Magellan Integrated Ford F-150 Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Magellan Integrated Ford F-150 Navigation System

I have order one of these Magellan's. Before I install the unit is there anything I should add? I am going to add the USB cable just in case I want to add my own "Points of Interest" and possibly future updates. But, I am also thinking of adding one of these Traffickit's. Has anyone ever installed one and is it an easy task? It looks like it just plugs into your antenna. Also, I know the Magellan uses Secure Digital, should I buy a larger memory stick for the unit before I get it installed in the vehicle?

Last edited by MeanGene; 09-08-2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Changed some incorrect information
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MeanGene,
I just ordered one today. I was considering the in dash stuff but it looks too generic and I do like my radio setup on the stock vehicle.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
What did it set you back?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Fritz_H
What did it set you back?
I was wrong in my orginal statement about the memory stick, it's a SD Secure Digital type of memory. Since the Magellan uses a 20 Gig HD you probably won't need it.

I paid 998.00 through eBay with free shipping. The only negative is that it won't be here until Monday 9/11.

MeanGene

Last edited by MeanGene; 09-08-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:16 AM
jsb
20 Gb Hd?

Originally Posted by MeanGene
I was wrong in my orginal statement about the memory stick, it's a SD Secure Digital type of memory. Since the Magellan uses a 20 Gig HD you probably won't need it.

I paid 998.00 through eBay with free shipping. The only negative is that it won't be here until Monday 9/11.

MeanGene
20 GB Hard drive? Are you sure? I haven't found anything that says that the Brandmotion Megellan has a 20 GB HDD. Are you going to install it yourself? I'd like to know what your thoughts are about it, installation and usage, after you've had a chance to experience it. I'm thinking about this vs. something like the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 in a 2007 F-150 FX4 that I'm ordering around December. If I decide to buy this BrandMotion Magellan, then I would order the Ford Factory AudioPhile Audio system, but if I buy the AVIC-Z1, I would only order my F-150 with the standard audio system. Let me know.
Thanks,
JSB

Old 09-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by jsb
20 GB Hard drive? Are you sure? I haven't found anything that says that the Brandmotion Megellan has a 20 GB HDD. Are you going to install it yourself? I'd like to know what your thoughts are about it, installation and usage, after you've had a chance to experience it. (snip) JSB
I haven't received it yet, but when I do I'll write a thread about it, stay tuned.

Here is an article that shows the installation, very easy.

It's basicly the same as the Roadmate 760

Magellan RoadMate 760
Includes One Year Manufacturer's Warranty

GPS Vehicle Navigation System
TrueFix™ GPS Technology
(For Accurate & Reliable GPS Navigation)
3.75" Color Touch Screen
Turn-By-Turn Voice & Visual Guidance
SayWhere™ Text-To-Speech Technology
SmartDetour™
Built-In Infrared Communication
Night View
Smart Volume
3 Easy-To-Use Guidance Screens
Pre-Loaded Detailed Maps
20GB of Internal Memory
7 Million Pre-Loaded Points of Interest
Multiple Destination Routing with Route Optimization
Color: Gray

Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 AM
I paid $998 including shipping direct from Brandmotion. It is to arrive today and as said before, installation is easy. The woman who took my order says there are pics with the setup and that they were trained to help people install over the telephone so it must be somewhat easy. Also, on the Ford-trucks.com website there is a step by step pictorial on how to do it.
There is a recommendation here to add your own USB cable and thread it towards the rear of the area on the passenger side. It is recommended (but apparently not supported by Brandmotion??) to do this on this site. It is makes it easier to update the computer software when new versions are released.

I did look at the Panasonic and the AVN unit. I decided not to go with those for the following personal reasons:
1.) Having everything inetgrated into one unit can be confusing.
2.) Installation would be required by a professional (for me anyway)
3.) When you have everything inetgrated into one unit, the chance of losing other functions is greater; i.e I like redundancy in electronic systems.
4.) My personal prefference is that the Magellan looks like it belongs there. Definitely looks like a factory installed unit.
5.) I love the ability to manipulate the sat/radio from the steering column.
6.) The Magellan is a known, quality, American name in GPS worldwide with the most experience in satnav.
7.) It was less expensive to boot.
8.) There are 8 million set points and a "traffic negotiation" update is on the way.
9.) The screen, although smaller than the other two gps units mentioned, does not seem to be that much smaller judging by the photos. Will give you an honest opinion when I receive it.

If it arrives today, I will install it by tomorrow and also report back.

Trending Topics

Old 09-11-2006, 12:13 PM
jsb
Thanks, MeanGene and Dogedoc, I'll be waiting....

Thanks, MeanGene and Dogedoc, I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

JSB

Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 PM
So this is the deal.

The screen is definetly small BUT.........

1.) Because it is small, the screen quality is of high quality.
2.) They ingeniously "scale" the directions the closer one gets to the destination. It automatically magnifies as you get closer to the destination so you do not notice the size of the screen. I was able to view with great clarity all that I needed to view today.
3.) In the manual (and BTW I agree whole heartedly-if you ever have encountered a woman talking on the telephone, going 70 MPH and brushing their hair at the same time you know what I mean- nb: no offense to women folk but the truth is the truth), it explicitly states that the reason the screen is small is that the company wants you to depend on the audible instructions as your eyes shold always be on the road.
4.) The audible instructions are AWESOME. I have a 2002 Range Rover with the infamous "Jeeves" GPS.- great British accent. It does not compare to these instructions. There is a nice chime that signals the turn is imminent (12 feet away).
5.) My recommendations to this company are
a.) make the screen larger (I still would like it larger) and
b.) since the thing is plugged into the radio anyway, it go through the OEM speaker system and not depend on it's own speaker.
6.) The controls are FABULOUS and very easy to negotiate. They are very intuitive.
7.) Options are incredible.
8.) When you save a position into your address book, it save the longitude and lattitude. Now this may not seem like much, but when I go to Schenley Park in Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix evbery June, Schenley Park is HUMONGOUS. It's nice to be able to save the coordinantes and go to the exact spot you need to go to via the city streets!!

Now, I have the opportunity to return this device if I so choose. I have decided to keep it so that should tell all. The device is somewhat small so as to not obstruct your view of the right front fender- smart move.

I would definetly not hesitate buying this device if you are on the ropes about it. It looks great and I already had another F150 guy parked next to me today come up to me and ask me about it after one day of ownership!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by dogedoc
So this is the deal.
I just got done installing it. Didn't take much, getting the face plate off was the hardest part. I will be providing info on some things I discoverd during the install, right now I will be out playing.

One question that I have right now. I don't need to turn Auto Off on because the unit turns off with the truck, right?

Last edited by MeanGene; 09-12-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:26 PM
It'll be interesting to hear live feedback...

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 PM
One question that I have right now. I don't need to turn Auto Off on because the unit turns off with the truck, right?
No., It turns it's self on and off with the ignition.
btw, let me know how you like the Traffickit you got with your. I might add this to mine soon. Thanks

Originally Posted by vader716
It'll be interesting to hear live feedback...

Vader, check this out. If you have any questions just ask. I'll not an expert, but it's pretty simple to use.http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...on_System.html

Last edited by whitecrystal1; 09-12-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 AM
I just got done installing it. Didn't take much, getting the face plate off was the hardest part. I will be providing info on some things I discoverd during the install, right now I will be out playing.

Correct. It turns on an off with the vehicle.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:08 PM
Well, I have been using the F-150 Magellan for a while and I can truthfully say I like it. The only thing that I would want to change is updated maps. I hope that the USB cable I installed (5 pin) will provide that capability when it becomes available.

Some things that I noted during the install:

1) Make sure that the antenna is pointed in the right direction. It's under the plastic dome. Mine was attached with two sided tape and was a little loose. I talked to BrandMotion about this and they said that current models have this glued down and can't move. My unit off of eBay must have been an older unit.

2) It does have a slot for Compac Flash memory, but since this unit has a 20 Gig HD, it's not enabled. So don't worry about having to get more memory for it.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
I tell ya it looks good...not as good as the in-dash unit but good.

I'm having a hard time shelling out a grand when I have a portable NAVMAN for $200 bucks that is great.

Quick Reply: Magellan Integrated Ford F-150 Navigation System