Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kitchenboy
If Im running an Edge that shows the coolant temp on it, can I use that to set the on points on the fan controllers. I am running the two controllers that come with the Troyer setup. I am running the inline adapter with two temp senders that plug into the controllers from Troyer. I know they say to use a laser temp reader in the directions, but just thought the Edge readout has to be just as accurate. If anyone has used this please let me know. Thanks, Mark

Thank-you Sam!

Caveat - depends on the controller. DCControl's probe placement is different than the others, for example - so may require some compensation.

In general I still prefer a measurement as close to the probe location as possible. Also remember ECT is inferred from CHT.

Sorry, Sam!

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-31-2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Dang! Used the wrong image ! LMAO !!!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
What's the reasoning here MGD ?? I have always used my Gryphon for the Temp adjustment. I also have the one of those infrared temp readers and things are usually no more than a couple of degrees difference. Educate me again please......

Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am running the controllers that come from troyer, but I am using the radiator hose adapter with the sensors in it instead of the radiator probes. So my temp reading will be coming from those two sending units in the upper radiator hose instead of the two probes stuck in the radiator which I have read are a PIA. Thats why I figured I could use the readout on my Edge.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by djohn1000
Awesome write up! Where is the best place to get the Painless Harness? Also where did you get the pillar gauge mount?
Sorry I must have mistakenly unsub'd from this thread. I googled the Painless controller and found the cheapest store and bought it. 4x4partsonline or something like that. I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by sam1947
What's the reasoning here MGD ?? I have always used my Gryphon for the Temp adjustment. I also have the one of those infrared temp readers and things are usually no more than a couple of degrees difference. Educate me again please......
The truck does not have a water temp sensor. It has a cylinder head temp sensor. While this does give some indication if water temp it is not accurate for such use. The easiest way to set the temp is to start the truck cold and allow it to warm up. Keep you hand on the rad hose at the entrance to the rad or if you have added the temp sensor and adapter like I did it you can keep your hand on that. When the t-stat opens you will feel the heat instantly. I set my fans to come on at this exact point.

For anyone interested the system is working flawlessly.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
The truck does not have a water temp sensor. It has a cylinder head temp sensor. While this does give some indication if water temp it is not accurate for such use. The easiest way to set the temp is to start the truck cold and allow it to warm up. Keep you hand on the rad hose at the entrance to the rad or if you have added the temp sensor and adapter like I did it you can keep your hand on that. When the t-stat opens you will feel the heat instantly. I set my fans to come on at this exact point.

For anyone interested the system is working flawlessly.
I guess there is some mis-understanding here twin....when I said I checked my temp with the infrared scanner I was aiming at the t-stat housing when opening and comparing it to the Gryphon. This is what I used to set the controller.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Sorry I must have mistakenly unsub'd from this thread. I googled the Painless controller and found the cheapest store and bought it. 4x4partsonline or something like that. I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere.
I believe that right now you cannot buy the 'Painless' controller. Production has stopped on them because of a possible short circuit in the controller. The last I knew their wouldn't be any available until late summer or into the fall. IIRC

Old 06-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
. Production has stopped on them because of a possible short circuit in the controller. The last I knew their wouldn't be any available until late summer or into the fall. IIRC
this is true, the units would experience a short in the power supply side of the PCB (seemingly at random) because of bad circuit design, this directly from painless when i was doing research for controllers. I have 2 FAL 31163 controllers wired for staggered turn on, and redundant operation with my 2012 fans. fully progressive, been working flawlessly.

Last edited by jmt0645; 06-09-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I emailed Painless and here is the response: "Hello; we have redesigned this unit and had to employ a different company to provide the motherboards for them. The company has to have the time to tool up to start producing the motherboards and they will not send the first batch to us until August. But when we receive these units we are ready to start producing the fan controller again."

Mine died right after install and they sent me another right away under the warranty. No issues. Guessing it has the new motherboard in it.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I emailed Painless and here is the response: "Hello; we have redesigned this unit and had to employ a different company to provide the motherboards for them. The company has to have the time to tool up to start producing the motherboards and they will not send the first batch to us until August. But when we receive these units we are ready to start producing the fan controller again."

Mine died right after install and they sent me another right away under the warranty. No issues. Guessing it has the new motherboard in it.
Re-read your response again, carefully..I'm guessing you got an original unit in return seeing as "they will not send the first batch to us until August". I would have a 'back-up' switch in case this one fails you too. I never installed mine, had a chance to sell it so I did. Anxious to see how the new design will turn out.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Anybody done the efan mod on a 08 150 with the electrical fan clutch. Wires coming from stock fan eletrical clutch throwing me for a loop. Do I just unplug it or would the check engine light shine or what problems will occure. Got 2012 150 efans for the swap. Thanks for the help, Danny

Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 AM
At least on my 07 (with the electrical connection) I never got a CEL or any other performance issues. If you hook up an OBDII reader there will be two codes stored (can't remember them now) says something about fan RPM low or something, but never any CEL light

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I'm assuming the OPs installation is still working?

Does anyone know if the wire colors are the same from year to year- I have a 2005.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Works like a charm

Old 01-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Just finished wiring a mad enterprise controller to the dual 2012 f150 efans I'v installed in my 08 Lariat 5.4 Efan installation was simple just a lil trimming and cutn. (big ups to twinskrewd) Finding a dry and out of site mounting location for the controller had me scratching and drinking until I relized the instructions suggest the perfect location for the controller. Wiring diagram was simple and easy to understand. Very nice controller

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)