painting plastic...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
painting plastic...

Hi guys, I bought those chrome letters from auto zone a few years ago and the chrome is flaking off. So I bought more to replace the old ones but want them gloss black. I bought rustoleum plastic paint for this. Questions are 1 can I paint over the chrome with this paint or do I have to sand them? 2 any primer needed? 3 better off with krylon fusion? Thanks

Old 09-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would sand and drench them in acetone for awhile. Try getting the chrome coating off completly.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:16 PM
May not want to put them in acetone if they are plastic. There is a primer for the plastic paint.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by aussiekeeper
May not want to put them in acetone if they are plastic. There is a primer for the plastic paint.
Agreed.

Avoid acetone or oven cleaner, imho.

Look at it this way: if it takes aggressive chemicals like those to strip the 'chrome' coating, it follows that the coating's original adhesion to the plastic is certainly robust enough to use as a base, once you've lightly sanded it to remove the gloss, and applied a compatible primer.

Then just shoot it with Krylon Fusion (recommended) and clearcoat it if desired (also recommended).

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:18 PM
I tried sanding an extra one and I start deforming it before I get the chrome off completely. Maybe the sandpaper grit is too low/harsh? And soaking won't work because of the pre applied 3M tape. I bought the rustoleum plastic paint but will probably get krylon fusion to do them. I still have the clear coat from when I tinted my tails. I was planning on using that. Btw sandpaper grit is 150. I have never done this type of thing before. Just replaced the bar style f150 emblems with 09+ f150 emblems so I know how to get the 3M off from the old ones. Floss it off and goo gone the rest off. Any better way you guys know would help? I have to remove 16 of them.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Agreed.

Avoid acetone or oven cleaner, imho.

Look at it this way: if it takes aggressive chemicals like those to strip the 'chrome' coating, it follows that the coating's original adhesion to the plastic is certainly robust enough to use as a base, once you've lightly sanded it to remove the gloss, and applied a compatible primer.

Then just shoot it with Krylon Fusion (recommended) and clearcoat it if desired (also recommended).

MGD
Ayyyyye look who's back!

Are they that thin that they became deformed while sanding? Normally I wouldn't say this (I'd prefer the chrome be completely sanded off), but because I assume they're cheap and they apparently don't like to be sanded: I'd get some 400 grit, scuff em up, then do Krylon and clear and see what happens.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 AM
The chrome stays on for about 2 to 3 years if left alone. I was thinking scuffing them up too. They aren't thin but have defined edges that start to smooth over when I sand them. Plus in corners I won't be able to get it all off. If you look in my profile and see the ones that I have on there saying 4.2L beneath the f150 emblems, it's the same exact ones. Was also thinking about sanding the fronts only and leaving the edges chrome so it matches the 09+ f150 emblems kinda.

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sanding and painting the fronts only would be a lot of masking work, but that'd be cool.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:00 AM
Yeah true. It would look sweet tho.

Quick Reply: painting plastic...