High End !!!$$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High End !!!$$$$$$

Wow ....I just got a catalog from AUDIO ADVISOR....There is some crazy stuff in there...High end home audio...ADCOM, Wharfedale, Athena, Parasound, Marsh, some heavy duty wire too..Analysis,Cardas, MIT, Kimber Kable...Now I see some of the stuff cgorris and you other boys are talking about !

Old 12-02-2003, 09:04 PM
Re: High End !!!$$$$$$

Oh yes!

I feel I am fairly high end when it comes to my audio equipment in my truck, and really after the point where Im at it just mostly boils down to personal preferece.

Well if I did home audio I would have to spend like 20 times as much to even enter the high end world! If I do it right $150,000 would put me right where I want to be in home audio! All with cheap *** wire too

Old 12-03-2003, 12:37 AM
I LOVE AUDIO ADVISOR!!

They are great to work with and really know their stuff (home audio). Sometimes they run just some flat out awesome specials but other than that they are fairly decent prices on most of their stuff. Still like we said it is way way more expensive for home audio than car audio. But with virtually zero noise floor you hear absolutely everything in the home audio realm. I once heard a fart while listening to some classical music on a good friends system. From best I could tell it came from the French horn section. Anyway, you see what we mean when talking about it now.

Roush one thing you have got to try is either the Finyl Optical Impedance Matching CD treatment or one of the other companies that make the same type product. You will be amazed at the diference it will make. Your stereo image will become more defined and dynamics will be much more accentuated, not to mention your soundstage and depth will absolutely come alive. Truly amazing stuff!

Old 12-03-2003, 01:26 AM

Damn got me thinking about Home Audio again!

And the fart was from a roach near the tuba, which was near the fench horn section.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:46 AM
SEE You heard it too!!!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Before you go and spend a Billion dollars on some modern "High End" equipment, remember that there is still ALOT of vintage audio ('70's and early '80's) gear out there that will out perform ALOT of the, so called, "High End" stuff, in both output power AND distortion numbers.
Powerful, clear and superb sounding.
The true test is in listening.
I would put my "cheap" 4 speaker, 2 amp system up against most any modern system that cost $20,000 or more, and I bought all my pieces for less than $2000.

Just my opinion,
Lonster

Old 12-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Lonster,

I agree with you there for the most part. But that 2K system you are talking about is not a 2K system at all! If you paid 2k for vintage then that setup was more than likely in the 5-8k range when it was new. Now you have to factor in the inflation numbers and realize that the same thing you have now if bought new today would be well over 25k.

There are alot of ways you can save money and still run with the top dogs in home audio. One way is to design and build your own speaker cabinets and x-overs. With a little bit of research and a few CAD programs do this today becomes a much more simple task than what it used to be. Ok, so you no good with tools or your hands. No problem, desing your enclosures and take some blueprints down to the local cabinet shop and I am sure they will pop out a really nice set for a very low price. Since they have all the tools right there at hand they can typically build an enclosure in an hour or two from scratch. I watched a friend of mine (the one that taught me wordworking) pop out 2 identically matching cabinets, braced to the max for his home speakers in just over an hour. I was impressed! I am still slow but I get the job done

Anyway just thought I would add a thought to what you said.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 AM
cgorris,
You are correct!
But the point I was trying to make is that GREAT equipment is readily available, at a fraction of the cost of new stuff.
There's alot of people out there who don't know how "light weight" most of the modern stuff really is.
You have to do your research, and learn what vintage stuff was good and what was just fluff but it's not to difficult, and there's a TON of stuff available on ebay everyday.

I'm still waiting for that $500 Sansui G33000

By the way, thanks for the "inflationary" upgrade you did to my system! I now have a $25,000 system too!!
(Funny, it doesn't sound any better )

Rock on people,

Lonster

Old 12-12-2003, 01:10 AM
As far as a preamp goes and possibly amp goes I definately like the newer stuff as far as functionability.

I like to have new stuff that way I know how its been taken care of. However, Im looking to buy a 10 year old set of speakers and I think thats vintage enough for me.

Quick Reply: High End !!!$$$$$$