Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...

All,
Up till now I'd been interested in the Avic-N2, but I saw that Pioneer has released the Avic-D1 that can do what the N2 can do minus the video.

Since I don't care about video, I'm considering this unit. Anyone out there got one installed? If so, what did you pay for the head unit?

I like the double din setup and price, too. I know I could pay more for an N2, but I simply won't use the video. Comments would help.

The MSRP for the D1 is $1800, and I'd bet I could get a better price if I shop around.

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm very interested as well. Keep us posted if you get one and the prices you find.

Old 04-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I sure will. This unit is so new that I haven't seen any listed on ebay. I don't believe that Crutchfield is listing them yet, either.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:48 PM
THey are popping up on e-bay, but all pre-orders.. .http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...770771459&rd=1

Still a huge bummer they cannot play DVDs & require a second DVD player... but it can control an external player. Still looks like a solid product.

Old 05-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Just found out that the AVIC-D1 won't fit the F150 without some modification to the face plate and mounting area inside the dash. My installer (a pro here in town) said that it wasn't a major problem and he's put several double din units into the F150...it just adds an hour or two to the install time.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:59 PM
The AVIC-D1 hasn't started shipping from Pioneer yet. This is so typical of manufacturers. They start releasing details of new products, including advertising, dealer brochures, etc long before the product is ready to ship. this allows them to gauge the response so they don't over-produce the product. Plus, some of them are just plain disorganized! Boss Audio is a prime example. Just about all of thier 2005 releases have not started shipping yet, but you will find them listed everywhere.

Oh, and the D1 is a double DIN unit, and the opening of a F150 is a 1 and a half DIN. So yes, cutting will be required.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:46 AM
Yikes! The 2005 F150 is only a 1.5 din? I thought it was a double din. I was just about to order the Pioneer AVIC-D1 and install it myself, but perhaps I am SOL!

My local Ultimate Electronics dealer will sell me the unit for $1,599.95 and install it for $150. However, I can buy it online (in stock as of today) from JJ Electronics (http://www.jjielectronics.com/index....l=&strCompare=) for $1,249.99 and then I thought I could install it myself and save $500.

I don't want to risk screwing up my dash at all. What do you folks recommend? Is it just physically impossible to install this unit and have it look "factory installed?"

Thanks to all of you for your input - this is a great site!

Chris

Old 05-07-2005, 11:51 AM
cwilley,
Take your price to your dealer and push him to come down some. My local guy has said that he'll meet or beat any internet authorized factory dealer.

But, yeah, you probably are a little SOL. My guy assured me that the F150 is a 1.5 DIN and he'd have to cut. That said, the installer I'm dealing with is supposedly one of the best in my state (Stereo West in Nebraska). They do some sick one-off custom installs, so I trust their ability. That said, I wouldn't go cutting it myself. I think it would be worth spending $$ to have a pro do it, but that's me.

One thing to consider is to buy a backup faceplate to have on hand if you sell it. Take it back to your installer and have them put in your old system if you want to keep it should you decide to sell / trade your truck. Some places will return your vehicle to factory specs at no charge, but they are hard to find. Maybe you could work that into the deal. I'm not sure if this is doable, but it is what I'm considering.

Paul

Last edited by plester73; 05-07-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Well, I did it. I went ahead and ordered the Pioneer AVIC-D1 from JJ Electronics ($1,249 and no tax!). Now I guess I will find out if it really is in stock.

Although I am a Sirius fan (have it in other vehicle, and really like having the NFL games), I went ahead and ordered the XM unit with NavTraffic. With the "real-time" traffic avoidance feature combined with the enhanced graphical XM interface, I just couldn't pass it up. I hope it does not let me down.

I'm not a pro at installations, but I will give it a try. I will stop before I screw anything up too bad and will take it to a local installer if necessary. But I read enough online descriptions of double-din installs in the 05 Screw that I felt compelled to give it a shot (plus I am super impatient and wanted to get it right away!!).

I believe I need a wiring harness, and I will see if my local Circuit City has the one I need (Metra PR-0180 I think).

I will keep you apprised of my progress.

Just FYI: future projects, if this goes well:

- backup camera
- power fold mirrors
- auto locking tailgate
- head rest DVD
- Leer shell (as soon as I can sell my recently installed Truck Covers USA American Roll Cover)

If any one has any advice about the AVIC-D1 install, or undertakes a similar project, please let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Are you aware that NavTraffic is only available in 20 select markets across the country. For Arizona, it is only available in the Phoenix area.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, I was aware of that; but thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately, I live and drive in the greater-Phoenix area, so there shouldn't be any problem with coverage.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:14 PM
would it fit if you removed the passanger airbag light??

Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Pioneer Avic D1

The Pioneer Avic D1 will fit in your Ford. The radio that came in your truck IS a Double Din and you do not have to remove the Passanger Air bag Light. Just slide the factory radio out and put in the new one.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 PM
MM,
Are you sure? The folks I talked to were pretty sure it wouldn't fit. Also, Crutchfield's web site says it won't fit...this was why I bothered to call my installer.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Yes, I am sure . I spoke with a guy named Amos at crutchfield today and he assured me that it would fit. At the time crutchfield listed the Avic D1 they were not sure of the dimensions of the new F-150's so to be on the safe side they said it would not fit. If you call them they will tell you it will fit with no problems. I just ordered mine today.

Last edited by MickeyMack; 05-10-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...