Thunderforms using another sub???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thunderforms using another sub???

I recently purchased an unloaded MTX thunerform box through Digitalwaves for a 179$ which was the best deal I could find. Now Circuit Cuty has a deal with JBL subs, buy one get one free. Well I explained to the salesman that I would be running them in a Thunderform box. He said the JBL's would sound like crap in an MTX box and I would have to get MTX subs. Has anyone have experience with Thunderform boxes and a different sub other then MTX?? Thanks

------------------
97 F150 XLT Reg Cab 4X4 5spd, extra leaf in rear, adds about 1 1/2 lift, torsion bars 2 turns, BFG-AT's 285/75/16.

Old 07-25-2000, 07:41 PM
Thumbs down

That's a load of crap. As long as you match the volume of the box with the appropriate speakers they'll sound fine. I think the box you bought(for 2 10" subs) has 1.8cf volume, but I don't know the mounting depth. Look at the specs on the JBLs and see what volume box they need. Unless the free air resonance and Q factor are wildly different, 2 brands that need the equivalent size box will both perform within the specs of the manufacturer. Either way, CC has a 30 day money back guarantee...try them, and if you don't like them, swap them for the MTXs. I bought the same box loaded from Crutchfield (w/MTX6000s) but haven't finished mounting them yet. Good luck...

LocoSVT

Old 07-26-2000, 12:41 AM
Thanks Loco, now I see CC has some nice looking Kenwoods, also buy one get one free, I am thinking I will opt for them instead of the JBL. Thanks

Old 08-05-2000, 11:58 PM
Question

Where exaclty on digitalwaves did you purchase your Thunderforms? Thanks...

------------------
Silver 2000, Delivered, 2Mar00!
NLOC Member #344

Old 08-06-2000, 08:20 AM
I doubt that the JBL's will work in that box. They typically need alot of airspace to work properly. I bought a pair myself before I knew better and ended up having to buy another pair because they won't work.

------------------
97 F-150 S/C 4x4 ORP XLT 4.6 K&N , Flowmaster w/dual tailpipes, Bosch+4 plugs,Ford 9mm wires,Superchip.Patriot fiberglass toneau cover, Westin chrome step bars. Rear seat lift 4".
Kenwood 4011 stereo, USAcoustics 2150 amp, Profile electronic 3 way crossover, 2 10" IDQ DVC's.

FUTURE STEREO MODS:
Memphis components in front, Pioneer 3ways in rear, amp for the components, and a cd changer.

FUTURE PERFORMANCE MODS:
4.10 gears, Edlebrock shocks, supercharger, Airaid, power pulleys.

OTHER FUTURE MODS:
Ram Air hood w/functional ram air, suspension lift, 16.5" polished wheels, 35" tires, and sunroof.

Old 08-27-2000, 01:56 PM
You CAN use other subs. I personally thought the MTX subs sounded weak. I ended up going with 2 Fosgate Punch XLC 4ohm. They hit very hard. I had to modify the electrical connections because they would shake loose. I will try and get some photos up from the install. http://members.tripod.com/lovethesea/truck.htm

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Electric Sunroof, Super White Headlights.
Future Mods : White face gauge. Supercharger.

Sound System:
Sony ES CDX-C90 Head Unit, Sony ES CDX-91 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP-210 EQ/DSP, MTX Pro 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Boston Acoustic Pro Series 6.5 Components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear.

Todd's Domain

Old 08-27-2000, 07:15 PM
I would look around for more subs that would work in that volume for a sealed enclosure. They are so many out there for all different price ranges, and they each have a different sound. Even go to a car audio store and ask what they would recommend. I don't trust CC that much, I will buy from them but only when I know what I want.

------------------
black 97' x-cab 4x4, 5 speed 4.6, black westin nerf bars, pilot ground searchers, borla SS split rear exhaust, K&N genII, bosch +4 plugs, superchip, flexalite electric fan, v-tech oval side window covers, IAS shocks

premier 720, pioneer 6cd changer, 12 premier sub, premier componets, 2 soso amps

still to come: new spark plug wires, new rims and tires, maybe a supercharger eventually.

Quick Reply: Thunderforms using another sub???