Lightning

Could leaking ic make an L 4-6 10ths slower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Could leaking ic make an L 4-6 10ths slower?

Got the infamous ic leak recently and its just a trickle[ounces not quarts] Does anyone no if losing 4-6 tengths because of the leak is par for the course or am i in for bigger and better problems like tranny or engine? There are no obvious signs of trouble other than a slow leak and running slower in the 1320. My dealer said today that they would take my word for the leaky ic and ordered me the fix today with no dye testing or even looking at the L, But asking the service manager to check my compression,tranny ect because i am running slower all of a sudden the last few weeks seemed like i'd be pushing my luck lol.

Old 08-16-2001, 11:46 PM
Cool

Hey Greg,
The leaky intercooler is not your problem i have been there twice on that and never slowed me down either time,my guess is either your magic shocks or your suspension adjustment your friend made on your L a few weeks ago is what is slowing you down.Your truck is the same now except for those changes and your running slower ever since you installed them.If you had a tranny problem you would definitely know something is not right.How is your boost now compared to a month ago? I would put your truck suspension back to stock first and see what it does then put original shocks back on and see if any thing changes!See you saturday!

Matt

Old 08-17-2001, 12:03 AM
Matt, the boost go's in the black barely and drops at shift and right before i took those other plugs out i parked it in the garage one day and a couple of hours later tried to start it and it would die unless you held the gas.This went on for quite a while with or whithout the chip,so i finnally unplugged her and let her sit over night and the 700rpm idle was back to normal the nex't morning. I launched at stanton at 1600 rpm with barely any slippage so i don't think it is the shocks and the other mod is a pinion snubber and is fully adjustable to wear it is obsolete without taking it off. I also have a miss right now that i know is a cat sensor but i am letting the dealer deal with that.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:43 AM
ibfast,

If you have a bad sensor, it may cause your problems.

My L seems to be running really rich and is a couple 10ths off since my IC started leaking. I'm wondering if the 02 sensors don't cause it. If Ford is replacing the O2s as part of the IC fix, there must be a problem there.

OTOH, I don't see a lot of complaints about the trucks getting slower with the IC leak, so who knows?

Old 08-17-2001, 08:20 AM
Unhappy

This truck ran 12,'s only from spring to the middle of july in temps from 65-85 and now runs progressively worse.Ran not so great at a not so good track recently and i blamed it on track,weather and putting mufflers back on.Then at yet another not so good track at 76 -82 degrees i was running 13.1-13.30 and now at a great track 13.20-13.40 at 103. hmmmm .This is what happened to lightningquick a while back right before his tranny and motor went bang. And to make matters worse i added a lower pulley about 5-6 weeks ago so my times are off actually more than 4-6 tentghs from a best of 12.796 108.97 with chip and pro-m. Badoggie are you going to stanton saturday? I am getting an upper quick change pully in the mail today,maybe i can put that on too and run 13.6s lol.

Old 08-17-2001, 09:59 AM
i think the leak makes your truck slower..
i ran a 13.2 a week before mine started leaking..
now i am running 13.9-14.1's!

if the dealership wont replace my o2's and plugs, i'll do it myself dammit! i have a set of TR6 plugs waiting to go in.. how much are o2 sensors anyway?

brooks

Old 08-17-2001, 11:04 AM
I don't think the i/c leak makes you slower. Mine (2nd one) is now leaking and I ran a personal best 12.49 Wed nite.

All of the other symptoms are relevant though; eratic idle, stalling, running rich........all seem to occur, probably because of the sensors, when the i/c is leaking.

Distilled water (don't forget the lube) will help until you can get it fixed. Mine goes in....again.....on Monday.

Tim

Old 08-17-2001, 11:56 AM
Yes. You may have damaged your supercharger, too. Pumping any fluid, even distilled water, through the motor is not a good idea. Among other things under vaccuum the hot liquid gets sucked through the pinholes into the supercharger and peels the teflon coating off. You might try a can of BG cooling system sealant until you get the new i/c, but the best thing to do is drain your reservoir and disconnect the pump.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:43 PM
thats something i forgot to add in my post, alphadoggy..

the intercooler is the root of the problems, but i think the major problem is the teflon peeling off & clogging up the intercooler..
not enough air can get by..

does anyone know how much o2 sensors are?

brooks

Old 08-17-2001, 03:36 PM
I've been wondering if when that telfon peels off, not only does it plug the I/C like Brooks said, but also cause the blower to be less efficient because of greater clearances between the rotors. Seems like greater clearances would promote air leakage and power loss to me.

ib fast, you might have a couple of things going on. If the engine still sounds solid, don't sweat it just yet.

Jim

Old 08-17-2001, 04:54 PM
Cool

Clonetek, the sensors are around 99.00 a piece,so around 400.00 plus tax.

Old 08-18-2001, 12:20 AM
Exclamation

#@%@^#$#^#$^#%~#@%~@#$~@#%~@^% FOUR HUNDRED FRIGGIN DOLLARS??!?!?!??? $@!#!

guess who's gonna be taking some o2 sensors out & cleaning them with alcohol?

brooks

Old 08-18-2001, 05:01 AM
Wink

Yep,and the minute 2 or 3 of us buy some ford will figure there in demand and double the price lol.

Quick Reply: Could leaking ic make an L 4-6 10ths slower?