CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB radio

So can somebody tell me what the differanc between the Cobra 29LTD and the Cobra 29NW? Or what about the WXNWST modle? Im also not sure the differance between the 29 and the 25. I have 19 ultra and I'm not getting any range out of it so I'm upgrading any help or advice would be awsome. Thanks ya'll.

TEX.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM
the ltd is the standard 29 radio. the nw has the face of the radio backlit so you can read it in the dark (hence nightwatch name) the wx model is able to pick up the national weather svc broadcasts so you can hear whats going on in the sky. the 19 by itself is a good radio. do you have a good quality antennae hooked up to it? have you had it tuned and peaked yet? makes a big difference on your range with it.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by papajohn
the ltd is the standard 29 radio. the nw has the face of the radio backlit so you can read it in the dark (hence nightwatch name) the wx model is able to pick up the national weather svc broadcasts so you can hear whats going on in the sky. the 19 by itself is a good radio. do you have a good quality antennae hooked up to it? have you had it tuned and peaked yet? makes a big difference on your range with it.
always get your radio peaked and tuned. its like buying an f150 and keeping the stock crappy tires

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by fordordie1
always get your radio peaked and tuned. its like buying an f150 and keeping the stock crappy tires
You can not go wrong with either a Cobra 29 or 25 and the only difference between them is a couple options and size they are both great radios. The other thing everyone forgot to mention is do not go cheap on your coax or antenna. It's like putting a super charger on an engine and only putting 2in exhaust on it just won't perform up to the radios potential if it's peaked and tuned and you hook up a cheap antenna and coax to it.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
and the ohms depend on antenna. like 102" and 5/8ths need diff coax

Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by fordordie1
and the ohms depend on antenna. like 102" and 5/8ths need diff coax
Also great advice, and depending what kind of antenna and mount you go with you may also have to ground it to the body like I did to get the SWR's into the right range.

Last edited by dsq3973; 05-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a firestick with the hood mount. I have had the antenna tuned several times with no satifaction. the mount itself has a ground on it, should I ground it some other way. I have also ran the excess wire the length of the floor board as I have been told not to keep it close together. As far as my radio goes you guys know which one i am talking about its the small slim black one. Can this be tunes as well? Thank again for the info.

Tex.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Ok I just ordred the Firestik hood mount with the firering coax. Hope this works out a little better for me. Any advice on installing and grounding or is it pretty self explanitory?

Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 AM
wire 2 ground. firestick has your back so if u need info u can (i hope they put info) the papers with the antenna or call em

Old 05-07-2011, 08:43 PM
i have a cobra 25 ltd and like it alot. Its smaller and more basic than the 29. You can aways mod it. My 25 is pushing out about 30 watts versus the FCC limit of only 4 watts.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TX_FX4
I have a firestick with the hood mount. I have had the antenna tuned several times with no satifaction. the mount itself has a ground on it, should I ground it some other way. I have also ran the excess wire the length of the floor board as I have been told not to keep it close together. As far as my radio goes you guys know which one i am talking about its the small slim black one. Can this be tunes as well? Thank again for the info.

Tex.
The word "tuning" has nothing to do with the radio, except for its transmit function. Tuning involves connecting an SWR meter between the radio and the coax wire. When you key your mic, the SWR meter will show the current Standing Wave Ratio (SWR). You need to keep the SWR under 3 with the best being a 1. The higher the SWR, the more likely you'll burn out your radio.

The change the SWR, depending on the antennae you've chosen, you'll need to cut or lengthen the antennae small amounts until you've hit the prime SWR. Usually you'll start at the most commonly used channel, 19 for me. Then check your SWR at the opposite ends, channel 40 and 1. When you've got your SWR as low as possible at the common channel, you'll need to make sure channels 1 and 40 are below 3, as well.

Clear as mud?

Old 05-21-2011, 07:34 PM
OK got the new radio and new firering> Everything is mounted and has power and what happens? The radio is saying there is something wrong with the antenna. Not sure whats up went to the web site the ring is set up correctly not sure about the sodering though its just at the base of the ring correct? HELP!!!!!

Old 05-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by TX_FX4
OK got the new radio and new firering> Everything is mounted and has power and what happens? The radio is saying there is something wrong with the antenna. Not sure whats up went to the web site the ring is set up correctly not sure about the sodering though its just at the base of the ring correct? HELP!!!!!
check your antenna ground.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
I did that I have a peice of wire going from the mount to a screw i backed out under the hood. But according to Firestik you don't have to grounf these????

Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Ok lets start over I need some help here before I have to take it up to a shop. I got the CB installed in the tray on the dash, IU ran my wires from the bottom of the radio through the fire wall ( In doing this the coax is pinched a bit from the front pannel) I have the hood channel mount from firestik and have it mounted by backing out a screw and putting in like that ( Do I need to screw it in to make a ground)? From there I have the firering and it is set up the way the tech web site says to set it up. Do I need to ground that as well? Also I did do a not so good soldering job could I have messed something up by doing this? There is no signal from the antenna which is a Firestik 2. The radio says that there is good power going in and out but the antenna failed. Any Ideas?

Quick Reply: CB radio