Mad Enterprise EFan Install / Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mad Enterprise EFan Install / Review

Today I installed my recently purchased Mad Enterprise Fan / Controller setup courtesy of Mike @ Mad Enterprise.

I purchased the "MADFAN DIY Kit"
This kit utilizes the trusty Mustang GT two speed fan.
The difference is in the assembly. I set it up to go into the
shroud backwards and then reverse the fan direction. This
gives a cleaner looking installation and also frees up more
space in front of the engine for access. Kit includes the
Multifunction Controller, all necessary hardware, etc.
Requires drilling three holes in your fan shroud.
Shipping was quick and reasonable and Mike kept me updated every step of the way. The reason I picked the Mad Enterprise set up is that after hours of research on many Lightning forums I have yet to ever see a bad review and have yet to see any of the Mad controllers fail other then bad install. If its good enough for their 700RWHP its more then enough for me.

Pics of the install:

Fan fresh from the shipping box on my tool box. It has foam that surrounds the fan that when the twine is removed expands to fill in the gap of the stock fan shroud that you reuse. Fan also comes with preattached mounting brackets.

Stock clutch fan off, Mad Fan next to it. Roughly the same diameter.

Mad fan mounted into the factory fan shroud. I had to modify the shroud a little bit to get the bottom mount bolted up. The fan feels firmly installed with just the 3 mounts and I dont for see any issues with it ever.

Fan mounted, you can see from the back how it mounts and the foam fills the shroud with the twine off.

I saw a few people who mounted their controllers on top of the washerfluid reservoir. I liked this idea as its a cool dry place and its a easy flat surface. I used self taping screws and drilled each into the reservoir. I then removed one at a time and filled the hole with RTV (silicone) and reinserted the screw. I did this to keep any moister inside the bottle and away from the controller.

As you can see, the controller isnt the "prettiest" controller out there, but with a perfect track record I really dont care. Function over looks. Wiring is very very easy and comes with a user friendly wiring diagram. All the connectors and everything you need come shipped with the kit. However, because I mounted my controller farther away, I had to extend some wires. To do so, I had to use some wire and connectors that I had at the shop. After all the wiring was done I used the split wiring looms I bought from Napa to clean up the install and try to make it look better then just having multi colored wires going everywhere.

Finished controller install

Adjusting the control is easy to do. I put a thermometer in the top of the radiator and after 2 attempts I finally was able to get exactly where I wanted it. I put in 180* thermostat in too as the Whipple is suppose to be 160* and that is a bit low. I have the fan kick on low speed at 190* and when it does it runs for a few seconds until the coolant temp drops to ~140* when then it shuts off. The fan is really quiet although I haven't heard it on high speed yet. Even for low speed it still pushes a TON of air. The best part of this kit is that it actually uses a sensor to gauge condensor pressure (aka heat) to turn on the fan also. Rather then just turning on when the compressor is on. This keeps the fan from coming on when it doesnt actually need to be, IE driving down the road at 65MPH where the air through the condensor is plenty. It also has a sensor in the radiator to turn the fan on high speed when it reaches 205*+. Again keeps the fan from turning on full speed when it really doesn't need to.

So far I've noticed more power from off idle acceleration and A/C blows 8* cooler at idle (according to thermometer). Should make Arizona summers not as bad now.

Overall I couldnt have been happier with the setup and truely I think its vastly better then most setups out there especially when you consider its almost $150 less then some other setups (FAL, JDM etc). Even if you just get the controller I dont think you can go wrong with Mad Enterprise

Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the good words. Everything we make or sell is what we use on our own vehicles.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, I have the dual e-fans from Flex-a-lite and love them. Arizona summers are brutal and a nice cold a/c is a must. Best/most fun mod I've ever done...too bad I didnt know of MAD before hand...oh well.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Yea I was looking at the flex a lite 270 for a long time but with the $500 price tag and people having problems with the controllers (although not so much with the latest version if you are fortunate enough to get that one) I just couldnt pull the trigger. But when I saw the price on this set up and read all about the controller I was sold! This is a must have mod in the desert states!

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Like how the fan mounts. So this kit is compatible with 04-08 F150's. Hmmm.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I wonder if this kit can be used on 09-10 F150's...hmmmmm

Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Like how the fan mounts. So this kit is compatible with 04-08 F150's. Hmmm.
Yea, only thing is on the bottom part where the fan mounts is a little different. Our shroud is double walled so you have to cut out one of the walls so you can put a bolt through. Its no biggie if you have some snippers. You also need to put a hole in the shroud for the wires to pass through. Again no biggie if you have some tools that can cut plastic.

This kit can be used on anything with a 21-22" shroud opening

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
This kit can be used on anything with a 21-22" shroud opening
Thanks!! Their site doesnt list the 09-10 as an option.

Also, how does it do on cooling in the "real world"? Is your A/C colder at idle and such?

I love this idea as long as it gives performance AND upgrades the cooling. I do believe I read someplace that either the 2010 or the 2011 changed to e-fan from the factory.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrd351
Thanks!! Their site doesnt list the 09-10 as an option.

Also, how does it do on cooling in the "real world"? Is your A/C colder at idle and such?

I love this idea as long as it gives performance AND upgrades the cooling. I do believe I read someplace that either the 2010 or the 2011 changed to e-fan from the factory.
Yes, the 2010 F-150 has dual e_fans from the factory. They are very easily adaptable to the 04-08 years also. Just have to supply an acceptable controller for them

Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by IR0NS1N
Today I installed my recently purchased Mad Enterprise Fan / Controller setup courtesy of Mike @ Mad Enterprise.

I purchased the "MADFAN DIY Kit"

Shipping was quick and reasonable and Mike kept me updated every step of the way. The reason I picked the Mad Enterprise set up is that after hours of research on many Lightning forums I have yet to ever see a bad review and have yet to see any of the Mad controllers fail other then bad install. If its good enough for their 700RWHP its more then enough for me.

Pics of the install:

Fan fresh from the shipping box on my tool box. It has foam that surrounds the fan that when the twine is removed expands to fill in the gap of the stock fan shroud that you reuse. Fan also comes with preattached mounting brackets.

Stock clutch fan off, Mad Fan next to it. Roughly the same diameter.

Mad fan mounted into the factory fan shroud. I had to modify the shroud a little bit to get the bottom mount bolted up. The fan feels firmly installed with just the 3 mounts and I dont for see any issues with it ever.

Fan mounted, you can see from the back how it mounts and the foam fills the shroud with the twine off.

I saw a few people who mounted their controllers on top of the washerfluid reservoir. I liked this idea as its a cool dry place and its a easy flat surface. I used self taping screws and drilled each into the reservoir. I then removed one at a time and filled the hole with RTV (silicone) and reinserted the screw. I did this to keep any moister inside the bottle and away from the controller.

As you can see, the controller isnt the "prettiest" controller out there, but with a perfect track record I really dont care. Function over looks. Wiring is very very easy and comes with a user friendly wiring diagram. All the connectors and everything you need come shipped with the kit. However, because I mounted my controller farther away, I had to extend some wires. To do so, I had to use some wire and connectors that I had at the shop. After all the wiring was done I used the split wiring looms I bought from Napa to clean up the install and try to make it look better then just having multi colored wires going everywhere.

Finished controller install

Adjusting the control is easy to do. I put a thermometer in the top of the radiator and after 2 attempts I finally was able to get exactly where I wanted it. I put in 180* thermostat in too as the Whipple is suppose to be 160* and that is a bit low. I have the fan kick on low speed at 190* and when it does it runs for a few seconds until the coolant temp drops to ~140* when then it shuts off. The fan is really quiet although I haven't heard it on high speed yet. Even for low speed it still pushes a TON of air. The best part of this kit is that it actually uses a sensor to gauge condensor pressure (aka heat) to turn on the fan also. Rather then just turning on when the compressor is on. This keeps the fan from coming on when it doesnt actually need to be, IE driving down the road at 65MPH where the air through the condensor is plenty. It also has a sensor in the radiator to turn the fan on high speed when it reaches 205*+. Again keeps the fan from turning on full speed when it really doesn't need to.

So far I've noticed more power from off idle acceleration and A/C blows 8* cooler at idle (according to thermometer). Should make Arizona summers not as bad now.

Overall I couldnt have been happier with the setup and truely I think its vastly better then most setups out there especially when you consider its almost $150 less then some other setups (FAL, JDM etc). Even if you just get the controller I dont think you can go wrong with Mad Enterprise
How is the setup working for you ?? I'm about ready to install the same setup in mine the next few days. Only change I am making is that I made a bracket for the controller that sits just behind the radiator support near the inlet hose

Old 07-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Zero issues and loving the .5-1 mpg increase that I got. Power is great too! I used some tool box liner to cover my controller as I installed a hood with an open vent. Just extra precaution to keep water off it

Old 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
I just put one in this weekend..right out of the box ! High speed relay kaput !!..That equals no fan altogether !!. I had a 5 terminal relay in my junk box.plugged it in and Bam..everything worked. Poor Mike, he was so apologetic over this..not his fault, do-do happens. Got another one in the mail on the way from Mike. GREAT GUY to work with. I mounted my controller on a fabbed-up plexiglass support right behind the Rad support on the right hand side. Going to come up with a clever cover before the snow flies.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Honestly I never tried my fan for highspeed. Ive only seen it kick on low speed and I've never had it even try to overheat. That sucks about your luck but yea Mike is an excellent guy and I've seen nothing but good about him on the Lightning forums hence why I chose to use his set up.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM
What tipped me off was I tried to do the by-pass feature (if you wanted to install emergency switch) as per the instructions..I did that and NOTHING happened...that's when I discovered the bad relay. It looks as though that relay is used even on the low speed side, hence, the non-working setup at any temp for me

Old 07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
ah ok. So then that means mine works lol. I stuck a thermometer, that I use to check A/C temperature in a cabin vent when I do A/C performance checkups on cars, in the top of the radiator and was able to get the fan to kick on the instant that the radiator reaches 190* and have never seen the high temp (205*) swtich kick in. I just tested it by turning on the A/C before the radiator was up to temp to ensure the A/C switch worked.

Quick Reply: Mad Enterprise EFan Install / Review