Upgrading to Premium Sound Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Upgrading to Premium Sound Question

I have a '97 F-150 with a non-premium cassette head unit. I have the chance to buy a premium cassette head unit with CD changer controls and a CD changer. Do I need to purchase a premium sound system upgrade kit. If so, what does installing the kit entail. Is it difficult or is it pretty straight forward. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 08-23-2000, 07:23 PM
I'm not sure about a kit, but I know you'll need the cable that runs from the changer to the HU. If it is the same as the 2000 F150, the HU is a Visteon, and the changer is a Clarion. You may want to check/upgrade your speakers also. Does the standard stereo have 4 speakers like the premium system? Circuit City sells speaker harnesses(sp?) that plug into the Ford HUs, so you can run your own speaker wires if necessary.
I don't mean to dis' your choice of equipment, but unless you have a strong desire to keep the OEM look, IMO the premium system isn't worth the trouble. It was the first thing I changed on my truck. Either way, enjoy your new system.

Old 08-24-2000, 04:54 PM
The premium system also includes an amplifier. So unless you have that it won't do you any good. Why? Because all the speakers and CD Changer run to it and then from there to the head unit. The harness going to the amp and the one from the amp to the HU are different. As well as deifferent colored wires. I had the premium unit and I also suggest getting aftermarket unless you must have the OEM look.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars. Rear seat lift 4".
Kenwood 4011 stereo, USAcoustics 2150 amp, Profile electronic 3 way crossover, 2 10" IDQ DVC's, and Polk Dx7 5x7/6x8 3 ways in the front doors.

FUTURE PERFORMANCE MODS:
4.10 gears, Edlebrock shocks, Magnacharger, Airaid, and slotted rotors.

OTHER FUTURE MODS:
Ram Air hood w/functional ram air, suspension lift, 17" polished wheels, 35" tires, and sunroof.

Old 08-26-2000, 11:14 PM
Wolvin 704: I just received the amp and the wiring for the premiuim sound system The H/U and the changer are to arrive in a couple of days. You said the speakers and changer go to the amp, then from there to the H/U. Do you know if I need a different harness for the speakers to plug into the amp or just switch the speakers from the old H/U to the amp? Any more advice would be appreciated. I hope I can get this to work without too much hassle. I know after market systems are much easier and sound better and I put a nice aftermarket system in my T-bird, but wanted to stay with the factory look in my truck.

Quick Reply: Upgrading to Premium Sound Question