Midwest CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, SD, UT, WI, WY

2005 F150 caught on fire!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F150 caught on fire!

My husband's "Check Engine" light came on Friday AM. He checked under the hood and body of the truck for loose wires or leaks to no avail. Within 10 minutes of getting back on the interstate, the truck slowed from 60mph to 40 and smoke starting filling the cab from underneath the dash.

By the time, he got off the shoulder of the road and exited the cab, it was in engulfed in flames! Luckily he escape unharmed but the entire engine and cab interior are gone. Only steel and wires remain!

Anybody ever heard of this in the 2005 F150 XL model?

Anybody know where we can get a 2004, 2005 or 2006 replacement F150 with low miles, 4x4 on the fly, extended cab, towing pkg and power windows/locks in Indianapolis area? Must have EIGHT foot bed.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Suspended
Really? any mods down to the truck, fog lights, stereo equipment, ect? You can get into trouble if you run wires into the fuse box with out fuses, but if the truck lit up as is, than I would not want anothier F-150, your insurance will pay - minus your deductable.

Old 05-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
but if the truck lit up as is, than I would not want anothier F-150,
That's an awfully broad statement, why don't I just say I don't want an individual make of vehicle because one had a flat tire and it caused a wreck, or we should never buy that brand of tire again?

OMG - I once saw a Dodge Ram burn up in a fire, maybe nobody should buy them either, or maybe it was just an isolated case and not a problem with the entire marque.

Maybe we should have more information before we write off the entire production run.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
Really? any mods down to the truck, fog lights, stereo equipment, ect? You can get into trouble if you run wires into the fuse box with out fuses, but if the truck lit up as is, than I would not want anothier F-150, your insurance will pay - minus your deductable.
- Camper shell, car stater, mud flaps, vent visors and running boards after we purchased it in August of LAST year...

Old 05-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by kittycathykay
- Camper shell, car stater, mud flaps, vent visors and running boards after we purchased it in August of LAST year...
Get the insurance money and go get a new truck.The prices are better now and you should do allright.Don't buy used unless you know the previous owner!

Old 05-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by TSDan
Get the insurance money and go get a new truck.The prices are better now and you should do allright.Don't buy used unless you know the previous owner!
Yeah, who wants an '04 or '05 that you get for a nice price, only to find out later it came from Louisiana, and had the title "washed" as well.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Suspended
I presume you meant "Car staRter" ? If so that very well could have done it... that taps into main ingition wires and the like and could very well cause an electrical fire.

I heard 90% of car fires on newer vehicles are caused from bad wiring with atfermarket accessories...not sure how accurate it is, but I wouldn't say that is far from the truth!

Old 05-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I heard 90% of car fires on newer vehicles are caused from bad wiring with atfermarket accessories...

- You guys were right about skipping the used trks. We paid $29,900 for the 05 that burnt up and it was the basic XL "work truck". We've found a XLT that has all the after mkt stuff we'd want (except for the camper shell and car staRter) for $28,600! Just waiting on State Farm to hand us a check. Don't know if they'll be able to tell how the fire started since the damage is so bad (I'd send pics thru outlook, but it's a huge file and not quite sure if/how to do it here). Don't know if they'll go after Ford Motor or Extreme Vehicle Design where we had the after mkts things added. We don't really care at this point. We just want our check so we can get the one and only trk we can find that matches our criteria. Ya know? Sorry so lengthy but could use some more advise from you experienced guys... I've printed out Retail Values from KBB and NADA to show State Farm how much our old trk is worth but am told by friends and relatives, I'll also need to show them a sales invoice from a local dealer. The problem is... I can't a trk that matches our old one (2005-F150-XL-work trk-towing pkg-4X4-extended cab-153" WB) for sale ANYWHERE! I've looked on carmax, wheels and deals, all the local ford and non-ford dealership inventories. My cousin said she found a trk similar to her daughter's for sale in another state and State Farm wrote her a check for that amt (that was higher than KBB & NADA's Retail Value)! Any suggestions where I could find and provide proof of what it would cost us to replace the same old trk (even though we're upgrading)?

Old 05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
Go build one at www.fordvehicles.com and print the summary.

Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Go build one at www.fordvehicles.com and print the summary.
I will but I need one for a 2005 (not 2006)...

Old 05-24-2006, 10:23 AM
I will but I need one for a 2005 (not 2006)...
You can STILL "build your own" 2005 (at least on paper) at the Ford website!

Old 05-25-2006, 07:38 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Patrick@hmsga
That's an awfully broad statement, why don't I just say I don't want an individual make of vehicle because one had a flat tire and it caused a wreck, or we should never buy that brand of tire again?

OMG - I once saw a Dodge Ram burn up in a fire, maybe nobody should buy them either, or maybe it was just an isolated case and not a problem with the entire marque.

Maybe we should have more information before we write off the entire production run.

I hate Ford, how ever in the orginal post I asked if any aftermarket acess were added, if improperly installed, that could be the cause of the fire and that is not Fords fault.

If it was a querk or a bad fuse or ground from the Ford factery, By all means by one more F-150. A flat tire and a truck fire caused by poor instalation of aftermarket acess or manufacters defect don't compare.

I agree more information needs to be presented and in the 97 to 04 (H) have had issues with cruse control switchs causeing fires and the 04+ F-150 have redesigned Cruse control switchs.

So far the 04 F-150 is hanging on... Hanging is the key word...

Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Lets see, Dodges never catch fire. Oops, well sometimes.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...uck_fires.html

Sled...

Quick Reply: 2005 F150 caught on fire!