Lightning

RIP 03 Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by homer11
Well the bearings went because of a oiling problem. Lost oil pressure. . . ..
I'm installing an Accusump and a 2 candela oil pressure warning LED. That LED is so bright that it will sear your retinas if you look at it straight on.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was looking at the JLP long block. I know a few people in the States but no one close to the Manitoba border. Something like that would work great for me. I have a buddy that hauls down there all the time and would bring it across for me.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:03 PM
As Rob did; I too can recommend Kar Kraft Engineering. They sometimes get engines directly from Ford. I blew my 2001 L engine due to my bad oil changing routine and scored some crank bearings. I lucked out and got a brand new(never fired!), 2002 L long block from them. The man and woman I dealt with there were a little 'flaky' but they got my long block down here in a week after many phone calls.

Of course, JL's l/b would be even better, particularly if you can get someone to deliver it.

Dan

Old 03-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Well the bearings went because of a oiling problem. Lost oil pressure. Condensation caused pick-up to freeze. Doesn't like the winter. Don't use it enough. Won't be using it in the winter anymore.

As for the plugs, I'm using a mail order tune from jlp. But it could also be poor gas, As some of the gas we get here is questionable.

Short block is easiest, but the blocks still good and would save me some money I think. Not sure what machine shops are charging lately? Its been awhile since I rebuilt a automotive engine.
If you got 36000 km out of it you don't have an oiling system issue. Your mail order tune isn't correct based on what your spark plugs are telling you and that's your problem.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I finally got the motor torn down. First #2, 7, and 8 spark plugs where gone. #2 had the electrode burn right off, and 7 and 8 had broken porcelain around the electrode. What would cause this?

But the killer was the very front and very back main bearings had spun, and seized to the crank. Not good. The crank is marked so its screwed. Anybody know where a guy could buy the forged rods, pistons, and crank in Canada, that all the big lightning shops in the US are selling? What parts do you recommend using. All the pistons and cylinders are ok, but are they worth reusing? Is much gained by going to 20 over?
Jegs was ok with my forged crank, their price was comparable to ford racings price too. only problem is they seem to go quick and take time to be found again. i got mine for $360 last year?

Quick Reply: RIP 03 Lightning