Lightning

Lightning speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They must have changed the speakers in 01 because I just got done putting a system in mine, was going to put my MB Quart Q's (Very expensive reference quality speakers) in the doors but due to time constraints I hooked up the factory speakers to the amp in my head unit (Alpine CVA-1000) It only puts out like 40watts a channel but i'll be damned if those speakers dont sound incredible! I am pretty sure at this point I will be leaving the factory speakers in the doors and using my 4channel Phoenix Gold amp in 2 channel bridged mode to only power the subs, thats how good the factory speakers sound with a little power!

The problem is without a doubt the lack of power though...give them speakers a little juice and they really wake up.

Old 09-16-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by andrewjhaley
I have the stock speakers still in the front doors running for highs with replacement, I used to have 160 watts rms to each speaker, now only have 115 to each, but no one can tell, its all about the source of the sound, my actual deck has no built in power, its a very high quality head unit. People often ask what I am running in the doors, they question to believe me when i say stock. Bottom line change the source: Stereo... but if you chose not to, speakers will also help.
when did ford start putting in the mach 1000 in Ls???

last time i checked stock speakers = tissue paper cones with a refrigerator magnet pumping them. i'd say get some kickpanels up front, ditch the rears, and replace with sub(s). you'll definitely be happy with that set up.

but of course, this is coming from a guy who doesn't even listen to his stereo at ALL anymore when in the L. for me, it's just windows down and the symphony of the m112

Old 09-16-2002, 02:25 AM
two things to say,,, the mach system they put in mustangs is way underpowered and over hyped. Second off, there are 4 5x7 speakers stock,, not 6x8. Also if you get new speakers you will either need an amp to power them or a new head unit to power them for a better snr as well. The reason for this is cause the stock head unit also sucks. There is no way at all whatsoever it can produce enough rms power to satisfy a good aftermarket speaker. Distortion is most often caused by a lack of power to the speakers,, not an excess ( in other words,, cranking the volume without enough power to the speakers to compensate.) There are tons of ways to get better sound in the L's, but my advice is to learn up on audio systems and figure out what will work for you.

~Toast

Old 09-16-2002, 03:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To respond to an earlier question, yes, 6x9s fit. I have Memphis PR93s in the doors of my L, but I am about to replace them with Focal Utopia 165Ws. The rear speakers will come out soon and I will put the crossovers for the components in those locations. I'll let everyone know how the speakers work out.

-Kimball

Old 09-16-2002, 08:16 AM
I put Focals

Originally posted by zbornac
To respond to an earlier question, yes, 6x9s fit. I have Memphis PR93s in the doors of my L, but I am about to replace them with Focal Utopia 165Ws. The rear speakers will come out soon and I will put the crossovers for the components in those locations. I'll let everyone know how the speakers work out.

-Kimball
in the doors of mine and recycled the Alpine amp I had in my Mustang.. Then recycled the MBQuarts into the rear.. dynamatted the doors, then replaced the head unit with a Mach MP3 unit from Ford and boy what a difference.. the MP3 is so that I can put 100+ songs on a disc plus still have my changer is reserve..
am ready to go now...
Dana

Quick Reply: Lightning speakers