broken factory changer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken factory changer?

Well I was cruising along listening to my factory system the other day. Mine has the tape deck and the 6 disk changer. Anyway I was halfway through a song, the song stopped, and the changer started going through the CD's and when it did them all it spit out the cartridge and swithced back to the radio. That's all it will do now.

It did this once before over a year ago, and fixed itself after a day or so. I didn't do anything, it just started working the next day when I tried it again.

This time, it's been almost two weeks now. I have blown canned air into the changer, swapped CD's, banged on it a couple of times, etc. If you sit and listen/watch, you can hear it pull the CD in, and even hear is swish as it starts to read it. Then it immed spits the disk back out and moves to the next one.

My truck is long out of warranty, and like Ford would honor the warranty anyway. So I'm trying to find a fix before I just replace the damn thing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 08-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hard to say...

How old is the changer? Might need to have the 'eye' cleaned.

Before you go to ebay or the dealership and try to buy a new changer... let me know... I have one for sale.

RP

Old 08-16-2002, 01:40 PM
The eye was cleaned about 6 months ago. It's been working fine since then. The changer came new with the truck back in 98. Howmuch do you want for that changer?

Old 08-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Moderator &

Herrrm...

Haven't really thought about it. I was planning on selling my factory Head Unit and the changer as a package (because the headunit isn't worth much because it's only AM FM CASS).

Whatcha willing to give? hehehe... oh yeah... I accept beer and girls as payment unlike most venders! LOL!!

RP

Old 08-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Well, I did some more poking around with mine this weekend. This time I actually smelled inside the changer, sure enough, there is a pretty stinky burnt smell from inside it. I am assuming that is not good.

So right now I am going to ditch the whole stock system and install the Kenwood and Bostoun Acoustics stuff I have had laying around forever.

Old 08-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Moderator &

I've got that changer of mine for sale... it'd be a lot easier to just swap out your burned out changer for mine (that is working 110%).

RP

Quick Reply: broken factory changer?