Lightning

Warranty on Engine Denied

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 03:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warranty on Engine Denied

Guys,
Took out a cylinder in my "99" Lightning a while back and went
in to closer dealer (Hines Park in New Hudson, Mi) to have it checked out cause my 2nd I/C was leaking much worse than first
one the selling dealer changed. I believe that leak caused the
problem cause my O2's were never changed when first I/C was
replaced. Service Manager reported to Ford that I had aftermarket performance parts on the truck. (Superchip flip, full
Bassani exhaust and PSP intake filter.) The area Rep called me
and said that warranty claim would be denied beacuse of these
parts. Then the Field Service Engineer looked at the truck and
called me too! He said the chip cause the lean out on that hole,
and also said the claim would be denied for that reason. Soooo,
looks like I will go to war to try to have them replace the engine,
but that will take some time to work it out.
What I would like to know is what might be the best Dealer
around Metro Detroit to have this engine replaced at a reason-
able cost? Where could I order a complete engine? Need input
to get my "L" well again. Then go after Ford to cover my expence.
Will appreciate all suggestions on this!!!
Robert B. Chuhran
No 1 WFC 4

Old 09-03-2001, 04:30 AM
Unhappy Bummer

Robert,

Sounds like you got the shaft from Ford. Its not too uncommon.

I know that karkraft.com sells the L engines for $5,695.00. I don't know if that is cheap for you but its a lead on one.

Well, I hope you get your situation resolved!!

Old 09-03-2001, 08:11 AM
Sorry they denied you coverage. Did you have the chip and filter installed on the truck when you took it in?

Old 09-03-2001, 08:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a blue oval shaft job, could maybe, Superchips go to bat for you? Like putting the chip they sold to you on another Lightning and plotting the fuel curves to show that the chip didn't lean the truck out? Good Luck in your fight. Bruce

Old 09-03-2001, 09:21 AM
PFA
This goes to show you that you should always remove your chipnfilter whenever you go to the dealer for service, and any other parts that they may use against you.

Sorry Robert for the problem with Ford. That's just an easy way out for them. They have no proof that the Superchip did it. I would try and put a call into SVT about it, it's worth a try.

Old 09-03-2001, 09:50 AM
What it proves is that you should NEVER go into a dealership unliess you know before hand what their approach is to mods. It's too late now to go somewhere else. Your vin is in fords master computer and you are going to be red flagged whereever you go.

Also they complied with the Moss Magnasin (sp?) act by asserting it was your mods that caused the damage. Now you must prove, either to their satisfaction or in court, that your mods did not cause the damage. Hope you have a lot of money to fight ford in Court. Should take about five years if you are lucky. Ford lives in court. Good luck you'll need it.

NEVER GO INTO A DEALERSHIP WITH MODS UNLESS YOU KNOW THE DEALERSHIP IS NOT GOING TO SCREW YOU. ONCE THEY DO AND REPORT YOUR VIN # IT'S TOO LATE!
noelvm

Old 09-03-2001, 10:37 AM
If it comes down to taking legal action you may want to file with a small claims court. Not sure about Michigan Law, but in many states the small claims are capped at $5,000. To make a long story short small claims courts are an equalizer. For a small filing fee you present your case directly to a judge. Come prepared with facts, statements, dates, data, pictures and so on. You do not need an attorney but you might get some advice from one. The other side will come prepared with a attorney (if its a large company. but don't be intimidated)...the mind set of this type of court is in favor of public making a simplified claim and receiving a ruling on the same day. I have have filed twice (I'm not a attorney) in the state of Texas both for faliure of companies to deliver services as advertised and won in both cases against companies that had a legal representation. But to win I had to really do my homework and have information that clearly backed up my calim. I would say that you do have an opportunity to provide information on a claim that would support that your mods did not directly result in engine failure.

We are all interested in the outcome. First off to hear that your back on the street with your "L" and second the mods versus warranty issue and the stance taken by the manufacturer. That is on minds of most "L" owners.

I have to admit though (I do work for Ford or in the automotive field) that at some point car manuafactures may come down hard on mods. The Blue Oval boys are hurting stock wise (which means hard pressure from investors) and warranty claims have been on the rise (Fierstone issue etc)...so you may have a real fight on your hands.

Take care, Snake50.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2001, 10:57 AM
LEAN

What is your Air-Fuel Ratio?? Maybe it was the problem. But as recommended...pull that CHIP

Old 09-03-2001, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure about the US, but in Canada it would be up to Ford to prove the chip caused the failure, not up to yopu to prove it didn't. If Ford couldn't prove beyond all doubt that the chip caused the damage the Judge would make them honor the warranty.

I would have pulled the chip before I brought it in though, then they couldn't prove anything.

Old 09-03-2001, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as i can see, they never PROVED anything. They must PROVE that the engine damage was a RESULT of the chip. They never did. They just SAID that it was. Time to talk to Superchips and let them know what they're saying and have them hash it out with the dealer.

Old 09-03-2001, 04:29 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by Frank S
As far as i can see, they never PROVED anything. They must PROVE that the engine damage was a RESULT of the chip. They never did. They just SAID that it was. Time to talk to Superchips and let them know what they're saying and have them hash it out with the dealer.
Superchips isn't going to hash it out for him. It's up to him to do that. They may provide him with important documentation to help with his case, though. Here, Robert (and all others as well), please read my previous posts w/in these two links below. This should help you in your endeavors and give you some ammunition to fight this.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=warranty

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=33452

I'm not downing you, but can you prove that adding that chip in didn't increase the performance of this motor and alter the characteristics of its performance which in turned helped to destroy the cylinder? You'll need to prove that this would have happened bone stock w/out the chip. Your O2 sensors may be fine and they can be tested to see.

There should be PLENTY of ammunition to use on this board. Hopefully the search function is totally updated now. Remember to use the fact that Ford has issued TSB's on the intercooler.

BfB

Old 09-03-2001, 04:53 PM
Sorry to hear it Robert. Which cylinder is it?

Old 09-03-2001, 05:06 PM
Robert,

That sux. I know how you feel. I went through the same thing with my last car.

Talk about bad luck... I had the transmission replaced once and then repaired under warranty on my Cobra at two different dealerships. I had lots of bolt-ons (no chip), including line-locks, rubber all in the fender wells, lots of racing evidence, but nothing was said about it. Then I brought it in just to get the alternator replaced under warranty and a Ford Rep was there. SHE took one look under my hood and voided my warranty right there on the spot. I only had about 1000 miles on the original warranty, and I was going to trade it in in a few months so I didn't persue it.

Old 09-03-2001, 05:17 PM
BfB,

The point is he doesn't have to prove anything.
According to Canadian warranty law(I'm not sure about US law) Ford would have to prove beyond any doubt that the chip caused the engine failure to void his warranty. The laws are very strict here about auto warranty. These things rarely goto court once a lawyer is involved, because the Auto maker almost never wins. Ford is just banking that the average Joe doesn't know this.

I went through this with GM on a 96 TA, as soon as my attourney became involved they were fixing the car the next day. It is almost impossible for them to void the warranty, they pull this crap because most people don't contact a good attourney, they just accept it. The laws protect the little man is case.

Old 09-03-2001, 05:34 PM
BfB
Banned For Rules Violations
Originally posted by 2002Lightning
BfB,

The point is he doesn't have to prove anything.
According to Canadian warranty law(I'm not sure about US law) Ford would have to prove beyond any doubt that the chip caused the engine failure to void his warranty.
He's NOT from Canada. He's in Michigan. Even so, sure he doesn't have to prove anything...NOT! Regardless of what the law states, if Ford gives their case to a judge and shows how it could have caused it and he just sat there and said, "No, Your Honor, that's not true as it didn't!", then that judge is NOT going to rule in his favor. Come on man, it doesn't work like that in reality no matter what the books say.

He's got to give a case no matter what! This also depends on whether or not he'll be able to take it to a court. This might be a case of arbitration, depending on what he signed on his contract at the dealer, and what his state's law is. If he goes to court against Ford they are defending the fact of what they did. It's up to HIM to prove his chip and other alterations did not do this, just as much as it is up to Ford to prove they did do it. That's why he needs AMMUNITION, not some "I do not have to worry at all cause Ford has to prove it" statement.

Robert, make sure you read my above post and follow those links. Get all you can out of that and print it as well!

BfB

Last edited by BfB; 09-03-2001 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Warranty on Engine Denied