Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MM,
You rock. My installer must be on crack. So much for the best guy in the state...wait...I'm in Nebraska. What should I expect?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 PM
hey mickey tell me how the instalation goes. im also thinkin about gettin one but i wanta see some pics or if there are any problems. thanx

Old 05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Mickey; Ditto on that. Let us know how the install goes.

Old 05-13-2005, 05:40 AM
Well I finally got the Avic D1 in yesterday and had it installed in less than 30 mins. There was no problems at all. The best thing was I ordered it from Crutchfield and it came with everything you need. I was able to seat at the table and connect all of my wires except for the speed control then it was just pulling out the stock player and sliding the new one in. When I get some time I will take some pictures and post them. Oh, the Avic D1 is out of this world.

Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Install of AVIC-D1 complete!

I agree, the AVIC-D1 is pretty awesome. My install was completed yesterday.

I ordered the D1 from JJI Electronics on the weekend; received it yesterday. Price was $1,250 with no taxes. I paid Circuit City $200 to install the D1, plus the XM NavTraffic unit, plus the Motorola Bluetooth kit. They had it all done within 3 hours and experienced no problems. The unit fits perfect and looks as factory as can be. Even with paying for the install, the total of $1,450 was well below the $1,599 (plus $130 in taxes) my local retailers wanted.

I'm still playing with everything and learning how to use it...but so far it really kicks but. I really like that the Bluetooth kit automatically mutes the stereo.

The rear-view camera is next...as soon as I can afford it!

Chris

Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM
Sweet!! man who's got pics of the finished install?! I'm soooo jealous!

Old 05-13-2005, 11:32 AM
Does the Bluetooth kit come with the head unit, or was that a seperate install / purchase?

Old 05-13-2005, 12:12 PM
cwilley;

Does that $1250 from JJI Electronics (ebay?) include the XM NAV Traffic box and antennas and bluetooth or is that extra? Did you get those at JJI Electronics also? Did you install a video player yet and where?
Thanks.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:50 PM
The $1,250 was only for the Pioneer AVIC-D1. You will find that most places are charging $1,599 (usually plus tax too). The XM NavTraffic unit was $250 and the Motorola Bluetooth was a separate unit that I picked up new on eBay for $125. No video player installed yet.

You can visit JJI Electronics at www.jjielectronics.com. I was really pleased with them. Fast, efficient, and great pricing. I think I found them through comparison shopping on froogle.com.

Last edited by cwilley; 05-13-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I was just checking out the DV unit. So if you install this, there are two slots in the head unit, one for cd's and one for the map dvd's. Now how do you play regular video dvd's? Is this where you would need to install a seperate dvd player? Or does the map dvd slot also double as the dvd player?

Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM
crud - you need a seperate DVD player as the slot in the HU is DVD-ROM only. No video! On the bright side, you can get a DVD changer and control it from the HU and never need to worry about flipping discs again!

Old 05-17-2005, 01:02 PM
no, the guy at the local shop I was just at, was telling me how the AVIC-D1 cannot play movies while driving. Because of the way the navigation ties into the headunit. No way to cheat it, yet right on the home page it show a picture of the rear view camera being viewed while in motion. Is there some way to make it play movies while driving?

I don't neccesarily need the headunit's screen to display the movie, but it would be nice to see it on the other screens.

I was thinking that it's probably possible to put a toggle switch on the speed sense wire for the Navi hookup. This way you disconnect the wire, unit doesn't know you are in motion and you could watch a movie, when you want the Navi to work, flick the switch back.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 PM
The D1 can't play ANY movies by itself, in motion or at a stop it's not capable of playing movies... Is he saying even with an external DVD player the unit will refuse to play/control it while in motion? I think he's on crack.

The unit itself has a built-in nav/rear camera mode to monitor the toys your towing.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM
exactly what he was saying, while in motion it wouldn't let you view a movie. Actually his exact words were "anything over 5 mile per hour....." And it was because of how tied into the vehicle it is with that monitoring stuff it has in it. And he did keep referring to the need for an external DVD player. Which I might add, has a perfect place to call home, right behing the ash tray door.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Interesting... the manual states:

Parking brake interlock
Certain functions (viewing visual image and certain
touch panel keys) offered by this Navigation
System could be dangerous and/or unlawful if
used while driving. To prevent such functions
from being used while the vehicle is in motion,
there is an interlock system that senses when the
parking brake is set and when the vehicle is moving.
If you attempt to use the functions described
above while driving, they will become disabled
until you stop the vehicle in a safe place, and (1)
apply the parking brake, (2) release the parking
brake, and then (3) apply the parking brake again.
Please keep the brake pedal pushed down before
releasing the parking brake.
Those bastards! It even says it for the aux input... there has got to be away around it...

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1 questions...