Best bang for the $$$ upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best bang for the $$$ upgrade???

I just got a 99 F150 with a stock 6 disc changer (in the console). The stereo could use a little more kick. I don't need to shake the windows so sub woofers and such don't really appeal to me. Just a little more punch and quality would be great. What is the best upgrade for the money on these systems in your opinions???? How good are the stock speakers?? Do they respond pretty well to a nice amp??? Thanks for any advice...

Old 04-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Replace the front speakers, is your best bet. You dont need to amp your factory speakers...you will just blow them. An Aftermarket headunit would be great, with a new set of front speakers. I dont know how much difference would be made hooking the factory deck to a new set of fronts. I just added a sub to my system, and it adds a lot of depth, without being boomy. I plan on installed a front set of speakers also, however...

Old 04-30-2002, 01:05 PM
Where to Start...

Personally I would start with the Head unit. If that doesn't give you what your looking for then upgrade the speakers...!

Old 05-02-2002, 11:25 PM
If I was you, I'd replace the front speakers first. I have the same setup (factory changer, etc.) and the first thing I did was install Boston Acoustics 6.5" component speakers up front.

Here is the order that I did things (as funds came available). I've done all the work myself:
1. Installed Boston Acoustics RC61 6.5" component speakers up front
2. Installed a Boss REV-255 amp to drive the new speakers
3. Installed two 10" subs under the rear seat (from SubBox.net)and a JBL 300.1 mono sub amp
4. Ordered a Pioneer DEH-P740MP CD/MP3 player (it hasn't arrived yet).

If you want to check out more info on my system, check out the link in my signature. I've got some photos too.

If you have any more questions, just send me an email.

Last edited by Kelly; 05-03-2002 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Front speakers first, amp and rear speakers next, sub definitely. If it is adjusted properly so that it sounds natural it will make a huge difference to the overall sound. Boom cars are done for effect not sound quality although some can do both when needed. Head unit last but only if you need features you do not already have. David Navone and Richard Clark did some tests on OEM head units and found that the Visteon (Ford) units were some of the best as far as sound quality and ergonomics. If your gains are set correctly you cannot tell the difference between an aftermarket head and amp versus stock head and added amp.

Old 05-03-2002, 01:57 PM
The stock speakers are by far the weakest link, even in the "premium" systems. Visteon should be ashamed for even installing them. Paper cones with whizzers - BLAH! No matter what you buy it will definitely be an upgrade over stock.

After that, start saving for a new headunit. Be sure it has at least one set of pre-amp (line level) outputs, two pair are better, three (sub out) are best.

You can always add an amp to a good, but underpowered system. But adding an amp to a crappy system only gives you loud crap.

Old 05-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

But adding an amp to a crappy system only gives you loud crap.

Truer words have never been spoken, at least in this thread. I almost fell out of my chair while LMAO,,,,98

Old 05-03-2002, 04:32 PM
Speakers - got to go!!!! But I must say the new head unit (Alpine 7893) woke up the Infinity Kappas!!!

One thing to keep in mind though - I think adding a new HU eliminates your use of the factory changer. Not sure, but I think that is true. Something to think about.

Old 05-04-2002, 08:16 AM
One thing to keep in mind though - I think adding a new HU eliminates your use of the factory changer. Not sure, but I think that is true. Something to think about.
True. AFAIK there are no headunits or adapters available which will work with the factory changer. (thanks, Visteon).

Most aftermarket HUs will have more power than the stock HU, so it's still a more logical next step, vs amp. It might be enough for you. If not, amp away.

Old 05-05-2002, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Kelly
If I was you, I'd replace the front speakers first. I have the same setup (factory changer, etc.) and the first thing I did was install Boston Acoustics 6.5" component speakers up front.

Here is the order that I did things (as funds came available). I've done all the work myself:
3. Installed two 10" subs under the rear seat (from SubBox.net)and a JBL 300.1 mono sub amp

If you want to check out more info on my system, check out the link in my signature. I've got some photos too.

I have the same head unit and I love it!!! I was always an Alpine/Kenwood man until I walked in to Car Toys in boulder and they show me the P740. For the price ($249.00 installed) and power I couldn't believe it. I replaced my speakers as well though. Kenwoods up front (better highs) and Alpine in the rear (better bass). I felt I owed Alpine and Kenwood something for some many years of great equipment. :-) Not to mention I wasn't real thrilled with the sound of the Pioneer speakers.

HuskerMac

Old 05-05-2002, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Kelly

I have the same head unit and I love it!!! I was always an Alpine/Kenwood man until I walked in to Car Toys in boulder and they show me the P740. For the price ($249.00 installed) and power I couldn't believe it. I replaced my speakers as well though. Kenwoods up front (better highs) and Alpine in the rear (better bass). I felt I owed Alpine and Kenwood something for some many years of great equipment. :-) Not to mention I wasn't real thrilled with the sound of the Pioneer speakers.

HuskerMac

Old 05-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I remember asking the same thing...
Hang on to your wallet! hehe

I started with Polk DX7 up front and the stock H/U nicer but not a lot and I
didn't get what I was looking for. Amps / H/U and subs came next... was pretty darn good really but not quite there
So I switched out the dx7 for Polk MoMo 6 1/2" components and well it all came togeather and if flat kicks! Trully blew me away...

If i were to start over It would be H/U Amp and comps togeather right off.
followed by subs.

Jim

Quick Reply: Best bang for the $$$ upgrade???