Upgrading the sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrading the sound

Hi Guys,

Once again I am looking for advice...
I have read all the many posts here but I have a ton of questions so I can get the imformation I need...

First I need info... I have the "Preimum Sound" W/6cd changer (the CD player appears to be a Pioneir/or kenwood from the looks of it) the CS holder it is located in the center counsel.

OK I am in my 40's and alittle deaf in one ear (shooting) and want to keep what I hearing have left.

I am not a audiofile, I am not looking for truck bouncing bass or screaming volume that can be heard a block away, I would like nicer cleaner sound and abit more volume before the distortion kicks in, I like Country, rock and sometines classical, at times.
so I am liking for an reasonable priced upgrade (a few hunderd bucks). thousond dollers upgrades are not in the future for me.

First what are the specs for this unit RMS wattage wise?

Is the amp intergal to the head unit or in a separate locoation (I have read some have a remote amp)

Ok I would like to improve the sound.
I will keep the stock HU cassette and 6 CD changer.

I know I will update the speakers with better ones, but I want a fairly easy upgrade. (no component speaker systems here).

Should I do just the front doors or both the front and rear doors? Who's speakers work best? what is the best bang for the buck so to speak.

If I would decide to add a modest amp I would like to use the wiring harness I don't want to have to chop cut and splice wires everywhere... So adapter plugs from the stock amp/hu to the aftermarket amp and back to the wiring harness would be what I am looking for...

I guess I am looking for something that would be relitivly easy to install myself with a minimum of cursing and still get
the job done...what I am looking for is a nice basic basacally a plug and play
setup. I know electronics and can do the complicated stuff but frankly music doesn't mean that much to me...
I am just looking for alittle better sound at a little higher volume...

OK guys what do you advise???

Jim

Old 12-16-2001, 06:38 PM
Jimmer,

uhhh, ahhhhhh, errrrr ummmmm. That's a lot of questions for a guy who forgot to tell us what truck he has?

I'll assume for now you have a new SuperCrew.

I'd do this:
- Change front door speakers to 6x8's at a cost of $100 - 150 bucks (call Crutchfield or similar and tell them you want a decent speaker which will handle 200 Watts or more peak (at least 40 Watts RMS). Kenwood eXcelon KFC-X688C or similar. The front door speaer can be changed in all of about 10-15 minutes each. Oh, and ask for the Ford Speaker connectors to come with your speaker order (free from Crutch).

Then add a small (200-300 Watt Peak) 2 channel amp which would give you about 30 to 50 Watts RMS output). This will fit under the dash on either drivers side or passenger side, lots of room in there.

Buy the following two harness adapters from Parts Express:
#265-610 (Metra Part# 70-1771) and #265-653 (Metra PArt #71-1771). These will allow you to plug right into trucks harness and Stock radio. Then all you have to do is crimp a few wire together.

You'll be doing pretty good. Total cost:
$150 for 2 speakers
$150 for small 2 ch. amp
$35 for harness connectors, 20' 14 gauge speaker wire.
----------
$325 TOTAL

Total install time: 2 hours.

Old 12-16-2001, 08:19 PM
Yikes, sorry thought my tag line was installed on the bottom...

Thanks
JIm

Old 12-17-2001, 04:54 PM
Smile

Thanks,

Ok what I am looking at is for speakers
Polk DX-7 in the front doors .

Then eather the MTX Road Thunder RT2200 50X x 2 or the MTX Thunder 4122 30W x2 What amp would you choose I don't want to toast the speakers and I have heard the MTX are under rated...

Thanks
Jim

Old 12-17-2001, 06:28 PM
Thumbs up If you're looking for DX-7's...

Check E-bay. I just bought 2 pairs for $77 a pair. Unfortunately I don't have them in the truck yet so I can't tell you how they sound without an amp.

Good luck.
Bob

Old 12-17-2001, 07:41 PM
Angry

Awww crap, I just ponied up 149 at crutchfields... dang... also decided on a Rockford-Fosgate Punch 160 40Wx2 amp on sale for for $159.00 at Sound Domain.

Thought I did ok pricewise until I got back here and read your note.

I have read the stock speaker wiring is good to 40 watts so might just use it... Still thinking about that...

Just need to get the interconnection plugs yet...

I just hope it goes in well...

Next how do you get into the wiring? Pull the HU out? looks like a mess up in there from under the dash...

Oh how do you get the HU out anyway?

Any recommendations where to locate the amp? I figure I could save a mess of time asking rather then figuring it out as I go...

Jim

Old 12-17-2001, 08:03 PM
I think the easiest way to get to the wiring is to pull the HU. From what I hear it's a piece of cake. From what I read all you have to do is push your 2 vents on either side of the HU all the way to the center and just yank on the trim piece. No screws holding it in just clips. After you get that off, just use a radio removal tool to release the HU. You can buy them at any stereo place or even WalMart for under $10. Pull out the HU and all your wiring is right there.

I was thinking that if I do get an amp for all the door speakers, I'd put it under the drivers seat. I've got my amp for the subs under the passenger side back seat so it's out of the way. I kinda want to keep all the good stuff hidden from the bad guys just in case.

Bob

Old 12-17-2001, 09:01 PM
I picked up two sets of DX7's from Circuit City (I won't say for how much, don't want to make Jimmer feel even worse). Installed all four over the course of two evenings, very simple. It took me about 15 minutes per speaker because I soldered the wires in instead of using the adapters (only because no one had them locally). The speakers in the rear doors of my SCrew are a ticht fit, the door panel actually touches the metal frame of the speaker. The DX7's are being run off my Rockford Fosgate RFX900 HU, sound is okay but a good amp will definitely help sound quality at medium levels. I have a Kicker ZX460 sitting on the workbench waiting to be installed. Bottom line here...you will need the amp if you install the DX7's. The stock HU definitely won't push them very well.

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 12-17-2001, 09:40 PM
Unhappy

CCarrara...

Did you do a typo?
I couldn't find 265-653 (Metra71-1771)

I havn't ever opened up the dash so I don't know what I am looking for...

I found the #265-610 (Metra 70-1771) Plugs into the radio

I also found #265-616 (metra 70-1770)
looks to plugs into the Harness

and

I also found 265-618 (metra 70-5514) Ford priemum wiring harness. Not sure what it does

But none of these look oppisite ends,
(bad pics) I also checked another site

http://www.installationproducts.com/
and
http://www.metraonline.com/contacts.htm

seems like severial things here. does this HU have a seprate amp? as I saw bypasses too...

Can you or someone clear this up.
I know I can figure it out once I crack open the dash and pull the head unit but I would like all the parts onhand when I do this...

If you or someone else knows I would save a ton of time. Also do you have pin outs...

Thanks a ton

Jim

Old 12-18-2001, 05:22 AM
I don't think there's an external amp included in the premium setup. I pulled mine when I installed my Rockford HU. I'm using the factory wiring harness to both power the HU as well as to run the door speakers (for now). When I pulled the HU, I saw what looked like some sort of heat sink on a corner of the factory HU, assume this was for the internal amp. This is all based on what I could find, not on actual research via a Ford Wiring diagram. That would be the only real way to find out for sure.

Old 12-18-2001, 01:13 PM
Jimmer,

No, there is NO external amp. And, be carefull when you talk to dealers when you say you have a "Premium Sound System". Apparently Ford used to make (maybe still does?) a Sound system with an External amp and a subwoofer and when you say you have the "Premium system" they think that is what you are referring to.

Anyway, YES, the #'s I stated were correct, NOT a typo. I ordered them from Parts Express, I also could NOT find the one on Metra's site. Just order them using the Metra #'s and they will get you the right ones. I got those Metra #'s from Metra directly (and it wasn't easy....).

The pin outs are right on the plastic package the Metra connectors come in. They are exactly right. The great thing is, all you have to do is line up the colors since they are the same on both sides. The alteration with the wiring is this: The truck has NO remote on wire (Antenna Power Wire). So I used the Accessory Power wire which comes on whenever the ignition is on or the key is in the Accecories position. I think it was the red wire?

Old 12-18-2001, 09:06 PM
Thanks CCarrara, Hi Screw

Man do I know what you mean getting those numbers are like pulling wisdom teeth... I have spent the better part of a day and a hafe researching plugs and interfaces for this d@mn Truck's sound system... I think nuclear secrets are easier to get your hands on...

Talk about confusing I contacted Metra and they gave me PN 70-5700 and 55-5700. I talked to Scosche tech assist and they said there is an externel amp located in the passenger side kick panel...

Heck I have been driving the Significant other nuts with all the web surfing I have been doing trying to figure just what I will need (she now knows I am crazy with what I have done t this rig so far) she said the tunes were fine...

I was about resigned to start yanking open the kick panel and pulling the HU just to see what was in there so I know what I was looking for...

I was even searching for a complete internecction wiring diagram...

Once again thanks,

Jim

P.S. What do you think of the component choices? From what I read the DX-7 are great speakers and I believe the Fosgate punch 160 should drive them nicly, (40RMS at 4Ohms x 2 channels)

Old 12-18-2001, 09:23 PM
Oh, I've sent a VERY nastly letter to Ford customer service as well as Visteon, as neither would give me the correct wiring of my $40k truck stereo harness. What pisses me off about this is, I could take a meter and figure it out in about 5 minutes. So, even if they did want to keep it a "secret", they couldn't anyway, so why not jsut tell me for gods sake!

GEEEEEEESHHHHHH!!!!!

Anyway, I'm siting here looking at the Metra packages (kept em since they have pinouts/wire color info on them), The part #'s are: 71-1771 and 70-1771 Both packages say Ford 1998 and up stereo wiring harness. Just remember, the second harness coming out of stereo is you CD changer(if you have one?), you don't have to touch that one.

Good lick with your "Rocket Science" !! oh, and PS, it took me 2 whole days to find out those #'s, AND, my wife also said "it sounds fine", so don't feel bad. LOL

Old 12-18-2001, 10:37 PM
Thumbs up

Yup just found another site that is for dealers and lists all metra parts by make and model and you were right... parts express didn't list the one another site did so the got the bussinesss... wish me luck I am getting that look like I am dead meat...

Jim

Old 12-19-2001, 11:55 AM
Jimmer:

What site did you order from for your connects?

Quick Reply: Upgrading the sound