Rear bumper...Repair or Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rear bumper...Repair or Replace?

Greetings fellow Ford owners. I recently purchased a '97 F150 XLT, (exactly 2 weeks ago today). As a new member to F150 online, I am asking my first question in great sorrow. Today while driving home from work, I was rear-ended while sitting at a traffic light. And if that alone wasn't enough to get my blood boiling, the idiot driving the Explorer Sport that rear-ended me backs up and speeds off! So now I'm left with a bent bumper and a $500 deductible. I'm going to call my insurance agent tomorrow to see if I have any other options. My question to my F150 friends is, should I try to somehow bend the bumper back to its original shape? Or should I just replace the bumper? Should I replace it with a new or used bumper? Please, keep in mind, I'm asking these questions from an economical stand point. My pockets aren't very deep right now.
Also, are there any other concerns that I should have such as transmission damage, frame, etc...?

------------------

Old 11-23-1999, 10:48 PM
I hate hit and run drivers! If you ask me they are chicken sh*ts. After child molestors, they rank right down there with the scum of the earth!

I also recently was rear-ended, in a parking garage of all places. Fortunatley the idiot couldn't get away.

The bumper was only $350. I called around to some salvage yards and they wanted $275. For $75, I went new. The Ford bumper came with the step pad and everything. It only took me about 30 minutes to replace with the help of my nine year old daughter. Pretty simple!

I would replace it. If you try and pound it back out you won't be able to fix it 100%. Then, everytime you notice it will bring back the rage! Fix it and forget it!

Good luck!

Old 11-25-1999, 12:09 AM
J-C
Thumbs up

kkirt1 is correct. Replace it, the cost will be less than you deductible. Bonus - you've got a truck to haul that long thing home

Sorry to hear you were rear-ended

Old 11-25-1999, 12:36 AM
I would try further checking at salvage or under used parts in yellow pages. I think you should be able to find one for about 1\2 price of new. And its gotta be off a 97 or newer truck anyway. I agree its best to fix or it will bug you every time you look at it.Pretty easy job to do your self.

------------------
Brad 2000f150 Lariat Supercab Flareside 4X4 Black 5.4 engine Leather Captains 3.55 Limited-slip and all the goodies, just ordered,traded my 99 f250 superduty Lariat V-10 Toy:91 Softtail Classic,lowered and chromed

Old 11-26-1999, 01:02 PM
cabraco....

Just curious, why did you decide to trade from the Super Duty w/V-10 to the F150?

------------------
Mine: 2000 F-150 4X2 XLT Sport Pkg, Ext Cab Flareside (Black Clearcoat w/dark graphite interior), 5.4L, Auto, 3.55 Limited Slip, Remote Keyless Entry, Trailer Towing Group, 40/60 Pwr Seat, Autolamp, Premium AM/FM W/CD.

Hers: 1999 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4X2, 5.0L, Auto, Tropic Green/Tan, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Limited Slip, AM/FM/Cassette/CD, CD Changer, Remote Keyless, Power moonroof, Autolamp, Electronic Air, Keyless Entry Pad, Mach Audio System, HomeLink, Overhead Console, Rear Air & Stereo, 16" factory polished aluminum wheels.

Toy: 1997 Harley Davidson, Springer Heritage.

Old 11-26-1999, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dont forget about aftermarket bumpers, turn a bad thing into a mod oppritunity.

Old 12-03-1999, 11:00 AM
Cory, I would check at your local Ford dealer first. Whenever I had my '92 F-150, I was rear-ended, and everyone told me I would have to get a new bumper. I went to a local dealership and they bent it back in less than 5 min. for free. For free, it's at least worth a shot. Best of luck!!!

------------------
Oxford White 1998 F-150 STX, reg. cab, flareside, 4.2, auto, 3.55s, tint, Prestige alarm, Bel radar detector, Pioneer CD player, 4 Polk 5x7's, Stull billet grille and bumper insert, Flowmaster exhaust, K&N airfilter, V-Tech Tailight Covers(painted to match truck) Clear Corner Lenses FUTURE MODS: to indecisive to know for sure, but a FIPK and 2 in. shackles will be on by the end of December. GIG'EM AGGIES

Quick Reply: Rear bumper...Repair or Replace?