Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA

Tidewater VA

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruffn-it
Going down there with a couple jeeps. One of the guys goes down there a bit, he's in a jeep club. I've only been out there once just looking around, but its a 4x4 community out there when you go up and over the dune to the community. Suposedly theres a bunch of dirt/sand roads and trails. But hey, il take what I can get since theres not much around here to begin with.
I was just curious how much actual driving you guys are planning on doing. Reason I ask is this......when we go to Hatteras every year, the sand is REALLY soft. It's not that bad to drive on, but all we really do is drive from the access out to our "chill spot" then set up camp for the day.....games, swimming, beer, etc. In short, what I'm getting at is I don't normally "go all out" and go crazy driving through sand. The one time I got the littlest bit crazy, I got sand in every nook and cranny possible on my truck. I did NOT like that...doesn't feel healthy. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable out there rooting around and throwing sand everywhere, but that's just me. I'm a little timid in that department when it comes to my truck.....I've heard horror stories so I usually take it pretty easy when on sand.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM
But you only live once and you cant take it with you when you do die so why not have a little fun and just come out with some of the other forum guys?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM

^ agreed. But at the same time I understand. I dont want to do anything to mess up my ride, but I bought my truck to use and have a good time. I'm not going to do anything I think may damage it, but I'm not afraid to get it get it real dirty. I will probably spend a couple hours after power washing under the truck, and I might spray my fender wheels and stuff with WD40 to help stuff from sticking. I know its like 13 miles of straight beach driving to get to the area. After that they are pretty much roads, some probably have water pits and ruts and stuff, but some may be big enough to go around if you want too. But just to check since I've really been there once and it wasn't that in depth, I'm checking with the guy who had ben out there alot. But either way, just diving the beach to get there will put some sand up under your truck.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM

Or, one of us can pick you up before we go. I got a buddy with a 09 cheby (that I yanked out of the sand last time I was down there) who might ride with me. He dosnt want to pay the gas there and back, but also dosn't want to mess up his truck.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM

So his reply is any standard 4x4 should be fine. And its just sand dunes and mud pits, And he said if its that bad you can just go around.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Wish I could go! I have work...Sounds like it will be a blast!

Last edited by formuladriver01; 12-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah I most likely have work too but was just curious how crazy you guys get. Down in Avon where we go every year, the ruts are as deep as a couple of feet. The sand is SO soft you're usually dragging your transfer case in it. Stuff gets EVERYWHERE. I actually don't mind it and have fun with it, but I do spend quite a bit of time washing and spraying down afterwards. I'm not scared to use the truck....but on sand, you're definitely not gonna see me pushing full throttle, spinning wheels, doing doughnuts, etc. I have buddies who have spent BIG $$$ making associated repairs and now know better than to act a fool out there. Probably can't make this one boys but I'm definitely down for one when time permits.

Last edited by bigsur; 12-14-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Well if ya want i got an open spot riding shotgun. im gonna be driving my 2 wheel drive hoping for the best. but im not to worried about it. ruffin-it if yall will have me along ill have to get your contact info later on. but sand is no good no matter what your doing on it.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM

I will pm you fraige. Having a 2wd will definitely make it interesting, but bring it on. I had my 01 screw 2wd (with a 5in suspension lift and 33x12.50 terra grapplers) out there years ago and was stuck within 2mins...pulled out and got stuck within another two, finally we said screw it and parked it. But in my defense that was the first time ever being on sand and the sand was real soft and I didnt air down at all. Going over the dunes may be an issue though.

I'm hoping to have a small pancake compressor with me as long as I can figure out this pure sine wave inverter thing to run it. That way we can air down and back up when we leave. I had a cheepo tire inflator that would take way to long.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 12-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow Fraige...going commando with 2wd, huh? Good luck bud. If it's anything like Avon or Hatteras, you'll be stuck in no time..... Anybody I've ever seen roll out there in 2wd was stuck almost instantly. Best advice I can give....like Ruffn-It said.....air down your tires. I'd go to about 15 psi if I were you. You never know....you might roll right through it.....depends on how soft the sand is, as well as your setup.

Last edited by bigsur; 12-15-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Carova

This looks like a lot of fun, I will be out of town on the 28th in the opposite direction (MA), but you all should go and RELAX.

I have been to Carova twice with my '09. The first time was stock and the second time was after the lift and 35s. I went in the summer time when the sand is softer (the colder the weather the harder the sand) and had no problems either time. I prefer to drive in the softer sand because its not as bumpy and I would never drive on the wet sand because then you are getting salt water in everywhere. I actually didn't even air down either time. (I did intitally when stock, but it got annoying going on and off the sand and filling back up so I just left them aired up and never got stuck)

The last time I went, I went near Katie's dune or whatever its called (you're not allowed to drive on the dune, but there are trails behind it that are legal -they only let the rental Jeeps on the dune itself, which is obnoxious) about half way up the 4x4 beaches before Carova. I had to drop it into 4LOW and 2nd gear to power up some of the steep very soft sand hills. 4 wheel rooster tails, it was great fun.

Also, each time I went, I had a bow wave come over the hood of the truck and smack the windshield while driving through the water on the back trails. Be really careful when driving through, sometimes the sides are real shallow but the middle can be 7 or 8 feet deep. I was walking through the water before driving. Drive slow through, don't plow through or you can be in a world of hurt. If you have a CAI you may want to avoid the deep water alltoegether. The stock "snorkel" placement of the intake in the fender prevents water from getting in easy.

My real point is for all your conservatives (regarding your trucks), I have done all what I described and have had my truck on trails through the woods and covered in mud. My '09 is tough as nails and I have had no problems from the off-roading. Have fun with your trucks and enjoy them. You want a pavement queen buy an Escalade

Old 12-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Agree but regarding your last statement, realize that you are only one case and others have not been so lucky. It's not bad to take caution and protect your investment, especially if it's not paid for and it's a daily driver. I have had my truck off road MANY times but I'm always very careful. I have close friends that have done so much damage on sand that they'll never go back....and we're not just talking a little sand up the butt....we're talking thousands of dollars in damage. BUT, it's probably b/c they were acting foolish and overdoing it...so their own stupid fault so to speak. All in all I agree with you though. Take caution but have fun; we don't have 4wd trucks for nothing.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeah that's all I'm saying. A little common sense goes a long way, but doesn't mean you can't have fun. I know that there are places that grains of sand can grind parts down pretty quickly. It's just not a given. Driving anywhere is a risk, might as well enjoy the ride. If you all go down, take some pics. I'll be jealous, but they will be good to see. Not really any places to go up here in Maryland...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Well ill be sure to bring my camera so everybody can see me when I get "stuck". I got faith in my girl, if she was a stock 2wd I wouldn't even consider this one but gotta find the limits of the truck without breaking it for sure. But looking forward to the trip regardless.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 PM

Il be taking tons of pictures, and videos...then we can exchange them (its always hard to get a pic/vid of yourself doing theses things..lol). And 09fx4inMD, the picture in my sig is from in deep creek MD by the Wisp resort. Check out my profile, I've got a bunch of pics driving through some really deep snow up there. I'm going back up there end of feb for the deep creek dunk, we do it every year.

Fraige, I got faith in ya too...not getting over the dunes, but still got faith. I've got a pic somewhere around here with me stuck out on corolla in my 01 2wd, 100yds from the entrance, il see if I can find it later and post. (reminds me, need to throw some recovery stuff in my truck).

Bigsur, you should try to take off, we can make fun of fraige together when he gets stuck,. might need another ford to help me pull him out, not sure if those jeeps would be of much help...lol.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 12-15-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Tidewater VA