Motocraft vs Duralast

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motocraft vs Duralast

We currently have a 2002 Ford F150 truck that needs some work done. The truck will be traveling halfway across the country and we want to make sure the parts are appropriate. The big things that need to be replaced are the u-joints in the rear drive shaft and the upper and lower ball joints. We want to know if there is a major difference between Motocraft vs Duralast. Motocraft, being a Ford product, would be more expensive but is there enough of a difference to bite the bullet and pay for a true Ford product. We will be working on the truck this weekend and need the information ASAP.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
MOOG......

Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Yep, I would go with Moog. Good price, well built, readily available and have lube zerks.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MOOG all teh way. If you get the correct uppers, teh ball jopints are actually replaceable for teh future if needed.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Moog is good, but you have to keep them greased. Grease attacks foreign matter. More grease to expel the contaminated.
The better the part, the less to worry about. Ford and Motorcraft is the way to go, -IF it were more affordable.

Personally, I check the expense difference first and compare. They are not always that far off in price. But check the Motorcraft prices at O'Reily's, Rock Auto or other. The dealerships are usually always high with price.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Moog is Motorcraft

Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Duralast is Autozone's item, and as cheap as Autozone's stocked products are, is the reason I would never use a Duralast product. Moog all day.

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
Moog is Motorcraft
To the best of my knowledge...'MOOG' IS NOT Motorcraft

Last edited by sam1947; 08-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Federal-Mogul MOOG® brand is not a Ford product. Motorcraft is made for Ford products.
Sounds like we need to check Motorcraft and a high end product at Auto Zone to get an idea of how much we will be spending replacing the parts we need.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM
rockauto.com

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
To the best of my knowledge...'MOOG' IS NOT Motorcraft
I just when through this with my neighbor who is a Ford MSE Tech.....I needed to replace the upper control arms on our 1997 Cougar Sport (V8)....he picked up a set from the dealer he works for (because he knew Moog was not Motorcraft) & I ordered a set of Moog oem replacement units from the part store I deal with.....

we opened the boxes together.......

same casting marks, both had zerc (grease) fittings installed that appreared visually to be identical, bushings also had the exact same markings from mfg.

Same mfg makes them for Moog & Ford under the Motorcraft Label.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM

I just when through this with my neighbor who is a Ford MSE Tech.....I needed to replace the upper control arms on our 1997 Cougar Sport (V8)....he picked up a set from the dealer he works for (because he knew Moog was not Motorcraft) & I ordered a set of Moog oem replacement units from the part store I deal with.....

we opened the boxes together.......

same casting marks, both had zerc (grease) fittings installed that appreared visually to be identical, bushings also had the exact same markings from mfg.

Same mfg makes them for Moog & Ford under the Motorcraft Label.
Ford replaced every part on my front end in the past. No zerks.

Sounds like you were taken.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Ford replaced every part on my front end in the past. No zerks.

Sounds like you were taken.
ok coming from a guy who doesn't turn a wrench themselve...check out the Ford OEM Motorcraft Parts replacement pic at this link....look at the enlarged picture, zerc fitting is included.....of course the mechanic doesn't have to install it or, you guessed it......

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...y&model=Cougar

Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Not to burst anyones bubble. But Duralast is made by the same manufacturer as MOOG and many other name brands. Autozone has changed alot. The Duralast products are actually quality parts, the Valucraft line is the cheap junk you don't want. I run a parts department and order this stuff all the time. Duralast part numbers are the same as the MOOG.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:53 AM

ok coming from a guy who doesn't turn a wrench themselve...check out the Ford OEM Motorcraft Parts replacement pic at this link....look at the enlarged picture, zerc fitting is included.....of course the mechanic doesn't have to install it or, you guessed it......

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...y&model=Cougar
Yea, no need for the link buddy, I'll pass. - Since you've just proved to me that you spew without the foggiest. A little oxygen may help, -first step may be extracting dur cranium from the exit bung.
I do all my own work and others. It's extremely rare that I farm anything out, ANYTHING! Unless I just don't have the time and need it pronto. At that particular time I was working 80-102 hrs per week, I drew the line @ 102. I had Ford do this one while I was at work and yes, NO "zerks" and they did a damn good job. I have close to 200,000 miles on their work and just now thinking about replacing the parts. It's really not that bad, wouldn't be afraid to stretch another 25,000 out of it.

So don't give me your crap....

I don't turn a wrench....- MY EYE!

Quick Reply: Motocraft vs Duralast