Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason you want the fans running when the a/c on is to move air through the condenser. When my controller failed on a 95 degree afternoon, there was no cold air blowing through the vents.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome thread! Cant wait to get all my stuff together and run the 2010 fans.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Ok. Here some pics and updated wiring info. Pulling ac signal and 12v ign signal from the box on the fender did not work with the Painless box. Some how it confused it. The fans were actually shutting off during ac operation. So I figured out what to do and here it is. Also for you fellow Whipple owners some pics of how I mounted and supported the intercooler tank.
Install note update Do not tap into the air conditioning line in the harness running to the compressor. When the compressor kicks on and off there's a magnet that engages and disengages. Theres voltage that can travel back from this thus frying the box. Also while at Troyers for tuning we noticed my air fuel ratios going nuts for a few secs when the fan turned on and off. We believethisto bedueto whereI tapped in for ignition switch power. That being said you can find the air conditioning signal wire on the drivers side located by the air box inlet in the fender. There is a small black box over there with a harness going in. Here you will find the ac wire I described earliergreywith whitetracer wire. This is the proper place to tie in for air conditioning signal. You can pull switched ignituon current from the old clutch fan plug via the yellow with green tracer wire. Also the VSS wire is located in the radio harness and this is where you will needto tap in.The wire going to the throttle pedal is not correct.

Measured from the edge of the fender.

The bracket for the intercooler. Just alum flat bar. Bent to a 90. I then twisted it a bit so the tank could sit flat on it.

Last edited by twinskrewd; 11-13-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by twinskrewd
Ok. Here some pics and updated wiring info. Pulling ac signal and 12v ign signal from the box on the fender did not work with the Painless box. Some how it confused it. The fans were actually shutting off during ac operation. So I figured out what to do and here it is. Also for you fellow Whipple owners some pics of how I mounted and supported the intercooler tank.
Install note update:
Do not tap into the air conditioning line in the harness running to the compressor. When the compressor kicks on and off there's a magnet that engages and disengages. Theres voltage that can travel back from this thus frying the box.

Also while at Troyers for tuning we noticed my air fuel ratios going nuts for a few secs when the fan turned on and off. We believe this to be due to whereI tapped in for ignition switch power.

That being said you can find the air conditioning signal wire on the drivers side located by the air box inlet in the fender. There is a small black box over there with a harness going in. Here you will find the ac wire I described earlier grey with white tracer wire. This is the proper place to tie in for air conditioning signal.

You can pull switched ignition current from the old clutch fan plug via the yellow with green tracer wire.

Also the VSS wire is located in the radio harness and this is where you will need to tap in.The wire going to the throttle pedal is not correct.
Cleaned this up to make it easier for me later

Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will the 2010 fans fit on a 2005? i think 05 and 07 would be the same.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Should be the same.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:02 PM
The only thing i'd add here:

Since you get A/C feed from driver side and the way the painless controller power and ground feeds to the fans work

I think placement of the controller on the driver side would have been cleaner. Less going on over there. I'll be routing wires into cab on Sunday and suspect I'll need to extend them a bit. Had i mounted on driver side no extra lenght would have been needed.

It works well and looks great on pass side, just think it would be better on driver side. I put on pass side, but with the updated wiring info from twinskrewd for those not yet started on the install, consider driver side for controller and ground leads to fans with power leads to fans still going down pass side.

Big thanks to twinskrewd for all the pics, wiring advice, and videos.

Last edited by sugar-rush; 11-20-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Hey twin. How's the painless setup holding up? I was going back and reading this thread as I am going to be ordering mine in the next few days. And was thinking about the NPT fitting and hose adapter. Usually Cars have ports in the heads where fittings could be screwed into without having the hose adopters. Do these trucks not have these??

Old 02-27-2012, 07:21 AM
As far as I know, there are no openings on these trucks for the temp probe to screw into. The adapter is the best bet. On that note, the adapters aren't cheap ($35-40 IIRC) and the hole needs to be drilled and tapped for the sending unit, but it's the best setup.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by sam1947
As far as I know, there are no openings on these trucks for the temp probe to screw into. The adapter is the best bet. On that note, the adapters aren't cheap ($35-40 IIRC) and the hole needs to be drilled and tapped for the sending unit, but it's the best setup.
I drilled my thermostat housing for my Water Temp gauge. Just be careful cuz it's cast aluminium

Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
I drilled my thermostat housing for my Water Temp gauge. Just be careful cuz it's cast aluminium
That is why I think that the adapter is the 'safer' alternative, but, if that is working for you then great !

Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
That is why I think that the adapter is the 'safer' alternative, but, if that is working for you then great !
Yeah, I know the adapter is safer, but this was cheaper lol
Just another option, going on a year with it working well for me

Old 02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
What color was the VSS wire in the radio again?

EDIT:
vss wire is grey/with black stripe at radio loom

Last edited by poolboy1191; 03-04-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Awesome write up! Where is the best place to get the Painless Harness? Also where did you get the pillar gauge mount?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 PM
If Im running an Edge that shows the coolant temp on it, can I use that to set the on points on the fan controllers. I am running the two controllers that come with the Troyer setup. I am running the inline adapter with two temp senders that plug into the controllers from Troyer. I know they say to use a laser temp reader in the directions, but just thought the Edge readout has to be just as accurate. If anyone has used this please let me know. Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Install (Pics & Vid)