Hot Factory CD Player

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2000, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hot Factory CD Player

I've got the factory single cd player in my truck and noticed that it gets extremely hot when in use. Outside temperature below 55 degrees, but sometimes I think I could actually burn my hand touching the faceplate, and wonder if I may end up melting some cds.

Anyone else ever notice this? Is this normal, or do I need to bring it in?

Thanks

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab
Black factory steps
Flareside Sport Package
Oxford White
Full tint
Bug Shield
CD player
17" wheels, K&N
Ford Soft Tonneau Cover
Gibson Super Truck
"Did it myself" Undercoating

Old 01-29-2000, 09:52 AM
Unhappy

I had a Pioneer CD in my last truck, and my new truck has the Ford CD. The pioneer did heat up the CD's. The Ford one also heats up the CD's. I wouldn't say mine has ever been to hot to touch though. If your's is getting that hot, I would take it by Ford. Keep the CD playing until a service guy can actually be there when you eject it. That way it wont have time to cool down and then they would just say "normal operation"!!

------------------
2000 F250 Crew Cab 4x2 6 speed Diesel XLT Super Duty, Woodland Green
Power Mirrors, 3.73 LS, Captains Chairs, ARE tonneau top, mud flaps
Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, sliding rear window, running boards
rear privacy glass, 265/75/16 AS OWL tires, am/fm/cassette/cd
Clarion APA 5240 amp, Memphis speakers:Components front, 5.7 rear, 10"sub

Old 01-29-2000, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

In 99 they started to build 80w amps into the HU.
In previous years the amp was external.
This is why they run so hot.

Old 01-29-2000, 03:20 PM
54regcab,

Do you have any more info on this topic? Where did you get this info from? I have been all through my owners booklet and the internet, and never found anything like that.

Old 02-11-2000, 10:28 AM
I had a Technics/Panasonic CD player in the last truck that used to damn hot, especially driving for 12 hours, never melted / warped a disc though.

Old 02-13-2000, 10:48 AM
I also have a factory CD in the dash. It's a 2000 XLT SC. The other day the CD ejected and the display said "CD TOO HOT" and wouldn't work until it cooled off. First time I ever heard of that! Anyone else have this trouble? Thanks, Bob G

Old 02-14-2000, 08:18 PM
YES. I had this problem in my truck just recently when I was running up to Tahoe from the SF Bay Area. I was about 3.5 hours into a 4 hour drive, and in the middle of the 6,000+ foot climb over Donner summit on I-80. I was running reasonably hard -- average just under 70 mph, and around 3200 rpm for the climb -- and it was about 30 degrees outside. The CD just quit, I got the "CD Hot" error message, and when the CD popped out it was hot to the touch.

It seems to me that if there's an error message on the CD player, Ford must anticipate this happening (although when I saw it, I thought "What the f---?!" because it was so odd). I wonder what a dealer would say about this? I'd love to hear any more info you can get.

I sure hope this problem doesn't get worse in the summertime.

**The HighPlainsDrifter: 2K F150 XLT 4x4, 4.6L Manual V8, Styleside, Ex-cab, 3.55 & Ltd. Slip, Black as Night with a SnugTop HiLiner Cap.

Old 02-14-2000, 08:23 PM
Whoops - sorry for this omission (thanks Tina for good questions): CD began working again after the summit, I estimate after about 25 min. of running cooler. Did not warp or damage the disc. It is the single (in-dash) CD player.

**The HighPlainsDrifter: 2K F150 XLT 4x4, 4.6L Manual V8, Styleside, Ex-cab, 3.55 & Ltd. Slip, Black as Night with a SnugTop HiLiner Cap.

Old 02-15-2000, 12:14 AM
Unhappy

motohead: !!!!!!! Nope, I've never had it tell me it was too hot!! How many hours had it been running??? When it did cool off, did it work right??? I think I would still call Ford service and ask some questions. Is this the CD/cassette/radio (premium upgrade option)?? Now I'm wondering if this happens during the winter, how's it going to play when the temps get up in the 90's????

Old 02-17-2000, 10:50 AM
Lightbulb

Our radios are designed to shut down the CD player when things get too hot inside. We could actually let them play hotter, but then the CDs would be too hot to touch. As it is, they come out of the radio warm but not too hot to damage the CDs or your hand.

FYI, the situation is worse in the winter because you are using the heat in your truck. In the summer, when you use A/C or vent, you probably won't get the shut down condition. Also, it usually takes 3 to 4 hours before you see a CD shut down situation.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:52 AM
Interesting threads. I thought I would find info on this situation here. I have had my truck for 3 years now and this problem just started happening to me. Mine starts happening about 1.5hr into playing a CD. It is more related to having the heater on but, since it just started tells me the age will increase the problem until it starts happening regardless of the season.

Based on the other postings, does anybody have any insight as to whether an aftermarket stereo would do the same thing? This would be a good oppurtunity to put in an upgrade (CD, MP3, WMA, XM) but, not if the same thing happens.

Old 02-19-2004, 03:29 PM
I have a 2003 f150 and am on my 4th radio. I have a cd/cassette combo and both the cd and cassette get so hot they will not play. My dealer tried to install a fan under the dash to cool the radio, but that did not help. This was not just a winter problem when the heat was on. It overheated in the summer when the air conditioner was on. So obviously they do not have it resolved yet.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:20 PM
derrick,

Cheaper aftermarket units will also overheat. I have always used high quality aftermarket units and have never ran into any of these problems. I have used upper end Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, Sony, Clarion and Rockford and have never had a problem. On the flip side I have seen and heard of cheaper units going into protect because of overheating. A couple I have seen that are bad for overheating is the JVC and Aiwa.

The trouble is really in the way the unit is built and could actually be caused by numerous things. If you run too many speakers on the unit and cause the internal amp to generate more heat than it can disipate it will cause the same failure on any unit aftermarket or stock. If you listen at high volumes for extended timeframes you will cause the internal amp to work harder and generate more heat and again lead to shut down.

The key is to understand why it is happening then avoid the situation. If you continually overheat the unit it more than likely will lead to failure of the unit.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:37 PM
My pioneer has never over heated and I drive a pretty good bit and never listen to radio. Pretty much everything I listen to is on cd. Never heard of this problem in my life. I know if you live a cd in the sun it will warp. Don't see how they could keep from warping if they are as hot as you are saying.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Some just get hot like that.

I have a Kenwood Excelon kdc-x959 ($500 unit). The face plate does not get hot, but the CD's are pretty warm when ejected.

My buddies Alpine does the same thing

Quick Reply: Hot Factory CD Player