Lightning

Rear Speakers and stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Speakers and stock radio

OK, todays mission was to change all 4 spks and add an amp to the stock head unit.
I got both front spks done in about 30 minutes.
How do you:
1) get to the rear spks; I have all the plastic "pop Caps" out and can't get the pannel to move. Do I have to unbolt the rear storage box?

2) What is the best/safest way to get the factory system pulled out to get to the wiring ???
Thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2002, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a tool for the head, and the speakers
I don't know about since I only replaced my front ones so far ...

Sorry can't help any more ... I know the head is "side" mounted

Old 06-28-2002, 03:45 PM
I got my radio removal tool at the local Schuck's auto supply, looks like 2 u-shaped things with little barb/bulges on the tip of them.

First, you remove the trim plate, by turning those air vents near the radio inward as far as they go and then grabbing the area exposed by moving the vent and pulling straight out. (watch out for the airbag switch cable, and make sure that if you unplug the airbag switch, that you reconnect it BEFORE you turn on the ignition, otherwise it will throw a hard code to the SRS-ECM as it did with me, which required a trip to the dealer as I didn't have a good enough NGS tool to reset it. :-D

After trim removal, You simply insert the U devices in the holes on your deck, and push slightly inward, then pull the whole deck out. You will find a standard antenna cable and 2 wiring harnesses (one for speaks/power, etc; and one for CD Changer). Just press the clips and remove the harnesses from the back of the head unit.

I would recommend a wiring harness kit from your local car audio store... hate hacking into the factory harness-- byebye resale value :-)

Hope this helps a bit with the head unit, sorry I don't know much about the rears... have 1 blown one back there so I just hooked my subs up and killed the rears until I get a chance to replace 'em.

~VyPeR

Old 06-28-2002, 03:48 PM
SOrry, you push slightly OUTWARD on those u-shaped things, which squeezes the release latches on each side. Oh yea and you will also need a dash kit to get a standard deck to fit.

~VyPeR

Old 06-28-2002, 03:57 PM
Talking THKS

Thanks !!!
I am keeping the factory head unit, just need to get to the plug and wires behing it.
Just adding a 4 channel amp (150X4) and 4 Polk audio 6X8's.
Looks like I will have to go buy a DIN tool now.

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers and stock radio