Avic-Z2 & '07 F150 - Perfect match?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avic-Z2 & '07 F150 - Perfect match?

Is the '07 w/ Audiophile system (no Nav) pre-wired for the VSS and reverse signal outputs? Going to self-install Z2, but concerned about these issues. Any help appreciated.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, the vss wire is back there...its grey/black. i know if you buy a scosche brand harness the pink wire on the harness will match up with the pink wire on the z2. the reverse wire, however is not. its black/pink in the drivers kick panel, grey plug, pin 13.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Man, I'm really stuck! I wanted the factory Nav unit, but now debating on the Avic-Z2. Like the ease of install for the OEM, but more features with the Z2. Believe it or not, I have the money for either and I don't know what to do! I had Mark in mind for the OEM unit and Crutchfield on the line for the Z2. I like the add-ons like Bluetooth, backup cam and Sirius on the Z2 but it's just so much crap you have to hookup! I'm leaning back towards the OEM Nav. Anybody wants to chime in on their takes on either unit? - As far as install, features, likes, dislikes, etc. Thanks. - Og

Last edited by OgRedd; 05-14-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I like my OEM unit, and chose it because of the stock look plus the ease of install. I have never installed an aftermarket Nav unit and was a bit intimidated, so I went with the OEM. I got a good deal too, so it made the decision easier. However, the aftermarket units have more expansion options. There are really no options for the OEM, you get Sirius, rear DVD options, Nav, mp3, and that is really it. No rear camera options, no DVD player in the actual unit, no 3D maps like some of the aftermarket Navs. Other than that I am happy.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks, dude. Leaning even more to the OEM. - Og

Old 05-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Just installed Z2 in my 150 SCREW about 3 days ago. Simple install. Reverse wire is easier just above the fuse panel on the passenger side(green/yellow). Mounted the GPS antenna on metal bracket under the dash tray. Get great reception. Get the Scosche harness (FD23B) it has the pink wire for the VSS. THere is a thread on here with install pics.
I took out the factory sub and replaced the door spkrs with Pioneer three ways. Get plenty of bass. Bought the harness to put the sub back in if I get the urge.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:20 AM
I was told that the reverse wire is in the kick panel on the driver's side. There may be a difference in the year model F150s. I have a '07. Anyway, I was thinking of ordering it from Crutchfield. Not really sure if the harness that comes with it is a Scosche or not. I wanted to order the OEM from Mark (Nothinbutaford), but I never heard anything from him. If I go with the OEM, it will probably be from the dealership. Let me know if you ordered your Z2 from Crutchfield. How do like the DVD playback? Got any pics? And where is that install thread? I searched and I only come up with meager pics of the Z2 in the dash. (Nothing of an in-depth install.) Still on the fence on both units. Definitely going to order by tomorrow. (One or the other, dammit!) Thanks for the input.

Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 AM
Hit Travis up at www.kcautosound.com before you spend $2100 at Crutchfield. He'll save you a chunk of money on the Z2. The OEM is nice but the features are just limited. You gain sooo much by going with an aftermarket. I used to have a Z1 which I sold to my neighbor. I now run a Kenwood DDX7019 with the nav upgrade and my wife has a DDN7100 all-in-one. Got them both for $1300 each from Travis.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I installed the AVIC-Z2 about 2 months ago and I can tell you there's a big difference between the ford nav system and this superior Multimedia Nav system! If you have the money you shouldn't even consider anything stock because you're just going to find yourself wanting the features it doesn't have.

The best adapter for the Z2 is the bluetooth unit... Hands free and voice activated, you'll never be searching to answer the phone again! (and talking on the phone handsfree is definately a lot safer)

I also have the reverse cam, XM sat, and iPod adapters... The unit also handles 3 zones of entertainment so you can be watching the Nav up front, watching a DVD back left and playing Xbox 360 back right. ( a bit excessive, but at least everyone's entertained and quiet while you're on road trips)

The fact that you can rip CDs to the HDD eliminates the need for a CD changer and prevents the inevitable scratched discs.

Althought the hack has yet to be figured out, one of these days there will be unrestricted access to all the features while moving. POI search, and Vicinity search helps out a ton when you're in a new twn or don't know where the closest bank, store, electronics shop, or whatever it is you're looking for.

IMO there isn't anything on the market with the same features so why settle for anything lesss? Unless $$$ is an i$$ue... I spent about $3300CAD for the Z2 with all the adapters, and installation... Not too cheap, but you get what you pay for.

You could go with the more expensive Eclipse, but you're still not getting all the features of the Z2.

There's my $0.02CAD / $0.016USD

Quick Reply: Avic-Z2 & '07 F150 - Perfect match?