New guy here cb radio question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy here cb radio question

17 years old male in iowa here

I had a jeep for a while before it was totaled by a wreck less driver causing me permanent back pain. After being screwed by the insurance company I bought another jeep, that one was junk and now 8 months later from the accident I signed the deal on a 93 f150 xlt single cab RWD. Paid 800 for it had the transmission dipstick o ring fixed and a few other things. Has rust but the classic car restorer I bought it from cut me a deal 200 bucks for rock auto cab corners and rockers both sides welded and painted.

Anyway I have two whips on the toolbox(yes I've grounded these to the frame) but where is a good way to run the coax into the cab.

Also what's a good power source for the cb, and an area to get through the firewall without drilling.

Thanks a lot I'm looking forward to the ford family.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope to be of some decent help if you haven't gotten this project completed already, however, I have a 2007 F150. I know a lot of the older trucks are steel tanks, getting in and out is sort of a pain in the 4th point of contact. However, try to see if there is a grommet right underneath the cab, usually that's a pretty nifty spot to run some wires since it's an easy access spot from the outside to the inside, where as the engine bay requires some work getting wires from through the firewall and into the cab.

As far as power, you can safely run your CB radio off the 12V socket. I'm pretty sure you're going to want all the wires hidden so you'll need to remove pieces of the dash or whatever to get behind and access those wires, which obviously have a solid 12V access. No need to search other wires with a DMM to "see" which have a constant 12V, or even a 12V at all.

If you decide you want to get curious and find ways to go from the engine bay, through the firewall, and into the cab, check for a giant loom of wiring. Those are protected with a grommet that you can bust through and connect a fused 12V lead from the battery to your radio.

Quick Reply: New guy here cb radio question