System

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
System

Ok, I know this fits in almost all the other categories(haha) in the audio/video, but I decided to put it here. So, I am very new to all the audio stuff. First of my head unit in my 2001 f-150 ext. cab isnt reading my cds right(when my dads 99 f-150 with the same stero will) so I decided that I will start my audio overhaul in my truck with a head unit. I eventually want to replace all 4 speakers and do either 1 or 2 10s or maybe just a single 12 with of course an amp. I have many questions, first off what makes a good hu? I see 50x4 and 52x4. I know this means peak power to channels, but what are the channels? I also see that the 52x4 has 17rms vs. th 50x4 with only 4rms. whats rms? Would this make a huge difference? What are some good speakers and a good hu? I see alot of the sony and pioneers on best buy. Idk about speakers? Should I run an amp with the speakers as well as the subs? Most likely I will run an amp(if I need to) with the speakers and make sure it has enough power to add the subs later on. What is a good wattage amp? I know this is very long, and thanks alot to anyone who can help!

FYI-Im not trying to win any audio competitions here, but I hate the stock system and want a good sounding, loud, thumping(lol), and good sound reproduction system. I am also not looking to spend an arm and a leg, so what would be an estimate on the cost?

Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2010, 11:00 PM

anyone want to answer any ?s

Old 04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by jpf150
Ok, I know this fits in almost all the other categories(haha) in the audio/video, but I decided to put it here. So, I am very new to all the audio stuff. First of my head unit in my 2001 f-150 ext. cab isnt reading my cds right(when my dads 99 f-150 with the same stero will) so I decided that I will start my audio overhaul in my truck with a head unit. I eventually want to replace all 4 speakers and do either 1 or 2 10s or maybe just a single 12 with of course an amp. I have many questions, first off what makes a good hu? I see 50x4 and 52x4. I know this means peak power to channels, but what are the channels? I also see that the 52x4 has 17rms vs. th 50x4 with only 4rms. whats rms? Would this make a huge difference? What are some good speakers and a good hu? I see alot of the sony and pioneers on best buy. Idk about speakers? Should I run an amp with the speakers as well as the subs? Most likely I will run an amp(if I need to) with the speakers and make sure it has enough power to add the subs later on. What is a good wattage amp? I know this is very long, and thanks alot to anyone who can help!

FYI-Im not trying to win any audio competitions here, but I hate the stock system and want a good sounding, loud, thumping(lol), and good sound reproduction system. I am also not looking to spend an arm and a leg, so what would be an estimate on the cost?

Thanks again!
Alright...here we go.

Good HU brands...Alpine, Pioneer, and Kenwood would be my top 3. This year's sony line is actually impressive as well.

Channels are speakers. 4 Channels = 4 speakers.

Peak power is useless...RMS is the continuous power to your speaker. Aftermarket decks are all in the 17-22 range, while stockers are usually around 8-12 rms.

For your type of listening, a 4 channel may not be necessary, but can always be added later if needed. 300 to 500watts RMS is usually a pretty standard range for a sub/amp combo.

Whatever questions do you have?

Travis

Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks again!
What's your budget? Or how much can you afford to spend? I've spent about 2 large on mine so far, and my system has a refurbished kenwood in dash dvd/nav system, two kenwood amps pushing 50w rms to each channel and 500w rms to the sub and some low end kicker 6x8 speakers in all 4 doors and a kicker CVR 10" dual 4 ohm sub in a musicmoose box.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:37 PM

Budget, I really dont know. Im am 16 but I do have a job. This stuff will be added throughout a couple years. HU first and then speakers. Then amp and sub. Or amp with the speakers if needed. I was thinking maybe 150-250 for HU, 150-200 for speakers, idk about the amp, and maybe say 250 for sub(s) and a box(I will make that). Other ?s-so would the sony xplod with 17rms be considerd good? What are some good speakers?

Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Budget, I really dont know. Im am 16 but I do have a job. This stuff will be added throughout a couple years. HU first and then speakers. Then amp and sub. Or amp with the speakers if needed. I was thinking maybe 150-250 for HU, 150-200 for speakers, idk about the amp, and maybe say 250 for sub(s) and a box(I will make that). Other ?s-so would the sony xplod with 17rms be considerd good? What are some good speakers?
Self install or paying a pro to do it?

Which sony deck are you looking at? For example, I carry 7 different sony Headunits.

Based off your price of $200 for speakers, and not taking into account parts/labor, you can get Alpine Type S, Infinity Reference, Or Polk (DB? Not too familiar with their lineup) for $99 a pair (less if you buy from the gray market online dealers).

Old 04-10-2010, 12:01 AM

Do your research on www.crutchfield.com and when you decide on what head unit you want do a google search on that specific model and see where you can get it cheaper. Keep in mind that crutchfield throws in the dash kit and harness adapters for free with purchase so if you buy somewhere else you will need to factor that into the cost, figure about 40 bucks for a dash kit and harness for the new HU.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Well most likely, I will do the install myself hopefully(with help of yall on the fourm of course). I know I could do the deck and the speakers but I will either ask for help or get one of my dads friends to help me with the amp and subs. I was looking at the CDX-GT700HD or the MEX-BT2800. I really dont know which HUs are good. any suggestions? About the speakers, are the ones you listed considered good? How much improvement do you think I will get over the stock system with a new HU and 4 all new speakers like the ones listed above?

Old 04-10-2010, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the help and the link! I am doing some research now.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:10 AM

What about this kenwood? Kenwood-KDC-MP142. It is pretty cheap and has 22 rms.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 AM

Well if you spend say 200 or less on a HU, 200 for 2 sets of door speakers, your at 4 bills so far. You can then add a inexspensive 4 channel amp for the doors http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+KAC-6404.html

a low priced mono amp for the sub http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...KAC-8104D.aspx

and a loaded sub box http://musicmooseaudio.com/f150as_loaded_cvr10.html

with the amps and sub you looking at about 430 on top of the 400 for the hu and speakers. You could put an entire system in for about a grand, with the amp install kits and other wiring.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Alright, Ill look at those when I get some more time. Thanks for the quote!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:07 PM

Sundevil? are these good HU and amps? What do you recommend? Thanks for all the help you guys!

Old 04-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Lower end I like the look/interface of the sonys over the kenwoods. To be honest, the only kenwood single din I like is the BT945

Old 04-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Alright, I guess Ill do some more looking and research. Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: System