Upgrading the sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iron man, not sure where I ordered them from I will try to find the sire again but I parts express has the they finally answered and they have it in stock,
I ordered from the other company to save time I was hoping to do the whole thing this weekend... However it didn't work out that way.

Any way phase one is done I have the dx-7 in the front doors and ex-571s in the rear mini doors. (the 571 were on sale for $50 so I figured out what the heck and got them. It sounds somewhat better already. getting a little rattiling during bass eather form the plastic weather sheeting on the doors or something... anyone run across this one? or it could be I just need more umph going to the polks... I don't know yet...

Phase two will be mayne next week when I put in the Rockford punch 160...

JIm

Old 12-24-2001, 12:45 AM
Ironman
the other source is audio online outlet
Hope that helps.
Jim

Old 01-01-2002, 10:20 PM
thought i would add to the post and give an update. I havn't got to the amp, but soon...

The Girlfriend took a ride in the truck and commented how much better the polks sounded, she said she though the old one were pretty good buy "biy what a diffrence" the highs are crisp and the bass is much tighter...

I have really fallen in love with the polks,
though they seem to like higher volume levels to really shine, I am now waiting to toss in the amp to see how it comes out...

jim

Old 01-02-2002, 06:01 PM
Get the amp in!! I finally installed mine last week and boy what a difference. The volume can go way up without any distortion whatsover (unless you crank up the gain too high on the amp). At lower volumes, everything is a lot clearer too. The Kicker amp I installed has about the same ratings as your Rockford unit so the results should be similar.

Happy amping!!!

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 01-06-2002, 09:28 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Hi screw,

Sounds Great!

Well I am trully beginning to hate this site, I started just going to put in a couple speakers to make it sound alittle better.

Well I started reading and checking things out, I just heard a truck with subs . Well got to get them now. So I just ordered the MTX thunderform. Well now I need more power, so I did some research and ordered another amp (coustic 320QE 4x40 RMs).

Now I need to get it all powered up. So back online I go to get some 4ga wire, inline fuse holder, fused distribution box, 8 Ga feed and ground wire , crimp fittings and a device to provide the amp turn on signial. Now I need to run audio so I need a pair of LOCs and twisted pair RCA interconnections, 16 ga wire for the door speakers, 12 ga for the MTX sub I almost forget spade and blade connectors...

Oh well, the new plan is the Polk DX7 in the front doors, Polk ex 572a rear doors powered by the Coustic amp (40Wx4 RMS) with 16 ga wire.

The MTX thunderform under the back seat powered by the RF punch 160.2 bridged mono, from the test sheet that amp is producing 278 peak watts so according to the math I should get 196watts x1 RMS mono to the sub.

I figure I need a good weekend to do this when everything gets here. Need to pull all the seats, the H/U,
and counsel.

Power dist will be located in the bottom of the Center counsel, Amps under front seats or one under the driver seat one under rear seat, not sure on this yet. Power ran down the passeger side, audio down the drivers side, Sould prove to be real fun...

God this better sound good when done.

See what you guys made me go and do...

Ok guys look this over see if you see anything I missed or if you know a better way to do it etc etc etc. I want everything layed out ready to go when I start remove (door panels seats, dash etc) Pull all the wires, screw in amps, solider/crimp connections, hook everything up, check for shorts, power-up, then tune (via scope to detect clipping) the gains and of course put the doors and seats dash back togeather...

Comments, input , ideas, and reassurance appreatiated...

Jim

Old 01-06-2002, 10:07 PM
Question

Additional couple questions,

I know how to adjust amp gains on a normal configuration. However the bridged mono amp is a question.
How do I adjust the input gain and keep it in proper balance (L-R channels) for this application.

Also how long do I need to keep the power down to the allow the subs to break in before pumping some watts to them. I am assuming in the beginning I would keep the gain set real low to break them in then increase the gain after they are broken in properly...

Jim

Old 01-07-2002, 06:13 AM
Well, sounds like you have everything. Sure you don't want to go ahead and change out the HU while you're at it The only change I would make to your setup would be to check on the wiring of the power and speaker wires. Most of the posts I've read have the power being run on the driver's side, speakers on passenger side (that's how I have mine set up). Reason being that there is a factory grommet on the firewall near the steering column which is handy to run the power from the engine bay to the cab. Also, check on the clearances you will have with your amps. My Kicker amp wouldn't fit under either of the front seats. Good luck, a full afternoon sounds about right. Post some pics when you're done!!

Sorry I can't help you with amp setup. I'm new at that kind of stuff too.

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 01-08-2002, 09:59 PM
Hi Screw

where did you put the amps then?
I am hoping they will go under the seats otherwise it will really stink but I guess I will have to see where they will fit...

I will look into the power routing to depending where I can find a spot to pull it through but I have like 17b feet of 4 ga pri power wire on the way I sure hope it will work.
Jim

P.s. the head unit maybe a consideration depending on how it sounds if it sounds good I will keep the original one if not well more money will got out I guess but I don't want to loose the cd changer or have to get another one, I alos like the stealth look as the truck spends alot of time in airport parking lots when I am away on bussiness and I want to keep what I bought...

Old 01-09-2002, 01:30 AM
My Kicker ZX460 is pretty damn big and that's why it won't fit under any of my front seats. I finally got it installed inside the compartment behind the back seats in my SCrew this past weekend. Wasn't as easy as it sounds to mount though. What I had to do was remove the entire back plastic panel, then remove all the stock cloth covering the inside of the compartment. I then picked up some 1/4" hardboard and cut a piece to fit the entire length across the back of the compartment. This was lined with new "cloth", similar to the stuff that speaker boxes are wrapped in. The piece, which measured 4' by 20", was then screwed to the back of the cab using L brackets. I then mounted the amp to the hardboard and finally reinstalled the plastic panel to conceal the entire thing. Sorry but I don't have a digital camera now or I would post some pics.

17' of power wire should do it if you follow the same routing I did (using the grommet next to the steering column).

If you're satisfied with the sound, the stealth look is a very good idea. The stock CD changer is also pretty decent.

Good Luck

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 01-13-2002, 09:16 PM
Ok you made me do it... I ordered a head unit today. I decided on the Alpine CDA-7878 Here is what it looks like God I hope this system Rocks cuz it sure cost enough...

Jim

to think it all started with a couple speakers...

Old 01-14-2002, 04:43 AM
I hear you! My venture started out with "just" a new HU. Then the speakers, the amp.....soon to come will be a sub and another amp and a crossover...never ending....

The Alpine HU looks sharp. I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 02-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Well folks everything has finially arrived and is installed, I will say it sounds awsome! music really comes alive I found myself sitting in my truck and grinning like the perverbial Chesier Cat all day.

My only let down is the CD player has a problem so I have to contact alpine and send it in to get corrected, This means removing it and going tuneless for a few days... the good news is going in and out at this point is pretty quick.

But it does sound great for FM and the tunning ability is nothing short of awsome as I have already said...

Jim

Old 02-26-2002, 09:05 PM
Thumbs down

Well I thought an update was in order...
Well this install hasn't gone well. As I last stated the headunit was defective (cd didn't work) So I returned it for replacemnt.
This is where the fun started. It appears they vender can't get one anywhere... I have independanly tried to do this myself with the same results, there isn't one to be had (new inbox).

Well after 2 weeks wait and a 10-15 day minimum backorder staring me in the face (it was 4 days then 7 days then 10 days....) I opted to replace it with the Alpine CDA-7998 tunner.

This is a gamble as I can't find a pic of it anywhere but It has a larger retractable face and everything I have read it should be awsome... I hope the wait isn't to long is all... I like hearing the magnaflow rumbling but it does get old... anyone else heard anything about the CDA-7998...

words of encourgemnet would be great!!!!

Bummed and tuneless in WI

Jim

Quick Reply: Upgrading the sound