1997 F150 radio swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 radio swap

Why won't the 98 and newer F150 am/fm/cd players work in my 97 F150 which has the am/fm/cassette deck? Is it size? Is it electrical? I'd like to install a factory cd player since they look cleaner than after market units.
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The harnesses are different. Although I was thinking they changed between the 98 and 99 years, and the 97 and 98's were the same.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe 99 and later use what is refered to as the "new world" plug. There are adaptors available to go from old to new. I also believe the newer radios require a little trimming of the dash or ductwork in back of the radio. I want to swap my 97's out. I looked into it, but that is far as I got.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bent6
I believe 99 and later use what is refered to as the "new world" plug. There are adaptors available to go from old to new. I also believe the newer radios require a little trimming of the dash or ductwork in back of the radio. I want to swap my 97's out. I looked into it, but that is far as I got.

Do you know if the 98 will fit the dash without any cutting?
Thanks

Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know fore sure, but 97 and 98 are significantly the same. I would think it would fit ok, but I'm not at all close to being a radio guy.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bent6
I don't know fore sure, but 97 and 98 are significantly the same. I would think it would fit ok, but I'm not at all close to being a radio guy.

They are exactly the same and it should work in your dash the same as if you are getting one out of a '97.

By the way, I am interested in a cd player for my truck and am wondering where I could get a stock unit to go with my truck. Your input would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by vernonbishop
They are exactly the same and it should work in your dash the same as if you are getting one out of a '97.

By the way, I am interested in a cd player for my truck and am wondering where I could get a stock unit to go with my truck. Your input would be appreciated.
I emailed two different places that were selling 98 F150 am/fm/cd players on ebay. They both said the plugs are different and there is not enough room in the 97 for the newer ones although the faces look the same size.

I don't know if an am/fm/cd player was an option in 97. I do know they had a cd changer that mounted in the side cubby hole behind the driver seat. Maybe because there wasn't enough room is why they had a seperate cd changer.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by 6T6CPE
I emailed two different places that were selling 98 F150 am/fm/cd players on ebay. They both said the plugs are different and there is not enough room in the 97 for the newer ones although the faces look the same size.

I don't know if an am/fm/cd player was an option in 97. I do know they had a cd changer that mounted in the side cubby hole behind the driver seat. Maybe because there wasn't enough room is why they had a seperate cd changer.

I apologize for the misinformation, I did not mean to lead you astray. I think that you are right about there not being a in dash cd option on the '97, however, I thought that you could take one out of a '98 and make it work on a '97. I guess I was wrong, and again I apologize. However, I would like to know where I could get a head unit, CD changer combo for my truck.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Believe it or not, the story is still not correct completely. 98 decks will work in a 97 - but only some of the 98's. The 98 F150's came in 2 versions of harnesses - and you can tell by wether or not the rear breaks are anti lock or not. Unfortunately I do not remember which way is which. Come to think of it, I don't even remember if my truck has anti - lock rears.

The majority of 98 OEM decks are compatible with 97 harnesses.

The other problem you would run into with an indash cd player, is that the cd player loading section of the deck needs to be on the bottom half. If it is in the upper part of the stereo, you will find that there is a bracket inthe truck that will interfere with the install. You can remove it simply with a dreml, etc... For it only adds rear suport to the factory deck.

Last edited by frostby; 10-17-2005 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by vernonbishop
I apologize for the misinformation, I did not mean to lead you astray. I think that you are right about there not being a in dash cd option on the '97, however, I thought that you could take one out of a '98 and make it work on a '97. I guess I was wrong, and again I apologize. However, I would like to know where I could get a head unit, CD changer combo for my truck.
There are many head units with cd player that will fit your truck. Go online to Crutchfield and you can see what fits. It will ask you your year and model and will list what fits with the optional mounting bracket. Since the factory radio is so big the bracket will be half for the radio and the other half a shelf to store whatever. Then you can buy the system elsewhere to save money. But Crutchfield is great to do business with.

I myself want a Ford unit just for the better factory look.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention OEM headunits don't attract thieves.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by frostby
Believe it or not, the story is still not correct completely. 98 decks will work in a 97 - but only some of the 98's. The 98 F150's came in 2 versions of harnesses - and you can tell by wether or not the rear breaks are anti lock or not. Unfortunately I do not remember which way is which. Come to think of it, I don't even remember if my truck has anti - lock rears.

The majority of 98 OEM decks are compatible with 97 harnesses.

The other problem you would run into with an indash cd player, is that the cd player loading section of the deck needs to be on the bottom half. If it is in the upper part of the stereo, you will find that there is a bracket inthe truck that will interfere with the install. You can remove it simply with a dreml, etc... For it only adds rear suport to the factory deck.
Can you send me your 98 to see if it will fit? Only kidding but I do want an am/fm/cd for my truck. I guess I'll have to yank mine out, then hunt around to see what will fit. If you have more info for me about this I sure will appreciate it.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by wandell
Not to mention OEM headunits don't attract thieves.

This is why I want a stock looking deck. I would rather have one of those than an aftermarket one for precisely that reason.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Thumbs up 1997 using newer CD Changer and HU

Hi,

I bought a OEMHU and CD Changer on ebay out of a 2001 F150 and just finished installing both into my '97 F150. Works perfectly. I had to purchase an adapter cable (P/N ADP1) and a wiring harness (Between HU and 6 disc changer - P/N XU3F-14588-DA) to connect them in the truck. Picked up the wiring at http://www.radiosandmore.com/ and was amazed at how quickly they shipped to me. Only other modification I had to make was to unbolt the steel bracket that held the old unit in place (three bolts in this, one you can see faces forward and two you have to reach up and back to feel, face towards rear of truck).

Good Luck.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:13 PM
-Ha ha ha

You got me on that one! If you want the factory stereo, w/cd, you probably will have to go newer than 98 though. Jacurcio has the right idea, get a forward and reverse harness and you can go with anything up to '04!

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 radio swap