newbie question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie question???

I just installed my old cb radio that i found in my garage. I think it's a cobra 25 classic or whatever. But anyways, theres the dynamic and squelch ****, and i'm wondering what they exactly do. And also is it worth getting a new cb radio? Are the new cb radios better? or all the same?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
My first car audio shop I worked for and later managed was also a full CB shop.  We peak, tuned, customized, and installed every type of CB system you could imagine.  To this day my father still runs a Cobra 29 with a 1000 watt linear amp on two oil filled hustler antennas.  The oil literly boils when you key the mic for extended times.

Dynamic is going to be like a amplifier to throw your voice further out there. Be careful though. Most guys will politely say "Turn your mic down" cause you're screaming into thier radios but if you're wanting to get out further to talk to people you have to crank it up to get out there. Most guys are pretty cool and will nicely inform you to turn it down but there are some guys that you will step on thier toes and they'll let ya know.

Squelch is like a antenna ranger. The more you turn it down the less "chatter" you will hear. It narrows your reception down to pinpoint the channel better and keep it in a tighter area. Like say you are trying to talk to truckers just in a 1 mile area to see if there are any "smokies" runnin radar. You don't want a guy 10 miles out hitting you up so you would adjust your squelch to tighten the area.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:17 PM
ok, thanks.... and also, is it worth getting a powered mic?

Quick Reply: newbie question???