New Eclipse Avn5435

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had the 5435 installed on Monday. Yes , the unit can be muted. I have the Motorola Blue Tooth car kit installed, and the 5435 automatically mutes when a call initiates. The phone now only uses the drivers side speaker rather than all of them, but that is a minor consideration as it is still very easily heard.

The 5435 replaced the factory audiophile HU, and uses the factory subwoofer. The gain on the sub output is much higher than the factory unit, so it was necessary to use the 5435's equalizer to integrate the bass frequency response. There is also a loudness function, although I ve not tried to play with it yet.

This is a very cool unit although I am somewhat disappointed in the Nav function. It has told me to turn the wrong way on one way streets, and usually does not give the best route in my town. From my very limited experience, I think it operates better on the Interstates.

edit: I also had the backup camera intalled by drilling a hole in the middle of my license plate, and mouted to the back of the license directly above the trailer hitch. This makes lining up the hitch a snap.

Last edited by horseman; 04-20-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the excellent info Horseman. I will also be changing over to the Motorola Bluetooth system from the Ford Mobile Ease, since the Motorola is easier to hook up to aftermarket stuff. I guess you had a decision to either use the external motorola speaker or the door speaker? Probably not much difference either way..

The rear camera placement sounds like an excellent idea. Do you have pics of stereo, bluetooth, and camera install?

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 04-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Man I need some pics!!! And where are you guys purchasing the unit from?

Originally posted by mikebaby
Where did you bury the nav drive?

mikebaby
It's built into the HU. Go Blue!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm holding out for the 5495, which isn't out yet. Based on what I've read, it's hard to purchase anywhere but a local dealer, due to warranty issues. Eclipse keeps tight reigns on their products.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dzervit
It's built into the HU.
Not on the Kenwood it isn't.

Originally posted by dzervit
Go Blue!
Your boys in blue seem to have trouble with the silver bullets as of late. GO BUCKS!

Old 04-20-2005, 02:32 PM
The dealer I bought the HU from installed it, so I don't have pics of the installation. I will try to take some of the unit, the license plate and how it is mounted.

I did not get much of a deal, as it was $2300 intalled. I simply don't have the time right now to attempt the installation myself.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by mikebaby
Not on the Kenwood it isn't.

Your boys in blue seem to have trouble with the silver bullets as of late. GO BUCKS!
One of these days I'll learn to read the post above...

When does football season start?!

Old 04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
pictures

Ok guys, I'm not much of a photographer but I have started a gallery with some quick pictures. Some of these are not very good, particularly when I tried to take pictures of the nightime view during the day.

Rockpick, please don't look at how dirty the truck is...:o

I could not get a good picture of the backup camera view without glare. You can see the top of the hitch ball at the very bottom of the camera view.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=8336

Last edited by horseman; 04-20-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:31 PM
It states on eclipse website that the Nav is the Default

It states that after you use (ie: FM/CD) that it automatically changes back to the Nav screen. My question is can you keep it from changing back to the Nav screen?
Another ? When your listening to Sirus does it show all the information on the display?

Old 04-21-2005, 07:36 AM
It only switches back to Nav view automatically if that is the screen you were on when changing channels or tracks. For instance it is possible to leave it on the screen showing your preset FM stations so that they can be easily changed.

I did not install Sirious yet, but it is my understanding that all information is displayed on the screen.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the information

Im looking forward to getting it installed. Im just worried that the installer will not make the surrounding faceplate look factory.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:30 AM
My HU does stick out about 1/4" more than I would like it to. My installer said that it was necessary both to give clearance to the screen tilt/open function, and to avoid a gap betwween the dash and the Hu when the screen was in open position. I wish it looked more factory, but it doen't look too bad, in my opinion.

I also think the old model, which was completely black, probably would look more integrated into the dash than this model with its sliver trim pieces.

Last edited by horseman; 04-21-2005 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the pics! I think it looks great. Since all of the Eclipse pics are head on, it's hard to see that it sticks out from the dash. Could you take an angle shot from the drivers seat?

Old 04-21-2005, 05:47 PM
more pics

I have added pics which show how the HU sticks out, and I also managed to get a decent camera view pic. In a perfect world the unit wouldn't stick out, but it's really not that big of deal to me.

I did just notice today that when Bluetooth is activated the Unit does NOT mute, but actually turns off, and then automatically turns back on when the call is completed. This is a pain in the *** for several reasons, including having to press "ok" on the disclaimer screen each time a call is completed, and not being able to see the map while on a call. I am not happy about this, and called my installer, who stated that this was the only way to mute the unit for a call. He did call Eclipse to confirm this. I am trying to decide if I want this function as it would be almost as easy to just manually hit the mute button when a call comes in.

edit: My installer just called, and told me that he can have the Blootooth unit bypass the HU output to the front speakers so that when the phone rings, the Blootooth takes over the front speakers and music/nav will continue through the back speakers until I manually hit the mute button. I think this will be a better solution, but will not be able to have him do this for about 10 days due to my schedule.

Last edited by horseman; 04-21-2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the additional pics. That's not good news on the mute situation. Why do they have a mute button on the unit but no way to mute it externally??? You said earlier that it cannot be flush with the dash. When you open the unit to put a cd in, where would the faceplate hit the dash if it was flush? Do you think it would hit against the dash if it was flush? I wonder if the Kenwood unit sticks out... Also, how does the trim piece look with the rest of the black plastic surfaces? Does it look different than factory? You've been a big help. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: New Eclipse Avn5435