jim

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT SC 5.4L

Old 01-25-2000, 07:44 PM
My service advisor was Chad.
He did get straighten the steering wheel for no charge. Told me he had to reset the toe.

------------------
97 Lariat SC, 4.6, CD, TT package.
Plus: Superchip, Borla, AirAid, Leather Steering Wheel, Trick Flow Diff Cover, BossLock tailgate Lock.

Old 01-25-2000, 10:22 PM
Suspended User
I'd been noticing alot of noise from my suspension this past week also. Sitting still and turning the steering wheel made no noise. But while in motion just a little bit and turning the wheels sounded like all hell was breaking loose. Dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and picked up today. All seems fine-SO FAR. All my paperwork said was that the technician "tightened and lubed front suspension". Asked how since there are only 2 grease fittings and advisor said they had no idea. I told them to find out so I can keep it "lubed" myself. I grease those two fittings at every oil change. Sure would like to know how else to grease this thing. I just hope the dealer is not just "lubeing" me up so when the warranty runs out they can fix the REAL problem at my expense. When I dropped it off I told them about all the things I've heard about here that might be the problem. Just told me "thanks,we'll see".

Old 01-26-2000, 12:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DirtSlinger-

Any ideas on the noise? My F150 is doing the exact same thing. Seems to have started just after the weather turned cold (finally).

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player. Just added Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars!!

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg.

http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Quick Reply: Power Steering Noise