Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exactly. What I'm thinking, is that there has to be a wire that can be disconnected to allow it to work and then reconnect to have whatever feature work. Follow me? I don't have one yet, so I don't really know what needs to be down, but I'm sure just throwing a toggle switch on maybe the speed pulse wire, will trick it so it doesn't think the vehicle is moving. Flip the switch to watch a movie, and clip the switch back to use the nav.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I'm not buying one until I can verify that;

1) I can view a rear-view camera while driving and
2) DVD's can be rigged to play (with a DVD player of course) while in motion.

I will post if I can find any of this out. Hopefully others will as well.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:00 PM
1. Is answered on their web site.

Rear View Camera Capability
Keep an eye on your backside using the optional Rear View Camera (ND-BC1). Two rear-view modes are offered: while you’re in reverse the rear-view camera can be in full screen. Or while moving forward, you can also see what’s behind you with the rear-view split screen, which displays both the navigation map and the rear-view camera image.
Yanked from http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...219118,00.html

Old 05-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I was under the impression that the D1 has the video just not the navigation capability?

Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Nope, the D1 can only do video via it's inputs from an external DVD player/changer. The DVD drive it has is DVD-ROM ONLY! Check out Pioneer's website for all the gory details. It's marketed as a navigation unit, not a full blown multimedia HU.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lariat4xSCrew
I'm not buying one until I can verify that;

1) I can view a rear-view camera while driving and
2) DVD's can be rigged to play (with a DVD player of course) while in motion.

I will post if I can find any of this out. Hopefully others will as well.

I have just had one put in my 05 Expedition and the installer has it rigged so that I can watch movies while i'm driving. If you select AV on the HU a screen will pop up that says stop the vihicle, press the emergency brake, release the emergency brake and then press the emergency brake then hit OK on the screen. After you hit OK you can release the parking brake and have the movie on the screen. You will still need an seperate DVD player because the D1 will not play movies.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:19 AM
Bottom line...what you all are saying is that the AVIC D1 can play movies on its screen with a separate DVD player hooked up to it? If this is the case--I must have one......

Old 05-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by rhyno1
Bottom line...what you all are saying is that the AVIC D1 can play movies on its screen with a separate DVD player hooked up to it? If this is the case--I must have one......

Yes, that is correct.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:08 PM
coming late to this thread, but I just installed the d1 in my 04 lariat screw. Indeed, the rear view camera will work while you are moving. You can hook the Dvd feed into that input, but you would have no audio. Also, the map shows up on the left and blanks out about 25% of the screen when you are moving forward. Unless you want to drive around in reverse (or short out that wire all thie time, which will confuse your positioning and then you will still not have audio). The only work around to watch dvds, via an external player, is the workaround that is mentioned earlier by dragonkeeper.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Pics of my AVIC-D1 and Motorola Bluetooth

For those that are interested, I just posted pics of my installed AVIC-D1 and the Motorola Bluetooth unit.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=6044

Chris

Old 06-21-2005, 12:46 AM
dang that looks so sickk i want one...

Old 06-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the info on this. Great thread. This has convinced me to go with the D1 myself.

Question on BlueTooth - is the only advantage that it mutes your stereo when you get a call? Do you get any call info on the screen, caller's voice through the stereo speakers, anything else?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Yes, all that the Motorola Bluetooth device does to the stereo is mute it. This certainly is a significant feature, but I wish that it integrated with the stereo with more functionality (ie number, name, duration, etc.). The sound is routed through a separate speaker; but I believe that during installation it can be configured to go through the stereo.

Chris

Old 06-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Thanks.

Another pesky question: Since you have both the nav and XM, and both require sat antennas - do you have two antennas or are they combined into one? If one, how does it compare in size to a normal XM antenna? Where did you mount it/them?

Old 06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
There are two very small antennas; much smaller than antennas I have previously seen. They are mounted side-by-side on the roof just in front of the rear light.

Chris

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...